Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Scary things. Sweet things.

Happy Halloween, everyone!  I have flounced into the office with my very special witch's hat firmly in place.  To hell with protocol.  I am secretly hoping the traitors have a client in the office so I can parade by....(insert evil cackle).


Let's start with the sweet things.


I could eat her with a spoon.
I don't know how people get such great photographs of their dogs in costumes.  Of course, it is difficult to hold a treat in one hand and try to click a pic with the other.


Pat the Bat
The only costume that will stay on the Pat (aka Peanut) involved a harness.  But he is so wiggly that the wings were constantly askew.  Still, he is a dumpling and as sweet as one.


Meringue 'ghosts' for the Barn guys
Mummy meatballs
I had so much fun recreating the party that was not.  Since I had gotten all the supplies, I figured I'd go ahead and make it all and spread it around.  It turned out to be a very good thing to have postponed the party - we had rain and gale force winds all day on Saturday.  It did a Wizard of Oz number on my hoop house, but that's another post.


Main course
Voila!
I did a Meals on Wheels gig to my second parents and neighbor - the recipe was from Martha Stewart but I realized, early on, that Martha must have had special Martha Pumpkins.  I tried to get the smallest pie pumpkins I could find and they still were too big!  Luckily, parents no. 2 managed two meals out of the delivery.  The pumpkins were filled with a sausage/bean stew that took two days.  I believe we can count on this being a one-off.


Speaking of pumpkins, I am steadily filling the freezer with roasted pumpkin.  Thanks to the cancellation of the party, I have five more to process.  I should be set.  For the millennium.  This was the second Long Island Cheese pumpkin I roasted:


From Marianne's farm.  Even the stem is perfect.

Beautiful dark orange goodness.
These are not mine, but some of my very creative youngest sister's creations:




This is as creative as I got:


My party centerpiece
I imagine that it would have driven my poor, old dad out of the door.  I don't think he can grasp Halloween anymore.  I'm looking forward to tonight - my bestie is arriving for a two-night stay!







16 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Cute doggie costumes. Have fun with your bestie!

tpals said...

Your yummies look amazing! So clever.

Theresa said...

Oh heart be still, Pat the Bat! Too flipping cute. No costumes this year. My little flying tube steak was at the vet yesterday for planned surgery, dental and some skin anomalies removed. She has 6 little stitch spots all over her mini body.
Those pumpkins are wonderful! Love using the stem as a nose...cackling here today in Oregon. Blessed be Susan and treats to all!

Susan said...

Thanks, Kristina. I had contemplated a tiara to match Lovey's tutu, but with those beseeching eyes of hers, I decided against it. She is a good sport.

It's amazing what's out there in Google Land!

I know! Isn't he the cutest? Such a sunny boy. We were at the vet yesterday and everyone stopped what they were doing to exclaim over Peanut - he is a vet favorite. He was cheerful right up to the moment Dr. Cici stuck him with a needle! Poor little M! I know she is getting a lot of TLC, poor lamb.

Mama Pea said...

You have creativeness falling out of your fingers! Martha has nothing on you, my friend! That centerpiece is just perfect. As are your furry kids and their costumes.

I'm apparently off-kilter this week, I thought tomorrow was Halloween. Good thing we don't get any trick or treaters out here or I would be scrambling today to come up with something.

Michelle said...

I knew you wouldn't let your holiday plans go completely to waste. Wish you were closer to share some of that pumpkin bounty, although I prefer other winter squashes like butternut or sweetmeat. I usually score some locally grown ones somewhere, but this year looks like a bust. I will be using the few remaining pints in my freezer judiciously!

Susan said...

Mama Pea - It really is not a big deal for me, other than the decorating! We get no visitors out here - probably afraid they'll be shot. I'm dying to figure out a pirate costume for both of the furrys for next year - I'll probably have to glue Peanut's onto his eely body.

Michelle - I wish we were closer, too! (You know me so well...) My neighbor had a bumper crop of butternut squash this year and they are huge! I prefer them, too, but we work with what we are blessed, no?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love every photo you posted! Good for you for spreading around Halloween foodie joy. Your sister's pumpkins rock!

ellen abbott said...

very clever little foods. I'm going to celebrate the way I do all holidays...I don't. well, Thanksgiving, I do cook my share for dinner with the fam. and I hope you cackled at the traitors every time you passed by them.

Lynne said...

Your dogs are adorable! Mine won't sit still for five minutes, altho' I tried. That stew looks so good. Lucky neighbors to have you and vise versa. I do love that perfect pumpkin. How did she grow it so perfect? Happy Halloween to you too!!!

Theresa Y said...

Wonderful pictures. The puppies are just too cute!!! Happy Halloween.

Ed said...

It wouldn't be the first time Martha Steward used something that I probably couldn't obtain within a 100 mile radius of where I live.

Nancy In Boise said...

Oh so cute!!! I MISS having dogs, down to one (beloved) cat. I dressed my dog Angel up one year as, a angel. We visited a senior center. She was quite the hit! Although the halo was askew! So cute!!!

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

What adorable ghosts and meatballs! (the dogs are pretty cute, too!). -Jenn

Rain said...

Happy Halloween Susan!!! :) The pups are ADORABLE!!! Oh I did meringue ghosts too! Your little meatball men are so cool!! Your sister's punkins are great!!! I never think of using the stem for a nose...enjoy the visit with your bestie!!! :)

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i love that centerpiece and the meatballs and ghosts! late happy halloween.