Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

When saving bits and pieces pays off.

Or:

Secondhand ottoman + scavenged casters from old bed frame + scavenged round glass table top = Moveable Coffee Table!

My friend, Sylvie (she of exceptional taste and recent move) gave me this wonderful ottoman.


After some rearranging in my living room (a work still in progress), I found that I needed a coffee table that could be used at either the sofa or the chair-and-a-half.  Hmmm.

(Small watt light bulb goes on)

I rummaged through all the bits and pieces I have scavenged over the years (and have never thrown away - you never know....) and came up with four casters from an old iron bed frame that I recycled.  I also had tucked away a round glass table top that I couldn't bear to part with, although the table fell apart long ago.

Out came the trusty Makita 18V cordless drill - quite luckily, the leg protectors, when pried off, provided a perfectly centered pilot hole for the drill.

Casters were inserted in the legs.

Glass top was placed on top.

Perfecto!!!

26 comments:

Mama Pea said...

How very, very clever! And should the need ever arise for an extra place for someone to sit, you can slide off the glass topper and have another comfy place to plop!

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

Fabulous idea for a table and extra seating/foot rest!!!!!

It pays to store parts and pieces of items instead of tossing them out, you just never know when the items will come in handy for another project.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

How very cool! Great idea.

Jenyfer Matthews said...

What a beautiful ottoman - and a lovely solution to your problem!

Tombstone Livestock said...

Good job

Kim said...

How resourceful are you? Fabulous idea! I think my hubby will need to see this so he'll stop nagging me about the bucket of odds & ends I keep moving around the shop!

Michelle said...

And it's CUTE, too!

Carolyn said...

I KNEW you'd use those casters that have been sitting in your hallway closet for the last fifteen years!!!!

SweetLand Farm said...

Cute idea. Looks like smarts indeed, one thing and two uses! Creative!

melanie said...

Excellent!

Susan said...

Mama Pea - That's what I figured. Because I get so many visitors......

Susan said...

Sandy - Of course, it took me a half-hour to find the casters. But I KNEW I had them!

Susan said...

Kristina - Thanks!

Susan said...

Jenyfer - Isn't it? I love the red - it brightens up the room!

Susan said...

TL - Thank you!

Susan said...

Kim - You hang onto that bucket! I see that you've been busy, too. Isn't that sander wonderful?

Susan said...

Michelle - I am very lucky that Sylvie has such a good eye (and that she decided she wasn't moving it.... ;)

Susan said...

Carolyn - Hey! Have you been peeking in my closets again???? :)

Susan said...

SLF - I did try it out to make sure that it wouldn't go scooting across the room if I put my feet on it. It didn't!

Susan said...

Melanie - You must see it in person!

Erin said...

that ottoman/table is GORGEOUS! Love the fabric and what a great idea!

LindaCO said...

Voila! I love clever fixes. That fabric is bright and fun, too.

Candy C. said...

What a cute idea! The glass is a perfect fit, how'd you do that?!? :)

Unknown said...

Great idea! Love the red fabric...

Florida Farm Girl said...

I like that ottoman/coffee table. That red is gorgeous.

Kayten said...

Beautiful! Given my proclivity to bump into things and knock them flying, I would probably put a disc of white rubber shelf lining somewhere between the glass and the fabric for added traction. You could always put a small basket or doily on top if it hurts your sensibilities.