Pages

Monday, February 8, 2016

Monday Musings 36-42



1

2
 
3
 
4
 
5
 
6
 
7

1 - How many useful one gallon jars of various materials does one homesteader need?  Probably not six.  I refuse to throw this out, so am working on finding it a new home.

2 - In my own defense, at the time it sounded like an awesome idea.  I had visions of dispatching hordes of stinging insects and pesky flies with a flick of the wrist.  I mean, who doesn't want to experience the thrill of frying mosquitoes?  No?

3 - With a heavy heart and great trepidation, I have waded into the knitting/craft area in order to meet my quota.  It seemed only fair.  Plus it is the area of highest concentration of 'stuff'.  Still... I did find that I have more than one knit-from-the-heart-type books.

4 - Loved the look of this vintage knitting book, even if the tot on the front both makes me cringe and feel cold at the same time.  And we complain about mini-skirts? 

5 - I have knitted not one sock from the book, on the road or not.

6 - After careful deliberation, I have decided that I will NOT learn how to make soap.  A person has to draw the line somewhere.

7 - This big stack of magazines went to a new home, along with two other larger stacks that I did not list.  I wavered for years - paging through every now and then, an article catching my eye.  So I saved every one.  This weekend, I pulled on my BGPs and piled them all in a box and put them on Freecycle.  They were gone in a day.  Poof! 







16 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Okay, you are now getting me inspired to get back into my closet. Most of my crafting supplies are in there and I did not finish decluttering. I need warmer weather though.

Mama Pea said...

A couple of years ago I gave away two big cardboard boxes of magazines that I had saved for so long they probably would have been worth millions of $$$ on e-Bay. And you know what? I've felt good about that purging ever since. BUT there is my husband. Arrrrgh! He has issues of various magazines from up to 40 years ago that he insists he's going to go through to glean gems of wisdom he can't bear to pass up. I would honestly be embarrassed to tell you just how many cardboard boxes of magazines he has in our attic. Could you please speak with him? And explain how good your current purging binge feels to you?

Susan said...

Kristina - I know what you mean. The biggest thing holding me back from tackling my craft room (besides fear) is the fact that I have my apples/potatoes stored in there and it's COLD!

Acorn to Oak said...

If I'm understanding this post and a couple of your previous ones with a list of pics......you're going through things and getting rid of stuff you no longer need? Do the numbers at the top represent how many you're up to? I've been going through stuff like crazy around here and getting rid of stuff too. I have no idea what number I would have been up to though. Last week I filled the back of my big Yukon XL with stuff I no longer need or want and delivered it to a thrift store. I've been giving a lot to friends too. It feels so good to simplify and get rid of things. It's like taking stuff off my to do list....projects, etc. that I no longer need to worry about. Nice! Happy cleaning! :-)

Susan said...

Mama Pea - Put him on the phone! :) I was holding onto mine for the same reason until I realized I had gone through 20 issues and ripped out two pages. Pfft.

Susan said...

ATO - Yep, I am aiming for one item for every day of this year - 365. I've gotten rid of more than I've published, so I am starting to feel like I'm making headway. It does feel good!

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

Really doing good girl, I'm proud of you.
I need to borrow you to help in our garage, LOL......
It's a project in a half, my husband saves everything.

Susan said...

Sandy - Oh, I'd love to! It is so much more fun helping with other people's 'treasures'... :)

Susan said...

Looks like you might have hit the mother lode of "stuff". Magazines and book purging takes me forever as I usually find something interesting and sit down to read, forgetting all about the task at hand.

Candy C. said...

No soapmaking for me either, I'll leave the lye to those with more experience!! I must say, I miss Hobby Farm Home. I was disappointed when they quit publishing it. (sigh)

Acorn to Oak said...

Awesome! :-)

Unknown said...

OK, I'm not a hoarder. (That's because I live in an 11,000-square-foot former school. You just need a bigger place!) BUT I loves my stuff. Gallon jars are great for keeping dried tomatoes and herbs in, and old game pieces, and brackets and small wheels and shiny things... I just wanted to chime in here among all you tidy-aholics and say, "but what if you need that?" You'll have to go buy one. I'll never have to do that. Unless I just can't find it in the clutter.

Susan said...

Susan - This time, I was smarter - I didn't even crack the covers. I just shoved them in a paper bag and put them on Freecycle!

Susan said...

Candy - I agree. HFH was one of the best of the lot. I have so many friends who make soap, and there is so much wonderful handmade soap at our farmers markets, that it just doesn't pay to make 10 bars of my own.

Susan said...

U - Holey crap! 11,000 square feet? Heaven! This is what I am afraid of - having blissfully purged lots of stuff, I will find I need it almost immediately.

thecrazysheeplady said...

I made the same decision about soap :-).