Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Doing the Poultry Shuffle

One of the reasons I was so anxious to get home Saturday was because it was D-Day/Weekend for getting the Nuggets out of the laundry room and into their interim brooder set up(s).  Because I am brooding so many this year (never again this many), I had to break the mob into two groups.  A dozen went into the small coop brooder and the rest into the large brooder in my shed.  Then there was the requisite cleaning of the toxic waste brooder tubs, running of electric, shuffling of the feeders/waterers and toting of the Nuggets.  Once that was done (most of Sunday), it was time to move the ducklings from the back room into the laundry room.  They were very happy and it has allowed me to work on socializing them.  This collapsible dog pen is one of the best investments I have made - it is light, has a waterproof floor and a zip cover.  It should accommodate them long enough for the duck house to be completed (in a perfect world.........right, Mama Pea?)

New digs for ducklings.
 



Nuggets Group 1
 
Nuggets Group 2

Group 2

The larger group of Nuggets went into the big metal tub brooder that I have set up in the shed.  I built a top for it that is covered in hardware cloth - which keeps them safe from marauding rodents, etc.  I can rest a heat lamp on it - far enough not to toast them - and then cover and uncover the top as necessary.  Of course, as soon as I moved them out to the shed, the temps dropped and it has been cold, rainy and clammy for days.  They are nice and toasty inside, however, and it should hold them until they are feathered out enough to put in the hoop house.  Which needs a new tarp and some updated security.  The one thing I can be sure of (besides death and high taxes) is that there will always be more to do.  I am now in the process of adjusting my morning/evening routine to encompass two more areas to service.  It's a little sticky but we'll get there.  I was so late getting out the door this morning, that I did not notice the state of my hair until I was in my office.  Good thing no one sees me - if there was a small child about, I might frighten it.




13 comments:

Theresa Y said...

Nice peeper pictures. Keep em' coming! Although I don't know how you do it all. My community only allows you to have 4. I live in the 'burbs. I can't imagine handling all those peepers at one time. My hat goes off to you.

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

Between you and Mama Pea I'm itching to get birds. My husband would kill me, he want me to wait until we get our own place. They're adorable, and you my dear have your hands full.

Sue said...

I just laugh when you call them Nuggets. Took me a minute, but yea--funny
:D

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It's hard being a Mom!

Mama Pea said...

You don't know how good it is to know someone else is struggling to learn all the steps to the Poultry Shuffle! Our daughter is going camping this weekend so has asked us to keep her baby chicks until Monday when she will be home to tend to her brooder with chicks in it. All of a sudden, we have 25 more fuzz balls to care for than anticipated. And then there are the 10 assorted Muscovy ducklings still to arrive. Of course, the goslings outside are mowing grass down faster than we can move them. Ain't it fun??

Hey, Sandy, how would you like some of our "extras?" Probably all roosters though. ;o}

Fiona said...

I know you are busy but this is for your socialization :)...I have nominate you for a Leibster award.
Instructions in a private email....

Susan said...

Theresa - The nice thing about having so much to do, is that it keeps you out of trouble... :)

Susan said...

Sandy - Your day will come! The nice thing about my keeping peepers is that, by the time you are set up and get your own, you will already know what NOT to do!

Susan said...

Sue - They are amazingly fat little things. Of course, all they do is eat and poop, so no surprise there.

Susan said...

Debra - Especially a surrogate duckling mom!

Susan said...

Mama Pea - I can't get over the number of extras they sent! I'll have to get the name of the hatchery you use. Wait. I'm not getting more. Other than the nine more coming in June.

Susan said...

Fiona - Thank you - I think... :)

Casa Mariposa said...

I don't know how you do everything you do. Those ducks are damn lucky to have you. I bet they're adorable!