Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

Weekend Wap-Up. You Wascally Wabbits.

Sorry.  I am a little punchy this morning.  Well, thank goodness vacation week is over.  If it wasn't for a visit from someone(s) special, I would have wrapped myself up in my duvet (I needed it, gosh darn it - it SLEETED) with a giant, economy-sized bottle of Yellow Tail Sauvignon Blanc and would not have surfaced until June.

Here's the run down (and then I'll quite crabbing) - stolen wallet; non-stop gravel trucks, gravel noise, choking dust on the days it didn't SLEET; one madly wonderful shopping day; one solid day of chicken coop cleaning (worse than ever - I'm blaming it on the Guineas); a half-inch of sleet, followed by some fast cleaning truncated by a three hour power outage just before my visitors arrived.  I may be down, but I'm not out.

On Friday (after living through the power outage), things got downright wonderful.

It's so interesting, this Internet/blogging business.  I have formed some solid, marvelous, soul-enriching friendships with people I've never met.  And may never meet.  Luckily, due to a lovely, determined spirit with an accommodating husband, I actually met one of these special people.

Jane, Ice Man and Sophie (with the ever-
present tennis ball.)
Jane and the Ice Man from Hard Work Homestead! (A much-missed resource, I may add - and, in the spirit of her wish for continued privacy, the 'standard' cropped pic...).  That skirt was amazing - I wish I had gotten a better shot.
It's a good thing we did nothing but gab, as the weather was horrid.  There was some fluffy sheep petting, graham cracker feeding, Guinea whispering, and I believe that both dogs would have snuck onto the RV and gone back with them.  Bernie positively swooned onto Jane's lap and never left.  The Ice Man was thoroughly snorgled by Scrappy, who thought he was just the best thing ever.  Sophie decided that living the single life in the RV was preferable to the Scary Dogs.  What a beautiful girl she is!

We all waved them off with a heavy heart on Saturday night.  Thank you, Jane, Ice Man and Sophie, for making the long trip from spring back to winter - I bet you're glad to be back where it's no longer sleeting.  And thank you for the goodies!  And for your friendship.  My turn!

I made a quick trip up to see my goaties and Sage has gone from Tug Boat Annie to Betty Barge!  According to A, she should kid anytime from Wednesday to the weekend.  I sure hope it's twins, as that would be one big kid.  They were happy to see me and Sage seems to be settling down.  A's got all my numbers - it should be an exciting week.  I will, of course, let you all know. 

Since I needed to finish at least two big things on my list, I decided to tackle the goat fence.  Plus, I had the fear of God put in me, realizing that they will be returning before I know it!  I took down the 'temporary' fencing that's been there for two years, and paced out the t-post spacing.  Some things I've learned since taking up this homesteading venture:  when you live on rocks and plan to set t-posts, take your sledge hammer and a nice piece of rebar out first.  Do NOT start with pounding in the t-posts.  Another thing I apparently didn't learn was to check to see that I got the shorter posts.  I am NOT over 6 feet tall.  With my pre-pounding method, I was able to set three of the six posts fairly deep.  Two of the remaining three will require a ladder, and the last one may have to be set in the next town, as it seems to be solid rock where I need to put it. 

Glad I took some ibuprofen before bed...

16 comments:

Carolyn said...

Wow, your week was more than exciting. Maybe not all "good" kind'a exciting, but nonetheless. Oh, and to see the gang from HWH!?! Like they've been brought back to life! Glad (and a bit jealous) that you got to get together with them.
Once you've finished pounding your t-posts, feel free to pound a couple here. I think I saw a patch of dirt yesterday. Or it could have just been a handful of compost the chickens scattered. Oh, how fun to pound posts into granite.

Michelle said...

Glad you survived 'vacation'! Every experience I've had meeting blogpals has been equally wonderful. Oh that I could manage a trip to New York to meet a couple of my favorites-yet-to-be-met, you and Melanie!

Susan said...

Carolyn - Exactly! And they are totally awesome in person. Why, I'd be tickled pink to pound some posts for you - let me adjust my wrist brace and I'll be right over. Not. :)

Susan said...

Oh, that you could! And then we could get Carolyn and Mama Pea and Judy and Linda(s) and, and. That would be some get-together, wouldn't it? Sometimes it's hard to believe that you are on the other side of the country.

Erin said...

How great that you had some good company to pass away this yucky spring weather you are having! Yep, we miss Jane but it's nice to know she's still in her awesome skirts!

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

We had a great visit and enjoyed each and everyone of Little Lucky Farm critters. Friends, fellowship, and food is what life should be all about. I am jealous that there will be one or two new residents soon that we did not get to meet. Ah, next time :)

Susan said...

Erin - Looks like we will have about four weeks of spring this year. I better rev up the gardening tools!

Susan said...

My turn! My turn! Maybe I can find an old school bus and load everyone in - that should be fun. Loved, loved, loved your visit.

Candy C. said...

How fun that you got to meet a fellow blogger! At least it was a bright spot in your vacation week! Can't wait to see pictures of the new babies. :)

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,
Great news your vacation wasn't all bad. You were able to meet Jane and Iceman, I sure do miss her blog.

New babies will be there sooner than you think, I hope mama and babies will be just fine going through the delivery process.

Can't wait to see pictures of the new little ones running around.

I'm sending warmer weather your way!!!

SweetLand Farm said...

Yuck to the weather here too. Been cold and crappy weather, I'll be glad when it warms up and stays there.
Sounds like a busy weekend indeed. Can't wait to see the new babies!!!

Michelle said...

Sounds like your vacation had a good ending. I got to hold and feed my first baby goat this weekend. I love it. He even fell a sleep on me after I bottle feed him. They are so sweet.

Susan said...

Candy - I have my cell phone velcroed to my side and A promised to call me no matter what time she kids, day or night.

Susan said...

Sandy - I think we're finally getting the warmer weather you sent! At least it's not sleeting. I miss Jane's blog, too. It was such a great resource.

Susan said...

SLF - I think your weather has been crappier than ours! We need some warmth!!! (Hope your hand is healing...)

Susan said...

Michelle - Oh, I bet that was so wonderful. I am going to miss out on that, but I know that A will take very good care of all of them, mother, baby and uncle! :)