Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

Talking about bees from up on my soapbox.

On Saturday morning, my neighbor, Linda, and I went to meet with an old-time beekeeper south of us.  It was easy to spot his place - a rambling and rather ramshackle property, dotted with bee hives.  This property is on a country road that once was peopled by farmers.  It is now part-time peopled by folks from the Apple, with large, immaculate lawns, perfect paint, and perfect landscaping.  This has pretty much infuriated the beekeeper.  He has been in beekeeping since the early 60s.  During a long and informative visit (he talked to us for an hour and a half), we learned more than in our 5 weeks of beekeeping class. 

Back in the earlier days of beekeeping, it was NOT common for beekeepers to lose entire hives.  Then, thanks to the introduction of the Varroa destructor mite, transmitted unknowingly by a major pollinator from Florida, the bees of the northeast were decimated.  The Beekeeper lost 98 of his original 100 hives.  Slowly, over the course of the years, beekeepers have been working on breeding bees that are more resistant to the Varroa mite.  But there are even more obstacles that our little bees must overcome in order to thrive.  Meadows are disappearing.  Lawns are chemically treated, mowed and weeded to within an inch of their lives (as in his neighbors).  Large chemical corporations, like Monsanto, develop and sell GMOs and fertilizers and other unnatural treatments that affect our bees.  Even a bee that is resilient to the plague of mites, is left weak and ailing by other factors, which lower its resistance.  No wonder so many hives don't make it through the winter.

Linda and I won't be getting bees from him this year.  He lost 21 of his 50 hives over the winter.  He will have to concentrate all year on building back his foundation stock.  I won't be setting up the two hives I wanted this year. I'm going to have to restock my one hive. But I've learned tons this year and that knowledge will hopefully make me a better keeper of my bees.

You would think that we would be totally frustrated by all this bad news -- be ready to throw in the towel.  We're not.  Everyone who raises bees has to stick with it.  Using local bees and being diligent about what they eat and where you place them; letting your lawns go to dandelions and clover; re-queening every other year - all these things will help bring back our bees.  We need to make sure local, state and federal government does not take away our right to raise bees.  Look into your local zoning.  Know what local farmers are spraying on their crops.  Read labels.  Write letters.  Get involved.

6 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Throw in the fact that up here, we don't have farms or farmers. Our bees have to make it on wild flowers that Nature provides or the limited amount of crops we beekeepers can plant specifically for our bees. I can't believe the number of hives your beekeeping friend lost! We lost three of our five hives over winter.

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

So very sad. Most people are ignorant to the plight of the bee yet most of our food supply depends on that little insect. Lets hope people wake up real soon.

The Apple Pie Gal said...

AaaaaMen! We lost both of our first year hives and refuse to give up. As a matter of fact, coming back stronger and learning whatever we can. You are so right about the dandelions and clover...what are they hurting? Vanity, errrrr...really?! If only we could all have just a little bit broader brain pattern.

melanie said...

Amen, sister.

Erin said...

Great post, Susan. I too get infuriated about being the only person within at least a 3 mile radius (that I know of) that lets her "lawn" be a "mow whatever grows" kind of operation, and I plant native plants that the bees love. The result is kind of a homegrown/redneck hodgepodge of plants but I love it this way - I'm sure that the manicured/chemical lawn people can't stand me. I live in an area where people's eyes still glaze over when I talk about bees or I still get the "ew! BEES?!" reaction, so frustrating.

Susan said...

I think we should form a bee support group! At least we are on the right track - GO BEES!!!