Pages

Monday, October 15, 2018

All that's missing is the hot tub.

I had planned on putting last weekend aside as an All Work Weekend - with no family or other interruptions.  Then my sister asked me to go with her to New Hampshire on Saturday.  This is doable, but it is an all day affair.  I could not say no.  For, not only will I do anything she wants, she is great company and it was my last chance to see three of my very favorite people.
My nephew, his partner and the cutest boy on Earth.
Soon on their way to NC.  We will miss them
something awful.
Instead, I took Friday off and spent most of the day putting the finishing touches on the Super Duper Deluxe Quail Condo.  All it's missing is a hot tub in every room.  It even comes with room service...


Predator proof, draft proof, winter proof
(I hope)

Matching rooms with matching
amenities
It is now reinforced on both sides (back to come - I couldn't get my drill back there) and has removable Plexiglas panels to let in light and keep out wind.  They seem to be very comfortable - we've had low 30s two nights in a row.  This coming weekend, they will be moved to their winter headquarters in the shed, and I will have to work out a new routine.  Our routine is always being tweaked.  If all goes well, they should start laying eggs next month.  Which would be a nice change, since both the chickens and ducks have apparently gone on strike.


I'm also trying to get all my artwork up on the walls where I can appreciate it.  I made a small stride, with the hanging of my youngest sister's portrait of a friend.
It's (obviously) the picture on the lower
right.  I think you can biggify to see it better.
I have come to a compromise with my cousin's socks - because I just could NOT not add some color.
I mean, really....the color will be inside her shoe...
I will finish Sock One today and then start immediately on Sock Two.  Otherwise, it may be months.  Given the list of things to do outside this weekend, I kept cooking to something(s) simple - rice and beans and butter chicken in the Instant Pot.  That has to be my favorite comfort food of all time - there is something about the combination of spices that warms my cockles and everything else.


The garlic got planted, tomatoes (pathetic things that they were) yoinked out and the geraniums made it into pots and through the door.  We haven't quite made frost levels yet, but it was 34 degrees Sunday morning.  That meant that I could build the first fire of the season and test drive my shiny new chimney.  It was groovy, man! 


The update on my job status is ... nothing has changed.  We continue in the Twilight Zone, with no communication from HQ as to how long I will be here.  If there is one ray of sunshine to come out of this maelstrom, it is that I am a very, very lucky and blessed person when it comes to friends.  Very.  Now, all I need is a philanthropic auto mechanic...





17 comments:

ellen abbott said...

what's the black thing to the left of the portrait? what's the ratio of quail eggs to chicken eggs? 2 to 1? I should learn to knit, for no other reason than the socks. Ha. not gonna happen.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Oh, I envy you. First fire in the season. Hubby is holding me off, phooey, we could use a bit of heat right now too. I sure hope something works out for your job.

Susan said...

It's a metal sculpture, done by my sociopath ex-partner. He was talented - I'll give him that. And that's all. I would think 4:1, quail eggs : chicken eggs, if you're referring to size. I can't wait to find the first one. Socks are very fun to knit (at least the first one) because you can make them in any color you want! I am currently wearing my Poison Candy socks.

Susan said...

I love a fire, but usually just build one on the weekend. I wouldn't get to enjoy much during the week. My dogs have their piles of fleece blankets to keep them warm. I do, too, Kristina.

Mama Pea said...

What a palace your quail house looks to be! I should think they would be very grateful for such luxurious digs and pay you back with dozens of tiny, lovely quail eggs. Each week.

What can you do regarding the wobbly job situation? Nuttin', honey. (Remember that commercial?) I'd say you're handling the stress and emotional roller coaster very well. Hang in there.

Ed said...

That is the fanciest quail hutch I've ever seen!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You spoil those quails!

Theresa said...

Egads, imagine if the dogs thought the quail got a hot tub. What might they demand? How many quail eggs to make an omelet? ;-) What a beautiful sock and I love the picture. I have been considering an edition of of dogs at the card table.
I believe it should be hung at canine viewing level though....
Looks like you have 3 great reasons to a little vacay in the Carolinas I think.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

the quail house is wonderful! so are those socks! we have cool weather and i am thrilled. i have all the doors and windows open! i have waited so long that i am determined to enjoy every second of this while it lasts! 36 degrees tonight which is perfect to cool off my 12 plumb puddings outside since there is no way i could put them in my fridge. this weather works for me on so many levels!

cocoya said...

I love a fire, but usually just build one on the weekend. I wouldn't get to enjoy much during the week. My dogs have their piles of fleece blankets to keep them warm. I do, too, Kristina.

D2bet

Michelle said...

Oooh, maybe I can leave a comment now! Do tell us all about the sociopath! :-D

Elaine said...

If I were a quail, I would be very happy to book into your quail palace. It is splendid. Artists sign their work, why not a flourish of colour to sign your beautiful socks? You accomplish so much. Here I sit in my 'fairy factory' working long hours and yet my production rate has dropped off from last year, I need to follow your example...you set the bar so bloomin' high!

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Those are some serious accommodations! I hope they appreciate them! -Jenn (Oh yes, wanted to add, I love the expression, "yoinked".)

tpals said...

My hens are on strike as well; down to three eggs a day. I can't be annoyed when I see how raggedy they look while moulting. I just hope their feathers regrow quickly. Why do they fall out when the temps are dropping? I'd think the hot weather would be a more sensible time.

Lynne said...

Your nephew's son is so handsome. Love the results of the Quail house. Great job! I'm sure it wasn't an easy put together. They are some lucky little Quail. The sock are looking good ! Like the color you added. Some times things happen for the best. your going to be just fine. Take care !

Nancy In Boise said...

Great digs for your little birds! Ditto here, 2 older hens on strike, but the 3 news ones should start laying soon. We got a warm week this week, but won't last...

Susan said...

The quails have a nicer house than I do! I’m awfully tempted to get some. I expect HQ are talking to the robots in HR. Both live on another planet to the likes of you and me and have little to no understanding of human needs.