Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Soup Sunday

I bring you - once again - the "M" word.  Miso.  An ingredient not found in every fridge - but it oughta be.  It lasts for ages and adds such a wonderful something extra to a simple soup!  This is my ultimate comfort food.  It is so darn easy to make and just warms my soul.  You should try it - because I say so.  And even though I am a bossy-pants, I know you love me and will do as I tell you. 

Miso Vegetable Soup
adapted from Eating Well Magazine**
(2 servings)

2 cups plus 3 tablespoons water, divided

2 tablespoons white rice, uncooked
2 cups frozen stir-fry vegetables or frozen mixed vegetables
1 12-ounce package extra-firm tofu, cut into small cubes
2 tablespoons miso*
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon rice vinegar, or to taste
1/2-1 teaspoon sugar, to taste



Bring 2 cups water and rice to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook until the rice is just tender, 12 to 15 minutes.

Add stir-fry vegetables to the pot, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Cook until the vegetables are heated through, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes. Add tofu and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Combine miso and the remaining 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl and stir to dissolve. Add the miso mixture, scallions, vinegar and sugar to the soup and stir to combine.

This soup can be made ahead - cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.


*The color of miso (fermented soybean paste) depends on how long it's aged. In general, the lighter the color, the milder the flavor, so if you have never tried it, go for the white miso. It will keep, in the refrigerator, for more than a year.
  **This is my favorite magazine EVER!  There is something on almost every page that I want to make. 

9 comments:

Mama Pea said...

How can we go wrong with a recommendation like this?! I must admit (with hanging head) that I have never used miso. We stay away from soy products but since miso is a fermented product (as is the tofu), I'm gonna give this a try.

So you see, bossy-pants, I do love you and will do as you tell me. :o]

Michelle said...

I need no convincing; I love miso and miso soup! But I've never made it, so thanks for the recipe!

Patty said...

It sounds lovely! Fermentation doesn't get rid of the phytoestrogens on soy (or so I've read), so I'd eat it sparingly, but I'd give it a try! Unfortunately, I love tempeh, too. They have a tempeh dish at Whole Foods in the "big city" that's SO yummy.

Leigh said...

Patty, I was wondering about that. I love miso and used to put it in everything, but we've kinda gotten off soy for the reason you mention.

Leigh said...

This really sounds yummy and warming Susan. And thanks for the magazine recommendation!

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

The Miso Vegetable soup sounds like a soup I need to try.
This evening my husband with my help, made chicken and rice soup to help with my cold.

I've seen the Eating Well Magazine in the magazine section at Walmart but never looked inside, I'll need to check it out next time I go into town.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I have never used miso either, but have heard of it. I may have to try this one.

Candy C. said...

Yes, we do love you so I will look for the miso next trip to the market. I'm not sure if hubby will eat soup with tofu in it though. I'm making him eat Mama Pea's Cream of Mushroom soup tonight and that took some convincing! LOL!!

Unknown said...

I always get miso soup when I go out for sushi (rarely). The instant stuff isn't too bad, for a quick fox...