Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Peeved.

I recently had the same problems that a lot of you have mentioned - I could not upload any photographs.  As in all things Google, you have to Google your question to dig through a myriad of problems, questions and issues that are not addressed directly by Google.  There is nothing forthright about signing up for Blogger.  What a surprise to find that I had reached my maximum load of photographic files!  I mean, I am not exactly Ansel Adams with my blog posts.

I spent a frustrating hour trying to work my way through the murky path towards attaining a bigger file.  Not surprisingly, there was a price on it.  Now, mind you, I am not adverse to paying for a service.  But PUHLEEZE, Google, let's shed a little light on it, shall we?  When I went into Picasa Web, the holder of all things blogger photographs, I found that there were at least ten copies of many of my pics in there.  And I did not post them ten times.  This means - to me - that they are artificially padding the album to make sure you run out of space sooner than later.  That, quite frankly, stinks.  They tout Picasa Web as "free" photo sharing on Google.  I think that is misleading.  "Free", in this case, is relative.

You can go into your album on Picasa Web and delete photos.  A disclaimer pops up, telling you that it make take 24 hours to delete it from your album.  I would assume that, if you deleted all the false duplicates, you would have a lot more room "free". 

Kramer does not approve of Google.
It seems a bit low-handed and greedy on their part.  Why not be upfront and let people know that they can have X amount of file space for free (ACTUAL file space) when you create your blog, then you have to pay a nominal monthly amount.  Is it that difficult to be honest?  These are the people who can put a picture of your front yard on the map, so is it that difficult to come up with a way to let folks know their photo album is getting full?  Do they think we'll all flee to another provider of blogs, leaving our reader base behind?  Really?

17 comments:

Erin said...

I just had to renew my paid Google storage, ugh I hate doing that, even though it's not that much it's just annoying :)

Carolyn said...

You know, there was a time about a month ago that a BUNCH of my followed blogs were complaining about running out of picture space at the same time. Some had BUNCHES of photos while others had very few. Seemed hinky tome then. Call us both conspiracy nutjobs, but I'm convinced that it was a deliberate scam by blogger to get everyone to pony up some $$, even if just a little bit. I'm waiting for my number to come up, so maybe I'll be a bit proactive and check out the picassa website myself.

Carolyn said...

OK, so now I've got the bug to go fix the picassa thingy on my blog, I can't find it!! I KNOW I saw a link to it somewhere on my blogger screen. Mind helping out a non-computer person out and telling me how to get to picassa (or whatever it's called)?

Hidden Haven Homestead said...

I refused to pay for more google storage so I just started a new blog and left link on old one for people to follow me over. Another problem people are having not loading pictures is blogger isn't let some with internet explorer load pics. You have to have firefox or google chrome. Once you have one of those blogger moves much faster and you can load pictures. That isn't fair.

Susan said...

Carolyn - If you click on the name in the post, there's a link. It doesn't show up well with this color scheme!

Susan said...

Erin - If they would only be upfront about it. I don't like surprises (of this kind....)

Susan said...

Peggy - How do you like your new blog site? I am not good at change, but I do have my limits.

Jenyfer Matthews said...

My husband used to use Picasa to manage his pictures on his home computer and then we noticed it was keeping multiple copies of the same picture - for instance, if you cropped or photo-edited the picture and saved it how you wanted it, it would save the original plus the edited version. I suppose that there might be times when you want to do that, but most of the time if I change the picture I just want to keep the edited version only. More annoying though was that it didn't TELL you that is what it was doing so the space it was taking up became exponential.

Needless to say I don't use Picasa!

Good luck sorting out your blog issues.

DFW said...

Thank you so much Susan. I resize my pics before uploading so didn't have that many duplicates (only my cover pic was duplicated about 10 times). The pics that I had uploaded & never published were there, so I removed those.

Susan said...

Jenyfer - Changing blog sites seems like more trouble than it's worth right now, so I will slog through the Google morass. And I agree that the worst thing about this rather shady practice is that they don't bother telling you what they're up to.

Susan said...

DFW - Hopefully, this will keep you in the 'free' zone for a while longer. It is a pain, however, to have to keep going through and removing the repetitions.

small farm girl said...

I'm really considering moving my blog to wordpress. But, like you, I don't like the change.

Mama Pea said...

Is this just another case where our control of the situation (whatever that may be) is being taken out of our hands? IT IS SO FRUSTRATING!!

SweetLand Farm said...

That is why I "moved" my blog, but I couldn't delete any of my pics. SO I have moved and don't post as many pics for that reason, and I'm more picky about the pics I post now. I didn't get any info that said I was close or that I would only get so many pics either. So I don't know what I'll do when I run out of room, again...maybe I'll bite the bullet and buy the space, but I thought it was pricey. Or make a book of it and delete everything I turned into a book, if I can delete my pics. They are mine and I should be able too. IDK. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Hope it works out for you. But if you do move I'll continue to follow your blog!!

Candy C. said...

My problem recently has been NOT having the option to browse my computer to upload my photos. I have to put them in Photobucket first and then load them onto my blog using the URL code. It's always something...

Susan said...

Everything is about making money while providing the lowest service/quality possible. It is called greed.

Unknown said...

Good info, thanks!!!