Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Photographs.

Cleveland Christmas Party - my friend Johanna (on Santa's lap), her son & ex-DIL, and a very young me
(to left of her son).  Circa late 80s.
One of my inside projects is cleaning out and organizing my office.  This will be no easy task, as it is also my craft room and also populated by both dogs and cats at will.  But I have a strong vision of the finished project, so I forge ahead.  As I was tackling the stacks last night in a free moment, I came across a box of photographs.  As I fingered through them, I was transported (rather willy-nilly, as they weren't in any kind of order) back through my life.  And before I knew it, two hours had passed.  In that two hours, I relieved family celebrations, old boyfriends, old apartments, European travel, friends who have passed away, my salad years.

Salad years?  If anything, THESE are my salad years, as I am usually trying to watch my weight and grow my own fixings.  Back then, I could eat anything and did.  Mostly, it wasn't salads.  Sigh.  I digress.

A lot of these photographs were less than perfect.  Some were a little fuzzy, some bore the obvious signs of a bad-hair era.  These photographs were taken before the era of instant gratification - although I did and do have my much-loved Polaroids - and before you could censor yourself.  I have never liked having my picture taken and there are very few photographs of myself that I like.  There are actually only two:  one taken when I was in my early 20s, I believe, with my mother, both of us hysterically laughing; the other taken at a sidewalk cafe in Paris on my first trip abroad.  After that, it was all downhill.  I have also discovered that I seem to be obsessed with bagpipers.  There are dozens of pictures of bagpipers - parades, festivals, funerals.  What can it mean???  It was such an emotional rollercoaster, coming across pictures of my younger self, a dear friend who died of lung cancer, sorely missed, my life in Holland.  It was so nice having actual photographs, bits of glossy paper, to look at - just as it is comforting having actual books to hold in my hand and read.  And here I sit typing about it, into a post which goes into my blog, which goes out into the blogosphere.  Life is so interesting, isn't it?

4 comments:

Mama Pea said...

My goodness, you have been around [I mean that in the travel-sense of the phrase ;o)] and done some different things! It would be interesting to hear a brief (or not so brief) synopsis of where you've been when and what you've done. Inquiring minds want to know. :o) Come on, girl, fill us in.

Erin said...

Bagpipers, LOL! A nice trip down memory lane. I too, am in the throes of reorganizing my computer area & craft stuff and next up is to actually get into the computer and organize thousands of photos... this might take years!

Jordan said...

Time lost looking at old photos is always time well spent. It's so rare that we touch base with that person we were, once. It's not the same sitting at the computer and looking at the ones after I went digital, no mustiness or stains, no old boxes to move around.... sigh.

Susan said...

Mama Pea - I don't think the blogosphere is ready for my "story". If I decide to divulge, you will get the first copy...

Erin - years, if I'm lucky! I tend to get bogged down in nostalgia when faced with boxes of stuff. I have GOT to learn to let go before they find my mummified body buried under piles of paper.

Jordan - Isn't it true? When I come across pictures of the younger me, I am always shocked that I was ever that young! After all my traveling, I am now such a homebody. But, maybe that is because this IS my home, as opposed to having lived such a transient life from apartment to apartment.