Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2018

Other things.

Since I am tired of thinking/talking/whining about the job thing, I thought I'd pop in with something totally unrelated - puny duck eggs!
Dimples must have sneezed...
And beautiful handspun yarn!
First ear warmer of the season
I did not spin this lovely stuff - an equally, if not even more lovely friend on the Left Coast sent it in a surprise package and I wanted to make something that I could wear and enjoy all winter long.


I am now working on a pair of socks for my cousin, who has very strong opinions about socks.  I have to admit that it's taking some of the fun out of the entire process, but onward and upward.  I am knitting them in a plain vanilla pattern, out of a charcoal and light grey marl-type yarn.  Those of you who have followed along for a while, know that I tend toward 'brilliant' colored socks.  I mean, if you're going to put all that work into them, shouldn't they be shouting from your feet?  I think so.


I am also wearing my little green cardigan today.  This is a big step for me because I usually knit a garment and then never wear it.  I'm not sure why.  Probably because I am the type of person who writes her grocery list in initial upper case and lower case letters, while writing her menu board in all caps.  In other words, I am a wing nut!


Speaking of toothpaste....why is it that there is nothing but mint flavored adult toothpaste?  Why?  I have found that I cannot abide mint as I get older and there's nothing worse than choking, coughing and gagging whilst you're trying to brush your teeth.  It's like trying to play the flute while you're laughing, but messier.  I finally found children's toothpaste in mango, and in strawberry.  I can happily brush for hours with that stuff.


I'll be working my tuckus off this weekend, getting the quail housing done and the little stinkers out of my laundry room this weekend.  I will also be merging the boys into the flock on Sunday.  This should be interesting.  I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and I will catch up with you next week!



10 comments:

tpals said...

Crest cinnamon burst - the only toothpaste I like. And if I knit socks they would be as wild and wonderfully colorful as I could make them. :)

Rain said...

Hi Susan :) Good luck with the quail house!!!
Alex can't handle mint in the toothpaste either. He gets heartburn from it. We've tried those holistic type of toothpastes, but they don't really get the teeth clean. So we've also resorted to children's toothpaste for him! I remember as a kid having bubble gum flavoured toothpaste and I LOVED IT. If I could find it again, I'd probably use it! :)

Susan said...

The stuff for sensitive teeth has no flavor. I've been looking at self employment opportunities in rural areas. Pet hotel screamed out at me, you would be perfect and you could build the kennels yourself.

Ed said...

We all have our idiosyncrasies.

ellen abbott said...

I fennel, propolis, and myrrh and doesn't have all those nasty sounding chemicals. not minty but I guess you have to be a fan of fennel. I hate mint flavored. unfortunately the two two stores here only carry mint flavored dental floss. ugh. well, unless I go to the heinous Walmart. then I can get unflavored.

I ate a duck egg one day. my sister gave us two and my husband made fried egg sandwiches for lunch. I ate mine jumped in the truck and headed to the gym for my workout. feeling a little nauseated by the time I got there, went in and canceled my appt with the trainer jumped back in the truck and headed home. by the time I got in front of the house in the middle of the street I was fighting off throwing up. threw it in park ran in the house yelling at the husband to move the truck and barely made it to the bathroom in time and puked. never eaten been tempted to eat another one.

Florida Farm Girl said...

Glad to hear there's somebody else out there who doesn't like mint!!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I love the color of yarn you are using for the ear warmer.

Elaine said...

Beautiful yarn, I love those soft and gentle colours. Trouble is, I also love loud and shouty colours, which is why I don't go into yarn shops. I want everything - and I don't knit.

I like baking with duck eggs but that is tiny! Sorry Dimples.

Mama Pea said...

Oh, for small duck egg! The scenario I imagine is that a hawk flew over the duck yard, someone yelled, "Duck!" and Dimples rather unexpectedly laid that egg before having had the time to put the finishing development needed into it. (Okay, pretty lame but I'm trying to be funny. Not succeeding, though, am I?)

When knitting socks for Papa Pea, I have to rein in my desire for the bright colors. Although, he likes his hand knit socks so much, I'm thinking I may be able to slide in more color as I go along. (Bwah-ha-ha!)

Lynne said...

Like the yarn. It's so pretty, also looks soft.What a wonderful friend. They are few and far between. I've been told that baking soda makes a good toothpaste and whiten teeth ?? Not sure about that. The duck egg looks pretty, but tiny. Take care