Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2018

Ketchup.

I am way behind on my posting!  This is iffy territory for someone who struggles to remember what she had for breakfast...


In lightspeed ------


The weather stinks, stanks stunks!  Dealing with the weird weather can really put a damper on achieving results on The List.  It's either frigid, raining, or both.  I haven't seen the sun in such a long time that I've started taking my daily D3 a month early.  My solar-powered lights that festoon my pergola have petered out - not enough sun to charge their batteries.  Everyone looks droopy.


Remembered to check the oil in my car and it was down to a drop!  Geez.  Put three quarts in and we're good to go to the next oil change.


Quail care has been successfully worked into the routine!  There are still a couple of tweaks and then they will be moved to their winter quarters, and we will be totally off the tracks again.


There's been a little too much 'romance' in the coop with the two roosters!  One of my older girls was slightly injured by too much (ahem) attention and had to spend a day and night in the hospital ward.  She is fine now and the boys have gotten a talking-to.  Fritz will have to be rehomed.


My garden is about 90% ready for winter!  I fear that is about as done as it will get this year.  My third planting of hearty greens in the cold frame are coming along famously.  Most of the raised beds will have to be replaced - a few at a time.  I have rethought the fencing and have decided to go with electric netting, starting in the spring. 


I don't have enough hay!  I still am down half of the hay I need for winter and have been dropping none-too-subtle hints to the farmer.  It's so frustrating to be beholding to people for what you need, sometimes.  However, all his corn is now in, so I am hoping to be moved to the top of his list.  I can rest easy with a barn full of hay.


My furnace won't be serviced until tomorrow morning!  The forecast for tonight and into tomorrow is low 20s.  Pfft.  I'm so glad my dogs don't go visiting often.  They would be aware that most people do not keep their homes at 58 degrees.  Most people keep their homes warm.  My reasoning of "The cold will preserve us longer" would fall on deaf ears.


My sister, bless her heart, arrived Sunday morning and helped me clean out the chicken coop!  It was the first time in 13 years that it was fun.  We're trying something different this winter - I put down an old tarp and put shavings on top.  The plan is that we will be able to drag it out, with its stinky load, in the spring.  The hens were highly alarmed at the alien floor.  It took Rhubarb, my brown leghorn, who HAD to lay an egg (one of only two that seem willing to do so) to venture in and break the curse.  (Look!  She's still ALIVE!!!)


I got a cold!  Sunday night, after deciding to start the first fire under the brandy-new chimney, I realized I might have picked a less windy day.  The ensuing bursts of smoke irritated my nose and I thought that was why I was blowing it every five minutes.  Wrong-o.  I awoke Monday morning with a full-blown head cold.  At least I hope it's just a head cold, and not the flu.  A head cold will struggle on for a week.  The flu goes on and on. 


I have a resume!  Thanks to the diligent and gentle prodding of a talented and generous friend (we'll refer to her as an angel in shepherdess' clothing), my blank stares, lack of words and complete mind-freeze were overcome and she created a wonderful and perfectly-suited-for-me resume.  Such a load has been lifted from my shoulders.


Work is exactly the same!  All I can say is that they sent me a new computer - with the latest upgraded operating system, and the crew from HQ said they would see me in November and December.  I am taking that as an affirmative that I will still be employed until the end of the year.  I have decided to stay to the bitter end, as I need the income.  They will give me a reasonable amount of notice, so I will do a more blitzkrieg approach to resume-sending when I have an end date.  Right now, I am sending it out to my network of business friends.  You never know.


The Party has been given the heave-ho!  I had invited family and second family (my neighbors and my parents' best friends) to a pre-Halloween party this weekend.  However, due to my germy condition and the diagnosis of spinal stenosis on my second mother, it was deemed prudent to postpone it.  Poop.  I had gathered a number of fun items for a Halloween centerpiece, drawn up an appropriately ghoulish menu and bought 8 pie pumpkins.  Well, the kids and I will enjoy it anyway.  I may just whip up the main course and do a meals-on-wheels thing.  I'd roast and freeze them, but Marianne has been giving me her gorgeous, organic pumpkins on a weekly basis and there is only so much pumpkin a single woman with dogs can use.  I already have two large butternut squashes and a Long Island Cheese pumpkin roasted and pureed and frozen.  I have three pumpkins in the car (all exotic types, from M) and more to come this weekend.  A nice problem to have, no?


This weekend I have plans to get the barn ready for the sheep and llama, clean the house and finish the quail hutch.  And about twenty other items that loom large on The List.


Whew.



19 comments:

tpals said...

So very sorry about your cold; I see so many at work (leading to much hand disinfecting).

I gave my chickens their first pumpkin of the year and all that is left is the thin orange shell. Happy birds. :)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

So much newsy news! I hope your cold is better soon!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

oh damn a cold! sorry about your party too. i just found out that willie has to wear a cone for 2 weeks due to his eye surgery. i might kill myself!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Our weather stinks too. I have not gotten my garden ready. I'm still pulling out plastic and plants. It was too cold today. Poo. Hope you feel better soon.

ellen abbott said...

sheesh. it's only been six days since you posted. you make me look like a slacker. and if I'm a slacker my husband must be dead. nope, still has a pulse.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

I think I'm missing some info. Were you thinking you were going to be out of a job? I hope not! I think online resumes are the way the "kids" are doing things these days. There is a sight called Indeed (I think) and both of my kids say that's where everyone looks for a job. Who knows.
I really hope you get the hay you need. You don't need to be worrying about that. Sorry about your germiness, maybe it won't last long. -Jenn

Mama Pea said...

No more talk about pumpkins, please. I can hardly believe how much I'm now missing growing any this year. Not only for restocking cooked and pureed ones to use in all things pumpkin-y this winter, but to have plenty of those big ones as decorations during this now leafless, monochromatic time year.

I think it was a good idea of yours to cancel the Halloween festivities this weekend. Think how bad you would have felt if they had all caught bad colds from germies shared by you with them as part of your festivities.

That angel in shepherdess's clothing you spoke of is a great friend to have! I think that when (and if) the end comes before you're ready in your current job, you will be so much more prepared emotionally and ahead of the game by having some feelers out right away. (Did that make any sense?)

wyomingheart said...

Dang Susan!!! I'm exhausted just reading about your days!!! Lol
I enjoy your posts and hope your cold is quickly over. I'm thinking if you eat more pumpkin pie, it will take those germs right away!
Jealous of your squash stash, that's my favorite!

Michelle said...

Who knew you could catch a cold from clear across the country! Hope it goes away as (relatively) quickly as mine did. Three days SICK; now just some creeping crud that doesn't keep me up at night. Amen.

Theresa said...

Ugh, a cold and worse, a plan spoiling one! I'm so sorry. Maybe combine Thanksgiving and Halloween? Could be interesting, after all Thanksgiving is pretty ghoulish fo turkeys.
So glad you have a resume all ready. Good friends are such a gift aren't they? Hoping the weather evens out to something better than what you've got right now. Hugs! Feel better, eat candy. ;-)

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i just realized that none of my comments are showing up on your posts...hmmmm? i am trying again to see if it works. have you noticed that you aren't getting comments from me? weird! i keep my house at 53 degrees. my kids lips turn blue when they visit! i hate a hot house.

Ed said...

The cold crud has been going around here. A specially virulent version went around a couple months ago and took everyone two to three weeks to shake. If feels as if it has just been a few weeks "clean" and now both my daughters are down with another round of colds. I'm sanitizing like crazy but am probably doomed anyway.

Susan said...

I divide the bounty between sheep and chickens - and pumpkin seeds are a natural dewormer!

Susan said...

We’re making progress.

Susan said...

Poor laddie. The cone of shame..... :)

Susan said...

I think your weather was even worse than ours. We can only do our best.

Susan said...

Glad to hear there was a pulse. I set the goal post too high from the get-go and now spend lots of time worrying about it.

Susan said...

I may check that out. If you go back a few posts, all will be revealed.

Lynne said...

It's unbelieveable the way you accomplish so much in so little time. Hope you get some nice response's to all the resume' you send out. It's good you've got til the end of year with your present job. Sister's are great, aren't they? I have a lot of fun with mine. As you get older you appreciate them more. I do anyways. You are lucky to get all those pumpkins. They are 3.00 a can here. Not cheap!! Take care, always good to read your Blob.