Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Bad day for the Boys.

Yesterday, the Boyz had their wellness visit (aka meet the vet).  I found that, if they could see each other from their carriers, the drive was much quieter.  Slim is now not-so-slim (10 lbs) and Kramer weighs in at 8 lbs.  Slim found the entire process traumatic and also found the plastic cradle of the scales to be reassuring, so there he stayed - he of the Big Eyes.  Kramer was busy smooching up to the vet and vet tech until he had his temperature taken (ahem).  Then it was Kramer of the Big Eyes.  Both are fine and I managed to get out of the vet's office with a bill under $150.  Unheard of!

When I got home, I scooted out to collect eggs and was horrified to see what I thought was a bundle of dead Junior!  Turns out he had been doing his Mr. Macho through the chicken wire fence with Kees, my Barnevelder rooster, and had gotten his sizable spur caught in the fence.  How long he had been lying there with his foot in the air is unknown, but he was reeling around after I put him in the coop.  I made sure his leg wasn't broken - I think he just was a little numb.  I would hope that that would make him leery of boxing through the fence, but I doubt it.

Then Scrappy threw up his dinner, making it a perfect ending to a bad day for the boys.

6 comments:

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

That is a good deal for a vet visit! Poor Junior must have been humiliated. How tough do you look flat on your back with a foot in the air. Kees was laughing his tail feathers off.

The Apple Pie Gal said...

Maybe he was trying to cross the road too! They can't help themselves!

Mama Pea said...

Darn good thing you found Junior when you did. Who knows how long he could have lasted strung up by his toenails! Scrappy probably upchucked his din-din because he heard what happened to the cats ("They put the thermometer WHERE?!") and Junior.

Erin said...

Poor guy! Good thing you came to the rescue!

melanie said...

It MUST have been serious, if you failed to capture that Kodak moment...glad everyone is OK...

Susan said...

Well, Junior must have learned his lesson - he hasn't gone near Kees' turf all day. I am glad he's no longer limping. I'll have to take a picture of his spurs - they are massive! Good thing he's a wuss. Glad to report that all boys have recovered and are back to their sassy selves.