Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

We've got bagels! Sort of.



On my way to bagel-ness
There is no way of keeping a bagel-loving girl down for long.  I may have suffered a temporary defeat, due to that darn GF thing, but where there's a will (and there was), there's a way.  I've experimented with all kinds of GF recipes for bagels.  None have satisfied until this one.   This is based on a King Arthur Flour recipe for GF oat bagels.  What I really like about these, is the tangy-ness that's achieved with the addition of molasses and ACV.  Oh, and cheese.  Gotta have the cheese!

I whipped up a batch of these this weekend - as most of you with gluten intolerance issues knows, GF baked goods do not have lastability.  Two days, tops, and it's Stalesville.   This recipe addresses the problem by having you make the bagels to just shy of their second rising, then putting them in the freezer.  I freeze mine on parchment paper sprinkled with coarse corn meal, then slip them into a zip-close bag.  To enjoy your bagel, just pull it out the night before, let it rest and rise in the fridge over night, and bake in the morning.  Easy-peasy. 

p.s. If you got a new post notification and can't open it -- it's because I meant to save it and published it and then saved it again.  Sheesh.

8 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I love the idea of freezing them then baking then next day. Yum!

Sue said...

It's always reason to celebrate when one can find a substitute for favorite baked goods.
Hope these satisfy your bagel cravings.
I'm still on the lookout for a decent English Muffin (GF) recipe. Most of them don't even come close to resembling those wonderful pocketed crispy delights.......

Mama Pea said...

Good for you, you willful, gal you. (Where there's a will . . . therefore, that makes you "willful?") (My sense of humor may be a tad lacking this morning, sorry.)

I must admit right here and now I've never (no, never ever) attempted making bagels. GF or not.

Susan said...

Kristina - All you have to do is remember the night before. And therein lies the problem...

Susan said...

Sue - I haven't found one either. The best I've found premade are Glutino's, but they are expensive!

Susan said...

Mama Pea - What?! Never? I am aghast! Must be my eastern-ness that made me do it.

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

Homemade bagels, love it!!! Glad to hear you found a GL recipe that works for you. How do the bagels taste?

Susan said...

Sandy - They do not really taste like bagels, but they are more bread-y with a sort of tangy-ness that comes with the molasses/ACV combo. I really like them toasted!