Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Baby, it's cold outside!

No pictures today!  Too damn cold!  For the second night in a row, the temperatures plummeted below single digits.  When I awoke at 5 this morning, the thermometer showed -10 degrees, and it dropped another degree and a half the next half hour.  My cold-meter is how long Bernice stays out.  She did her business in record time and was bounding back up the steps to the door in under 3 minutes.  We don't count Scrappy because he wimps out if the temps drop below 40.

When I kicked open the coop door this morning (ice dam), the Pearlies came streaming out, stopped and wondered what fresh Hell I had led them into today.  They immediately went back in, trampling the hens in the process.  I am sure the chickens are looking forward to Spring with renewed vigor - the Pearlies will be outside, instead of in.

Trotting into the master bath to get my shower going, I found...no cold water.  Frozen pipes.  The hot water pipes ran, the kitchen water ran, but no sink or tub.  Plan B.  Cold water splashed on face and cool/rad/neato spiky hairstyle for work.  Thank goodness no one pays any attention to me.  I stopped and picked up a small room space heater so that I don't have to repeat this experience.  It is odd, however, that this is happening at all. I've gone through colder periods with no problems.  My thoughts (dark as they are...) is that the upsurge in the rodent population may have inflicted itself on my insulation on that end of the house, baring the pipes.  Little buggers.  I am NOT crawling over there until well into the Spring - at which time I will either re-insulate or wrap the pipes with a heating tape that I can connect up into the bathroom.

Luckily, the weather has hit its nadir and will be heading in the right (upward) direction starting today.  Good thing, since I am due to go get a load of hay with my farmer this weekend.  Break out the Carharts!!  Wintah has arrived!!!

12 comments:

melanie said...

You are SO funny....love you! Freezin' here, too...BTW.

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

I dont think 'cold' even begins to describe it! I was taking water out to the coop and some always seems to spill on my skirt. Once I walked in the coop I thought I snagged my skirt on the door, but the wet part actually FROZE to the metal on the door in less than 1/10 of a second. I agree with your pearls. Back inside for me , and I will trample anyone in the way too ;) Between the cold and the fire, poor Bernice has no where to go. I am a little worried about your plumbing. That can be a mess if it cracks. I hope your space heater works and maybe let the tap drip into a bucket just to be sure.

Susan said...

Melanie - Yes you are further north (10 miles...)! Must be like the Antarctic up there!!! xxx

Susan said...

Jane - Good gawd! You better start moving faster, girl! Those skirts can be dangerous! I left the taps open just a bit and will get the heater installed tonight. It's supposed to be warmer, so that is all good. Yes, this winter has been tough on our little Bernice. I have been slipping her extra sweet potatoes...

Sue, a Florida Farm Girl said...

Hi Susan, I'm a new reader and I love to hear of your daily farm doings. Don't know how y'all do it up there in cold country. We southerners wimp out at 40 degrees, too!! Happy New Year

Tombstone Livestock said...

Stay warm, this California girl is whining about the temps in the 20 and 30's and that's above 0. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Woowee, imaging my dismay this morning when I realised 2 of my silkies were left outside in the run over night! Thank God it has a roof and the south/west sides have tarps covering them. Also have deep litter in the run, I think that saved them.( I checked them over well and they are fine) I live north west of Rochester NY and it is mighty cold up here.......
TinaH

Carolyn said...

Could you wrap the pipes with a bunch of cats? Fur for insulating properties, and teeth & claws for rodent control.

Unknown said...

It was 5 here today with a high of 15!

Candy C. said...

That is just waaayyy too cold for my thin blood! We have been getting down into the 30s with some mid-20s and we are complaining mightily! I'm glad you have warmer weather on the way!

Erin said...

that's pretty cold! Here if our pipes freeze we always get hairline cracks, then a leak, which I don't notice until I notice the water pump won't shut off.....arrrrrgh! I hope you come through this cold snap without any lasting issues and that you stay warm!

Mama Pea said...

That settles it. You must move north. You're having colder temps than we are. Do you have snow cover for insulation on the ground? We've been getting up into (barely) the 30s during the day. But I'm secretly suspecting it's all a cruel joke and very soon we will be seeing 30 BELOW or some other evil twist of nature. Stay warm, Friend!