Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Soup Sunday

If you could wear this soup (other than by accident), it would be like wrapping yourself in a large, warm, soft blanket that your dearest granny knit for you.  Mmm-mm.

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
(adapted from Allrecipes)

1 medium onion, chopped
1 can chili beans
1 can black beans
1 can whole kernel corn (drained)
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 bottle beer
2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilis, undrained
1 pkg taco seasoning (I used my own combination: cumin/chili/cinnamon/cloves)
3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts

shredded Cheddar, sour cream, crushed tortilla chips

Put onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker.  Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend.  Put chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down until just covered by sauce.  Turn cooker on to low heat, cover and cook for 5 hours.

Remove chicken and allow to cool until you can handle them.  Shred and return to soup.  Cover and continue to cook for 2 more hours.  Serve topped with cheese, a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of tortilla chips.

I use my own home-canned beans, corn and tomatoes and add a can of green chilis.  As with most soups, you can make it your own.  This makes a lot and freezes well.

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

Hmmmm.....I've got a bit of a rooster "problem" in the barnyard. Think I may "adapt" your recipe a bit and replace "pecker headed rooster" with the "3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts" as called for.

Susan said...

Carolyn - I believe that the slow cooker would make fast work of the PHR. Revenge is sweet! (And tasty...)

Mama Pea said...

Oh, that sounds soooo good! We, too, have a rooster that is about to meet the stew pot. Or, perhaps now, the slow cooker! Boy, I wish I had this soup simmering for dinner tonight. I do, I do, I do! Thanks for the post.

Unknown said...

I need to try that....

Jenyfer Matthews said...

Sounds awesome!

Candy C. said...

Yum and YUM!! This is definitely going on the list, when and if it ever cools off again. We are into the 70s now after freezing last week. :(