Pages

Friday, February 28, 2014

The Joys of Custom Made.

Seeing as I am still a non-coffee drinker (when will it end????), I am slugging away the tea.  I have managed to go through most of my tea stash - thank goodness it has a long shelf life, as I just uncovered a tin of tea from Harrod's in London.  From 1994.  I had gotten a Keurig so that I could curtail my coffee-drinking.  But how would it handle tea?

I have one of those little plastic inserts that you can reuse because I will NOT add my tiny Keurig plastic cups to the Mt. Everest of disposable diapers out there in the landfills (the "away", as in throwing it 'away').  This insert works well with a tea bag.  But it's not quite as strong as I need to drink my tea.  So I dusted off my favorite little teapot - "Tiny".  It's perfect for a little over two big mugs of tea and I can make it as strong as I want.

I have had this teapot for years and years.  It was made by a potter I knew in Cleveland, who was also a friend of my father.  He is still living in Cleveland - in his 80s by now - and still throwing pots occasionally.  This is also the only teapot that does not dribble tea all over the table, my lap, the floor.  There was only one problem with it.  It was naked.  And it's cold in my house.

What to do?

Voila!  A tiny tea cosy!



13 comments:

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I love your little tea pot and the cosy is awesome love the colour. Looks kind of like a hat I may be able to make my pot one:) Hug B

Mama Pea said...

You are so talented! Did you make little long underwear to put on the pot first? ;o}

Susan said...

Buttons - I bet you could whip up at least a dozen, no problem! If you'd like the pattern (easy), send me an email.

Susan said...

Mama Pea - I'm still working on Scrappy's long johns... :)

Fiona said...

There is something cozy about a tea cozy! As to drinking tea...I have found a dash of nutmeg makes any tea a more soothing cold weather drink and add a dollop of natural honey [real honey that is not pasteurized etc] and it is awesome!

Keep warm and good luck with Scrappy's Long John's!

Susan said...

Fiona - I love tea cosies. I have a wonderful knitting book, but they are way out of my range at this point. I love honey in my tea (local and raw from my sister Melanie). I will try nutmeg - it sounds delicious!

LindaCO said...

It HAS been a long winter, hasn't it? ;-)

LindaCO said...

It ate my comment!

*ahem*
It HAS been a long winter, hasn't it? ;-)

DFW said...

Very cute!

Michelle said...

Very cute. I like my tea strong too. I open two tea bags and pour the tea into the little plastic cup for the machine. My husband broke my tea pot,sill waiting for a new one.

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

You're very talented with making sweaters, mits, tea cozy's and more.

This cozy is adorable!

Unknown said...

Cute! I love tea, not a coffee drinker. I used a lot of my teas in our Keurig K cup, worked well. I found the trick is- cut the teabag gently and put the tea in the K cup. No bag used. Put in as much tea as you want, and brew away!

Lisa said...

We use our Keurig as a hot water maker for tea.... steep the teabag for 5 minutes. What a cute tea cozy! Looks like a happy little pot of tea - just the thing to brighten up a cold winter's day.