Pages

Saturday, April 7, 2012

It just makes me want to cry.

Just when I had reconciled myself to no wheat products - no bread, no good pasta, no pies or cakes - I discover Pie Squared.  This is a little bake shop that I pass by twice a day going to/coming from work.  This was the place that I called to order our Easter pecan pie.

Clever name and logo, don't you think?
I picked it up last night on my way home - it weighed a ton!  But I didn't even peek.  Until this morning.  {sob}:

The official weight of this delectable chunk of goodness is 4.67 lbs!  There must be over two inches of filling!  The crust looks sooooo flaky and wonderful.  I guess I will just have to buck-up and eat the filling and not the crust.  Such a sacrifice, I tell you.

Last night I hard boiled the eggs (only time will tell if they are eggs/from/hell or not) and made the dyes:  red/beets, yellow/turmeric and blue/red cabbage.  This morning I dyed them and I am pretty happy with how they turned out.  There were a few clinkers, but for the most part they are pretty.


Now all that's left is the gargantuan ham.  I figure it will take six hours.  Good thing I get up at the crap of dawn, isn't it?

Wishing all of you and yours a very happy holiday weekend!

14 comments:

Sue said...

Happy Easter!

The pie looks delicious!

Charade said...

I love those eggs. I've been using homemade beet juice to make red cake for years. (What do people see in that cake? It's hugely popular in my husband's family, but I just think it looks like a nuclear experiment invaded a good chocolate cake.)

LindaCO said...

Yea for pi! Yea for pie!

Those eggs are terrific. Really cool to use the natural dyes.

Happy Easter!

Tombstone Livestock said...

hey at least you did not say you resolved to not eat pie, looks delicious, I could eat just the filling and be happy, Love Pecan Pie. Great job on the eggs, will have to remember your natural dyes.

Carolyn said...

Those eggs look BEAUTIFUL!!

And of course, that pie my very well be, to die for.

(hamhamhamhamhamhamhamHAM!)

thecrazysheeplady said...

Your eggs are stunning!!!

Sandy Livesay said...

Happy Easter To You and Yours!
Wow, that pie looks so inviting :-)
I like the colors of your eggs. This year were just going to relax, make some navy bean soup and corn bread.

Unknown said...

WOW! Get a fork! Great looking eggs...

EcoCatLady said...

I feel your pain. I have so many food allergies that were it not for my understanding step-mother (who also happens to be my allergist) I would have nothing to eat at most holiday gatherings.

But the one place they won't budge is the pecan pie... my father LOVES it. I don't really mind though because I think it's the most disgusting thing ever created. It's funny how I have a severe disliking for many of the foods that cause me allergic reactions.

Anyhow, if it's any consolation, I've heard that one slice of pecan pie has over 1000 calories...

Cat Eye Cottage said...

I LOVE pecan pie, so I'll take your share! Pretty eggs.

Dirt Lover said...

Love the eggs! I'm thinking since my ladies lay green and brown eggs, can I just boil them and call it good??? So sorry to hear you are having to deal with so many food allergies. What a bummer that must be. :(
~~Lori

Mama Pea said...

Your natural dyed eggs are GORGEOUS! The prettiest I've ever seen. Nope, opting out on the pecan pie wouldn't bother me. My teeth start to curl just thinking of all that icky sweetness. (There. Does that make you feel better?)

Candy C. said...

Gorgeous eggs, the colors are so vibrant! That pecan pie looks really good, just eating filling isn't ALL bad! :)

Erin said...

Looks great! Hope you had a great Easter!