Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

What was/is going on.

Another whirlwind weekend has zipped on by -- I do swear that Weekend Time is faster than Weekday Time.  I come home Friday, all TGIF - go to sleep, wake up and then lots of things happen, then it's Sunday night and what the heck?!?!

This weekend was all about fencing.  Saturday morning I did a quick trip up to visit the babes (still unnamed, but I am closing in on them...), then some fast errands, then -- my Check Engine light came on.  Again.  So there was an unexpected 'pause' of two hours, as I sat in the waiting room at Midas while they ran even more diagnostics.  And because I am still adjusting to the loss of my wallet and am a complete creature of habit, I was sitting there with my tiny purse with no reading glasses.  Which was fine, since I had nothing to read or knit.  I just twitched.  It turned out to be a cellanoid (sp?) and they cleaned it off, reset the computer and replaced a hanger on my exhaust system.  By the time I pulled in the driveway, I was already behind.  I did manage to pound in all the t-posts before dark, so it wasn't a total loss.  Here are some "fascinating" fence pix...

Every move was supervised.

Reinforced fence line between Sheep/Goat areas.
Sunday was sunny, cold and windy - perfect weather to work outside with big, heavy rolls of metal fencing.  I am dripping sarcasm here.  I got the fence line that divides sheep/goats reinforced, then started on the new fence that bisects the goat area.  Then I ran out of fencing and had to wait for Kay's hubby to show up.  Luckily, they had an extra roll of fencing that I was able to buy - and Nick helped me run the new line along the trees and we finished the bisecting fence.  Then I disassembled a gate to create two new ones, came in and collapsed.  There is still a little nit-picky stuff to do but it is pretty much done.


Bisecting fence with 'housing' area.

New fence line along tree line.

Nifty, thrifty PVC gate.

Good thing, because these two are growing like weeds!  When I asked A about Sage's progress, she said (diplomatically), "Well, we are making progress.  She's a challenge."  Her feeling is that Sage's jumpiness is fear-based, which is easier to overcome than just orneriness.  Let's hope.

Under Uncle Chickie's watchful eye.

"Cute?  You want cute?  Well here I am!"

9 comments:

SweetLand Farm said...

I hear ya on the weekend flying by so much faster then the rest of the week! It was cold, windy and sunny here too. I'm hoping some warmer weather will come and decide to stay soon. the fences look good. always nice to get them up ad in order, with freezing fingers. that is so much betterrrr. ;)
the goats are cute too!

Susan said...

I am amazed by your energy. I tend to be like you, I can plug away at a project not realizing how tired I am and then crumble the minute I finish. The goats are adorable. I seem to have the knack for purchasing highly strung animals. I don't mean to, they seem to find me somehow. Or do they become highly strung under my care, I can be a little wired myself. I asked my children what they thought and they were rather evasive.

Mama Pea said...

Well, despite the cold it LOOKS like spring time at your place and that you got a lot of spring time projects done. Our last snowstorm took down part of the chicken pasture fencing. Not that the chickens are venturing out that far what with the fact that we still have 17' (slight exaggeration) of snow on the ground and the chickens are still wearing their bulky snowsuits and snow shoes.

Eager to hear the names for the new little ones.

Susan said...

SLF - This has GOT to be one of the coldest springs on record. Geez. I had to break ice on water three days straight so far. The only good thing about frozen fingers is that you can't feel the pain...

Susan said...

Your children sound very diplomatic... :) Sage was a lunatic from the first day she got here. My llama is half-blind and you can't get near her. Half of my chickens run the other way when they see me. We must have a lot in common. Besides the excellent name.

Susan said...

Mama Pea - Have you gotten any relief yet? Supplies mushed in? Your winter sure picked a heckova time to arrive. With the sun the last few days, things are greening up, cold temps or not. I should give you the runner-up names. They are a hoot!

Michelle said...

Wow You did have a busy weekend. That was a lot of fencing.

Unknown said...

It never ends does it? :) Cute goat and nice job with the fencing...

Candy C. said...

Congrats on getting the fencing up! I hope Sage settles down and becomes a good milker for you. :)