Pages

Saturday, October 9, 2010

What a Great Day!

Twins!
Another jam-packed day, but it was packed will all good stuff!  I headed out early-ish this morning with my friend, Marianne, to Springfield, MA, for the Scottish Highland Cattle Event at the Big E.  This was the first time I had the opportunity to get up close to these gorgeous animals - it was heaven.  One of the best things about attending the judging is that you get some insight as to what makes a *great* Scottish Highland cow.  However, Marianne and I both agreed that the majority of the cows/bulls/heifers that were there had very short hair - something not attractive to either of us.  But she is in the market for one and we were able to examine some lovely livestock and pick up tips and business cards. 

Breeder from Maine explaining the fine points to Marianne.
   Next, I got 75 bales of hay in the barn!  I just can't tell you how comforting that is -- and I have up to 130 more available for winter.  It is better than money in the bank.  Wait a minute -- let's just say that it is AS good as money in the bank, since my money in my bank has to pay for said hay.  Have I mentioned how wonderful my neighbors are?  My dairy-farmer neighbor is generous enough to donate his time and farm truck to pick up hay with me.  They can drop the bales from the barn into the bed of the truck, then we drive down the mountain and dump the lot in front of the hayport.  All I have to do is stack it.  And, of course, no matter how much I assured them that I was more than capable of stacking it myself, the farmer and his barn helper dove right in and stacked the lot six bales high (a miracle) in about 15 minutes.  I was more than grateful, I was teary.  There is a nice, warm, coffeecake in their future (tomorrow morning)!  That's all the pay they will take.  Lordamighty, I am a lucky woman. 


Not a great action shot - but you get the general idea.

3 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Oh, Susan, there is just nothing like having enough hay and straw for the winter under cover and available! Isn't it funny where one person's priorities lie compared to another's? I mean, for someone living downtown in a big city in a condo, that just wouldn't provide the same warm fuzzies, would it? Nor would having good neighbors as you do who want to stack your hay!

Michelle said...

Well, I don't believe in luck; I would say you are a very BLESSED woman - and that is even better!

Kim said...

How wonderful to see all those Highlands. We would love to have some someday. Until then we'll be happy with Angus.
And hay delivered and stacked! I would agree you had a good day!