Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Life is better than television.

Tomorrow the Fricassees go off to Freezer Camp, I get to visit my Favorite Cheese Maker In The World, and it's the Bi-Annual Town Rabies Clinic!  Could there be a more exciting line-up?  This is better than television, which I have not watched for over 8 years now.  I own a television set, but it's used for playing DVDs.  I have no dish, cable or antenna.  It is blissful without television.  Can I have missed much, not knowing about which stars are dancing?  Not knowing any Surviving Big Losers?  Honestly, even the titles of these shows give me the willies.  Listening to the radio is about as close as I want to come to knowing what's going on in the world.  It would be lovely to have a Good News Station - that is something I'd tune into daily.  Mostly, I listen to music (everything from the Wailing Jennies to Bach), or listen to clocks ticking, knitting needles clicking, kittens tear-assing around, the sighs, scratches, snores of the dogs.  In the spring and summer, open windows expand my repertoire to birds, sheep, chickens and ducks.  Unfortunately, it also expands to gravel pit noises and endless truck traffic, but I'm beginning to tune those out.  I can hear my neighbor's cows and the occasional dog.  At night, I hear coyotes and foxes, and the same dogs.  Wind in the trees, rain on the roof.  So very much nicer than television.

Stay tuned for the juicy details of tomorrow's doings.

And Happy Birthday, Fiona

6 comments:

Mama Pea said...

You know . . . you seem . . . happy! And that state of being doesn't get handed to you on a silver spoon. Hard work is involved. Work on our environment, our relationships and ourselves. Perhaps not everyone aspires to the type life you have chosen, but I'll betcha everyone would like to be as happy as you seem to be!

Susan said...

You know, Mama Pea, I am happy. I think I am happiest when I am busy, am learning new things, and enjoying great friends. What more can a person ask for?

The Apple Pie Gal said...

Life IS better than television! I love that title and how much truth there is in it!

The older I get, the happier I am. Life is good and I how I wish everyone else would tune out and tune IN!

Great post Susan!

Susan said...

Thank you, APG! I agree - it's time to tune out and tune in!

Erin said...

I agree about the tv! We cut our cable last spring, and I don't even miss it, but we do get the basic networks over antenna still so we aren't totally free yet! Growing up we couldn't get cable in the country so we only had the 3 networks also, but cable just becoming "a thing" anyways - today's kids wouldn't believe me!

Penny said...

Good for you on being happy while learning. I regret that this gift is being lost in current times. I am 52 and still love learning/trying something new.
.... Other than a movie, every couple of years, my TV hasn't been turned on in 8.5 years. I listen to audiobooks while doing handwork or an eclectic mix of music while doing my chores. =)