Pages

Monday, December 27, 2010

Snow - the grim facts at the light of day.

Once I catch my breath and rest my old back, I will try to get some pictures of the pathways so far.  It took me an hour and a half to get hay to the sheep.  You can see below how close they are.  I just can't wait to tackle the rabbits/chickens/ducks.  Never mind getting out my front door... It looks like we got between 2-3 feet of snow, with drifts up to 5 feet.  The sheep and llama were all crammed in one hoophouse, with a 4 foot drift sealing the entrance.  They were quite happy to see me.

Looking over at the sheep (there's a table and chairs under all that snow).

The snow load collapsed the roof of my greenhouse extension.

Looking out the front window.

Looking toward the chicken yard.


Snow on the deck up to my waist.
 Just came in to refuel, then out I go.  Chickens will be okay with food and water, but the rabbits need water, as their waterers freeze quickly.  I will have to un-bury the fuel tank from under the greenhouse disaster so the vent isn't blocked for too long.  Too bad I'm not 20 -- this would be an adventure.  Right now it is - quite literally - a pain in my a**.  Well, I am off to ply Mr. Shovel towards the rabbits - wish me luck!

9 comments:

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

I feel for you. I have been watching that storm on the news. We got over two feet in two days last February. I didn't sleep at all those days, cleaning snow from the greenhouse, shoveling paths to the animals, snow loads on the roofs. Hang in there. they say temps are warming up by weeks end.

Michelle said...

I have no words, except "I'm sorry!"

Mama Pea said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I wish all of us blogger buddies could converge on your homestead and get you shoveled out and back in shape in a hurry. But that's not possible, darn. Take frequent rests and don't try to get everything done at once. I hope the cavalry marches in to save you.

Sending strength!

The Apple Pie Gal said...

You really got a good wallup! Hope you were able to get it all taken care of without many strained muscles or aches!

Susan said...

I feel like I've been shoveling for a week. It finally stopped snowing and the sun is out. They are forecasting 40 degree weather by the end of the week - and rain. Hooha. My farmer neighbor showed up to plow the driveway and promptly got stuck - luckily the town plow showed up and pulled him out. Now it's time to feed the sheep. Didn't I just do that???? (And what happened to my birds in the template???)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I would tell you how beautiful I think that is, except that you'd probably throw a huge snowball at me. Since we never get snow, it's easy for me to say it's pretty. I am sorry for all your extra work and stress. Lots of hot showers and stretching to keep your muscles loose.

Mama Pea said...

I still see birds. Don't you see birds?

thecrazysheeplady said...

HOLY COW!!!

Susan said...

CSL - and how! I just read your blog post - I would have gladly forwarded this snow fall down your way...;-)

Mama Pea - oddly, I can see birds on the office monitor, but not at home.

HJ&F - with a few degrees of separation, it is beautiful. I did take lots of breaks and was careful how I shoveled.