Pages

Monday, May 9, 2016

Not Quite My Typical Weekend.

It started off typically - the weather forecast, which had been for two days of warm, sunny weather, changed almost overnight to cool, windy and rainy.  I managed to get my strawberry plants planted and a few things done around the garden before it poured.  Then it was off to Vermont for my list of 8 errands, then to the parents' for Mother's Day and a lovely visit with my youngest sis and her friend, Tory, not seen in years and sorely missed.  I had one last chore to squeeze in - grocery shopping - and in the interest of time, decided to shop at a more upscale (expensive) store since it was on my way home.  That's when the weekend took a different turn.  Someone stole my cell phone.

Granted, I made it easy for them.  I had slid it into my wallet and put the wallet in the cart - forgot it was there, pushed the cart in the line with the rest and toddled to my car.  I got less than a half mile away, when I realized I had left it, did a U-turn, and sped back.  The wallet was there.  The phone was not.  The person at the customer service desk said, "oooh, you were asking for it!"  To which I replied (through gritted teeth), "No, it was their choice to take it - or they could have taken the wallet and phone the 15 feet to your desk and turned it in."

I went to the local Verizon store where I was told that they would love to help me, but the were closing in 15 minutes and couldn't even sell me a phone.  What?

I drove home doing some breathing exercises and realized just how much I had depended on it.  Not only was (is) my cell phone the only phone I have, but I had my email, bank, you-name-it on that phone.  It was unhealthy and unsafe.  I had the service temporarily disconnected and managed to scrounge up my wifi device and laptop.  I powered them up and reported the phone stolen and temporarily discontinued my service.  I ordered a refurbished phone online and will do without until it arrives.  I will also seriously consider changing my carrier.

In some ways, it was fortuitous.  It made me realize that I needed to slow down and pay attention.  However, as a neighbor who stopped by to drop off dahlias commented, "Who are you kidding?  You are hardwired to have one speed and direction - fast and forward."  True.  But even I can shave off a couple of errands from the too-much-in-one-day list.  When I got home, I hugged the dogs, fed everyone, chilled a bottle of wine and made a list for Sunday.  Hehe.

It's amazing how quiet it is with no phone.  And how much extra time I had.  To fill with duck watering, Nugget watering, sheep scratching, garden working.  I got the violas/Johnny-Jump-ups moved out of the onion bed, got the bed prepped and planted onions.  I prepped the potato bags.  I weeded.  I did four loads of laundry and got lots of company.  I slept well last night.

There will be a dearth of photos this week - I dug up my digital camera and am charging it up.  Hopefully, I will remember how to use it...

11 comments:

Fiona said...

I have still not decided if cell phones are good or bad...Ralph is addicted to his and sometimes I find it disturbing how much time he kills on it. However he can call me from the back of the property and when he is away from the farm so that is an advantage.
He text's his children but he still treats that like email so it takes him a long time to peck out a message...

Susan said...

Fiona - I find they are good to have, even just for safety reasons. It's just the degree of focus you give it. I had to laugh - I peck out messages, too. No thumbs for me!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Well, at least they didn't steal your wallet too! There's always a silver lining.

Mama Pea said...

I can't believe that rat-bas**** person didn't take your wallet, too. So sorry you've had to deal with this. I can just imagine the sinking feeling when you realized you'd left your wallet and phone in the cart. ARRRRGH!

The Verizon store? They weren't closing for 15 minutes. That means they were open. OPEN for business. Oh, the frustration of it all. (I'd complain to the manager of the store.) Obviously, the employee didn't want to "work" a moment longer than the closing time. Not right.

Susan said...

So sorry for your frustrating and dismal experience. I only use my cell for emergencies and to text people under 35 who simply will not communicate in any other way.

Michelle said...

I, too, can't believe the thief didn't abscond with the wallet as well! Makes me think it was some kid . . . although why wouldn't they want to see if there was some fast cash available. Ah well, maybe it was just the Universe giving you more time for chores this weekend. ;-)

Susan said...

Debra - That's what I was thinking. It could have been much worse.

Susan said...

Mama Pea - I have given up thinking that most people have integrity. Unfortunately. I've filed a police report and another phone is on its way. I am actually enjoying the peace.

Susan said...

Susan - I know! There are people who must think I've dropped off the map. I am going to pare way back with the next phone.

Susan said...

Michelle - I think they had to move fast - the carts were right outside the entrance and customer desk. But, still, I am glad the phone is the only thing I have to replace.

Buttons Thoughts said...

WOW dumb thieves. Isn't a wallet with cards worth more than a phone that can be deactivated? I am so sorry you had to go through this. I think your phone company is as bad as that thief to me. I would lodge a complaint.
Sometimes to not carry a phone would be nice but now a days we are lead to believe the world will end. Sad isn't it. Advertising does mess with our minds. HUGS B