Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

New Experiences That Aren't Really New.

This week was such a week of 'firsts' (relatively speaking): 

My first movie in an actual theater in over 8 years.  It was one of those 'plexes' and I was surprised at how small the viewing area was.  And how expensive the popcorn was!  I decided to take myself out on a movie date, since waiting for the arrival of a real date would probably post-date the existence of theaters.  And, since it was a date, I opted for non-cholesterol-free popcorn with butter.  So there.  I did choose the smallest size and I did bring water.  I haven't had a soda for ......

as many years until Tuesday!  When I had a diet ginger ale.  Now I remember why I don't drink them.  I burped all afternoon.  And spent a lot of time worrying about the safety of drinking out of a can, took another half hour to locate a straw, then fussed so much with it that I wouldn't be surprised that my next one won't be for another 10 years, if ever. 

Both of these 'new' experiences have made me realize how far out of the mainstream I've swum.  I saw Les Miserables and enjoyed parts of the movie but, for the most part, I spent most of the time at a disconnect.  I was disconnected from the characters, critiqued the singing, wondered why they would cast a boy with a Cockney accent so thick you could have shoveled it as a Parisian urchin, and spent WAY too much time contemplating Hugh Jackman's tongue (before you get any ideas, go see the movie).  This unwillingness on my part to throw myself with abandon into the movie experience bothered me all the way home (an hour round trip, thanks to booneyville living).  Then I realized that I have spent a good 14 years cut off from the arts.  No wonder, I sez to me.  I need to ease myself back in!  And I need to go with an actual date - talking to myself is not as much fun as sharing a whine...

So, I am going to take me to the movies once a month.  Providing, of course, there is anything I want to see. 

21 comments:

Sylvia said...

They should have a "rent a date" service....no commitment except for the date. You would have a menu to choose from....similar tastes, etc.

Jenyfer Matthews said...

I went and saw Les Mis on Tuesday and had much the same experience as you. I'm not sorry I saw it, as it is such a "classic", but I didn't ever lose myself in the story the way you might hope to and I too was questioning some of the casting choices / accents.

I skipped all concessions though - too expensive!

Mama Pea said...

Sylvia, I think there ARE "rent a date" services. But, wow-ee, would the outing for a movie get expensive then! If our Susan had to put so much thought (angst?) into drinking her diet ginger ale, just imagine the brain cells she'd put into action regarding the movie date beside her. (Just joking, dear ladies.)

P.S. Sweeze, I'm not at all sure being so far out of the mainstream is a bad thing. Eh?

Michelle said...

Agree with Mama Pea's P.S. Believe it or not, I've NEVER been to an actual theater, except for IMAX ones, and that only once every few blue moons. I also dislike soda for the burping and the health hazards (or lack of benefits at the very least). Too bad we don't live closer! We could have truly fun, worthwhile "dates" -- with REAL food, entertaining animals, and engaging conversation!

Florida Farm Girl said...

Oh, yes, do go back and round up a cohort of some sort to go with you. It's always better to share observations. We don't go to movies very often either, but my "date" is married to me, so I do have somebody to talk with.

Susan said...

Sylvie - I doubt if I could afford a 'rent-a-date'! But it is very intriguing...

Susan said...

Jenyfer - Well, thank goodness I'm not the only one! I thought the sets were great and I have always loved the music. I agree on the concessions, but I just HAD to have popcorn!

Susan said...

Mama Pea - You are so right! And I'd probably opt for one of the Primo Guys. I mean, why not? You are so right - I'd get so picky that the movie would have moved on to DVD by the time I was CLOSE to choosing!

P.S. I tell you, the water is just fine were I (we) are, isn't it?

Susan said...

Michelle - That would be so incredibly FUN~! And, Heaven knows, we have entertaining animals between the two of us.

Susan said...

FFG - It's way more fun to share experiences with someone, isn't it?

Michelle said...

I like to wait till they are on DVD. Every time I have gone to a movie I either run into loud talking people during the movie or can't see due to heads in my way. I like the comfort of my sofa and pj's. But I do agree with getting away from the homestead and doing something for your self.

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

Going to a movie is a treat for most of us. Generally speaking, I will bring a very large purse, and my own snacks/popcorn and drinks. If my entire family were to go to the movies, and we bought everything there tickets,snacks and water it would cost us close to $80.00. Which is totally ridiculous!

Susan said...

Michelle - I do watch DVDs and I do enjoy watching from the comfort of my sofa with my two dogs. I chose the Sunday matinee because I was less likely to run into the "talkers". It's also sparsely populated on a Sunday afternoon, so less likely for heads-in-front.

Susan said...

Sandy - I don't know how families afford to do ANYTHING together! Everything is so outrageously expensive. I think I will take my own snacks next time. I just had to get it out of my system. Besides, my popcorn is better! :)

Candy C. said...

We went to see Lincoln last week and I was going to buy a small popcorn until hubby started whining about how expensive it was! It WAS really expensive so I passed. (sigh)
You shouldn't be drinking diet sodas anyway, that stuff isn't good for you! ;)

Judy T said...

I haven't seen Les Mis- we will probably wait until it is out on DVD. But we did do a family trip to see The Hobbit. Even without snacks (I nixed them because we got there late and didn't want to stand in line) we about had to take out a loan to get all 5 of us in- even at a matinee.

Unknown said...

You missed the Lord Of The Rinds series? Bummer! I guess you could rent the vids but so different on a big screen!

Susan said...

Candy - I am definitely bringing my own snacks next time. But I was trying for the whole 'date' experience...

Susan said...

JudyT - I think that there should be some sort of family discount for most things. I know a friend practically had to re-mortgage their house to take their family to a Major League Baseball game! It's un-American!

Susan said...

Nancy - Yes, I saw them on DVD and it wasn't the same, I am sure. But I didn't miss anything on bathroom breaks! Hold button!!

Erin said...

I can't stand theaters, especially since the screen picture quality is always worse than watching the dvd on my own tv LOL. I went over 10 yrs without going but then when I had kids there are things they want to see but even now I manage to keep it under twice a year, ha! The last time I went it was $17.50 for a SMALL popcorn, SMALL soda, and SMALL bag of M&M's, I almost fainted.