Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Catching the Universe Off-Guard - It Ain't Easy.

After wringing my hands over the weather forecast for the past week - the day arrived for my chimney removal and replacement with the forecast of 90% rain.  Since the chimney guys had not called to cancel or reschedule, I figured, what the heck.  Getting ready for the work entailed my having to move all my bedroom furniture from one wall to the next - they needed access through the back wall of the fireplace, which is my bedroom wall.  Giant dust bunnies were tamed and removed.  Five ton mattresses were hefted and dragged.  Furniture was shoved, pushed and (wo)manhandled.  I did draw the line at breaking down my bed frame.  It is solid golden oak, with a 7-foot headboard.  I managed to shove it far enough away from the wall to give them room to work.   I have my limits.


The dogs were corralled and given marrow bones.  When the trucks arrived, they got right to work and I will have to say they were prompt, courteous, fast, and tidy.  The sky reminded me of a sodden blanket and we were waiting for the skies to open up and rain to pour down.  They had brought a huge tarp, but I had visions of trails of mud through my living room and bedroom.  For once, the Universe was looking elsewhere.  The skies did, indeed, open up with torrential rains, but not until the deed was done and the crew gone.
The new chimney.  In all its $$ glory.
Braced and with a cricket (ice guard), the house will fall down around it before it comes apart.  While they were working, I made granola and had pear/apple butter in the slow cooker.  I may have been surrounded by chaos, but it smelled great!  While I was biding my time, I found that the battery in my phone was not holding a charge.  I'd charge it to 100%, unplug it, open an app and watch the juice run down.  Le sigh.  I did a quick Google search about problems with iPhone batteries and found that, indeed, there were a great many people with problems, prompting the threat of lawsuits which, in turn prompted Apple to offer battery replacement at about 50% of the usual cost through December of this year.  I did a quick 'chat' with Apple and found a local-ish place that had an opening at 3.  Bingo!  Out I went in the pouring rain and dropped it off.  As things are now in limbo - as in how long I will be employed - instead of spending my wait time perusing store aisles, I sat in my car, rain pounding down, and listened to my latest book on CD. 





Saturday was a day of Plan Bs.  As I ventured out to put Bunny the Hun in a cat carrier for his Date with Destiny (3 strikes and he was out), I saw the unmistakable hulking forms of sheep in my backyard.  I am still not sure how they got out.  Luckily, I was awake enough (three cups o' coffee since o'dark thirty) to NOT let the dogs out the back!  Wellies and jim jams on, I herded them back to where they belonged.  I did some clean up around the place and then headed to VT, where we were celebrating my mother's birthday for the second time (third time coming up this weekend).  Apparently, our family cannot get enough of birthdays....  As I drove out of my sister's driveway, I heard the telltale 'thump, thump' of a flat tire.  Sure enough, the right driver's side was a pancake.  As I frantically called my Midas guy, a very nice fellow drove up and asked if I wanted him to change my flat.  Why, yes I did.  I caught Vern before the last mechanic left and he agreed to wait for me.  Half an hour later, I wobbled in on the donut and, an hour later, steamed out with two new tires.  This little segue took all the remaining time out of my day, so I only had three minutes to wish Marianne bon voyage on their trip to the UK, then beelined home so I could arrive during daylight. 


This also put all the pressure to achieve the must-dos off The List to Sunday.  I am not lying if I say that I started when it was light enough to maneuver outside (6:30ish) and didn't finish until my friends arrived with the roosters, just before dinner time.  All my plans for a fancy-schmancy dinner went out the window and we ended up with a giant pan of roasted vege (everything roastable in my fridge) and steaks on the grill.  They were wonderful and helped me change the brooder bedding, moved my lemon tree indoors, consulted on the adaptation of my hutch, entertained the dogs, and were generally wonderful company.
Fritz the Frizzle (top left) and Big
Red (bottom right)

I'll get better pics when they are
out with the girls - next weekend.
At 8:30, I collapsed in my chair and was immediately covered in exhausted pups and a relieved cat.  Then I remembered that I had to at least start breaking down the bedroom. 


Monday was a trip into the Twilight Zone.  My two ex-colleagues and the new firm they have joined are subleasing part of the office.  This means they work in the front and I am enisled in the back.  Next week I put together my resume because this, to me, is like adding insult to injury.





19 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Wow what a weekend. Glad you got your chimney despite the weather. Those roosters are pretty nice looking.

Theresa Y said...

Oh, so that's was the HUGE exhalation of breath I heard. It was you! Glad everything worked in your favor for a change. Yeah, that working situation stinks. Do those two girls have hearts? Do they sleep at night? I think not...

tpals said...

You taught me a new word! I wish we lived closer; I could have offered you some lovely roosters too. I'm just not in the chopping mood this year. Hope you find a new position you like.

ellen abbott said...

wow. how rude of your ex-coworkers. and glad you got the chimney finished before the rain. it still rains just about every day here and Rocky and Gunnar had to quit yesterday before the gutter going up along the front of the house was completely installed because, can you guess? rain.

Ed said...

I had both of our iPhone batteries replaced earlier this year and I am glad we did. It is like having a new phone and with the latest tagging in at $1100, I'm going to milk this one for as long as possible.

Susan said...

Sucks re the job. I was squeezed out. Then they repeatedly called to see if I would volunteer as they were desperate for someone with my skills, WHAT! Think about what you would really love to do ( other than staying home full time), tell everybody, at the vet office, grocery store, library, chimney guys. I got the best job I ever had from mentioning my search at a Tupperware party.

Rain said...

Hi Susan :) Oh the chimney looks grand! I know that feeling when you fall down on the couch with the pets and then you realize you have more work to do before you can actually sleep....or you sleep on the couch, which I've done lol...my Android battery does the same thing once in a while. I have to just let it drop down to zero, turn it off for a while and recharge it. That helps a little, but with all these updates and battery-sapping apps, I prefer to just keep my phone UN-loaded.

Mama Pea said...

I know I'm acting like a stubborn dinosaur, but I continue to be glad we don't have a smart phone. Or whatever the heck the latest and greatest is called. (Truthfully, I fear it would be smarter than both of us put together.) We still have only one flip phone that we have for emergencies when out together and it goes with which one of us who ever ventures out alone. We pay around $20 a month for it and know we would never get such a deal again . . . on any cell phone.

Good deal on getting your chimney fixed. That will be a comfort this winter especially when high winds prevail.

The distressing saga of your employment continues. Drat. Don't fret, my pet, I have a feeling all will turn out well for you. Hugs.

Susan said...

They are, Kristina. I'm used to Bunny, who was small (and ornery). These two - especially Red - are big! I hope they stay as sweet as they are now.

Susan said...

You have that right, Theresa! At least that is one less thing to worry about this winter. It is uncomfortable, to say the least and I don't think either of them lose sleep.

Susan said...

Neither was I - in the chopping mood. I handed him off to someone who was. I hope so, too. I can tell you that it won't have anything to do with lawyers, lobbyists or legislators.

Susan said...

It seems we are getting the same weather, Ellen. There hasn't been one day without some sort of damp event. Driving up over the mountain today, you couldn't see more than 20 feet in front of you. Pea soup!

Susan said...

I am hanging onto mine for dear life. I have no interest in shelling out that kind of money for a phone. No matter how hooked I am.

Susan said...

I know! I refer to my journey here as kicked to the curb. Then they stand at my door, wringing their hands because they can't set up their new computers. Tell someone who cares, I say. That is what I am doing. I got a job offer from the chimney guy! Wouldn't cover the bills but it was appreciated.

Susan said...

Hi Rain! That's why I don't have Facebook on it - they want you to upload huge 'fixes' every other day until there's no room for anything else. NOT. As I'm sure you know, as soon as you stop moving, you are a target for anything warm and furry... :)

Susan said...

Heck, no, Mama Pea. I think you two are smarter than smart phones! I really had to laugh when I looked at that new chimney. I mean, if it goes, it will take the roof with it. I'm just hoping it's not going to be a PIA when there's snow piled up around those braces. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm trying not to fret and most of the time I do pretty well. Every time I start to get worked up, I go clean something. It's working! xo

ElaineChicago said...

Susan, life sometimes sucks.....but you have the Kids, the Barn Guys, the Chimney Guys and a Sweetheart House. Keep up your ever-positive attitude!!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

OMG, what a week you had! And wellies and jim jams? You minx!

Theresa said...

Susan, I wouldn't expect less than excitement, danger, good food, bad phones, sweet pups, errant sheep, evil roosters and wow, a Golden Oak bed frame. It must be a beauty! Love the new chimney. We have triple wall pipe that goes from first floor and up...gulp..30 plus feet through the roof and above. The cost still shocks me.
Hugs and pets all around.