Pages

Monday, February 29, 2016

Monday Musings - 56-62

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

We had one of "those" days yesterday - you know, the kind of day full of sunshine, soft breezes and full of promise.  The days that make you do your laundry super early so you can hang it on the line.  The kind of days that even fools the birds into singing their spring songs.  It's a slippery slope, this time of year in the north-ish.  Need I add that today is NOTHING like yesterday?  No wonder northerners are a tough breed - they have to withstand Farch, that fickle season between winter and spring.  Pfft.

Back to purging.  I did not have that burst of energy that was supposed to propel me into the craft/office/sewing/seeding room.  It propelled me outside into the fake spring.  Even the dogs were all het up.  However, here is the latest in 'to-go' fashion... :)

1- How many of you have one or five of these?  Those large, rather graceless glass vases that are sent with a floral bouquet.  Unfortunately (or not) I only have one.  Which shows you how often I receive floral bouquets.  It is a sad reminder.  Out it goes.

2- I only took this because my mother thought I needed it (which means she did not - my mother is a Super Purger) .  I have not had the need for a round, electric frying pan.  Ever.  I know there is someone out there who will love it.

3- I have been clinging to this for a couple of years.  However, I have at least four other nifty organizers that are better suited to their use.  I tried this as a sheep first aid kit holder, but it was not drench/wormer/etc. container friendly.  With a deep sigh (and an inkling of regret) it is going.

4- I received this as a gift (and please forgive me if you are reading this) but I have no place for it.  I tend to be an anti-decorating person (other than my holiday decorations from a certain someone - MP - that I treasure and keep out until summer).  I know it will find a good home.

5- Another example of something I love but cannot use.  It is a beautiful spoon, but does not fit in my utensil holder and I have very limited drawer space.  Plus, my new motto is that, "if I haven't used it in a year (or three), I don't need it."  Another object that will find a good home.

6- I have two of these buffet warmers.  Want to know how many buffets I've had?  Nuff said.

7- This went out the door before I got a photo of it.  It has been re-gifted to a very dear friend.  It was a hand-thrown pot of Southwestern Indian origins and she loved it.  I didn't.

So - onward and upward.  I did manage to go through half of my stored apples.  I dehydrated them and the trimmings (there were buckets-full) made the sheep and llama very happy.  I have plans to make applesauce with the remaining apples this coming weekend.  I will have to say that my storage method works very well, for someone with no basement or root cellar.  I keep them in coolers in my craft/office/sewing/seeding room.   The heat has been turned off in that room, so it is nice and cool.  I keep the curtains pulled, so it is dark.  I did have to learn to keep the coolers cracked open just a bit so that the excess moisture has somewhere else to go.  Anyone else use this method?  Got a better one?  I'm all ears!




15 comments:

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I am not a purger I am closer the other word I am sure you know what it is. They do a lot of series about it:) You are so wise. Take care ans it is nice weather here right now I am getting outside. HUGS B

Mama Pea said...

We had that spring day (it was soooo lovely!) on Saturday. Back down in the deep freeze yesterday, wind howling and snow blowing last night, 10° this morning. Cold weather all week but then (maybe?) spring time again next Saturday.

That round electric skillet looks to be in pristine condition . . . they go for a profitable price on eBay. I know it's a hassle, but you might want to think of selling it there?

Susan said...

Buttons - Yes, being rather like the 'other' myself has led to me this purge project. I hope your weather is glorious - enjoy your beautiful cows!

Susan said...

Mama Pea - It is pristine because it was my mother's. But I don't have the time or inclination to put this on eBay. I will donate it to Goodwill, take a tax write off and let them reap the benefits if they can.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

sooner or later there will be nothing left! i took carloads out of here and i still have more to go!

Susan said...

I'm so impressed with your numbers and your discipline.

Sue said...

I use your #3 tote for my seed packets/labels when I go out to "sow a row". Handy little number.

You're doing an amazing job--keep up the good work!
(then come do MY mess!!)
:D

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,
Keep on doing what you're doing girl!!!! Right now I'm looking at a large shelving unit with all kinds of stuff from my Mom's kitchen in my living room. Most I can use however, there's no room to store the items in my old kitchen.

Florida Farm Girl said...

Ah, I immediately recognized # 6 cause I have one too!! Had two of them but gave one away. Who knows when this one will ever get used again. Moving cleared out a whole bunch of my overabundance of stuff.

Susan said...

Jaz - if only that were true...

Susan said...

Susan - what you don't see is all the angst over what stays and goes. It's crazy.

Susan said...

Sue - I'll put you on the list... :)

Susan said...

Sandy - Oh, my! And I bet there are a lot of good memories involved, too. That just makes it harder.

Susan said...

FFG - Well, thank goodness! I really think that you and I are the only ones that do. I keep thinking that I will need it as soon as it's out the door.

Jenyfer Matthews said...

I am very much looking forward to starting a major purge... soon, very soon...