Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Snowy Sunday Walk

My road - before dump truck traffic.

Eating snowflakes.


Is it time to go home yet?
Just a dusting of snow on Sunday - woke up to 8+ inches this morning (Tuesday).  Sunday mornings are so nice to walk the dogs -- almost everyone but the farmers are sleeping in, there are no dump trucks roiling up the road, and we get to surprise turkeys and deer.  This causes Bernie to go straight up and forward, so I have to be on my toes, or I'll end up on my tush.  Bernie loves, loves, loves snow.  She leaps and dives into it, shoves her whole head into a snow bank and is downright frisky.  Scrappy?  Not so much.  Actually, not at all.  He is high drama in the snow.  I can tell when he's had enough -- he begins to slow down, then a slight limp appears.  The limp is then magnified by 1000 and the offended paw begins to tremble.  And, if I don't come to his aid within nanoseconds, his whole being trembles.  I have to take my gloves off, coo and croon sweet nothings in his ear, while rubbing the offended paw.  Then we all turn around and he prances home.  Character.

8 comments:

melanie said...

I love the coats!

Susan said...

Thanks, Melanie ~ Bernie's is a hand-me-down that I covered with orange fleece and Scrappy has a homemade jobby. At least you can't miss them!

The Apple Pie Gal said...

Awe, poor little doggie! Well I am glad you didn't end on your tooshie and that you are able to save the puppie! Orange is a great idea for them! At least they can't be mistaken for something else. Good thinking girlie!

Susan said...

APG - with my luck, they'll shoot me instead~!

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

Isn't it amazing what master manipulators dogs can be. They know just what cards to play and when to play them. It works on me every time.

Erin said...

I love those dog jackets - I ordered what "looked like" plain red berber lined hunting style coats for my dogs for our trip north.... they arrived last week and are red VELVET! My respectable herding dogs have been reduced to looking like pampered hollywood pets, you can see the disdain in their eyes LOL!

Mama Pea said...

I'm so glad to see that Scrappy has finally got you fully trained. Whew, that took a bit of work . . . on his part. But steady perseverance and human treats paid off. (Tee-hee!)

Susan said...

Jane and Mama Pea - I am so completely trained it is pathetic. He looks at me with those big, brown eyes (and a whole lot of eyebrow maneuvering) and I'll do anything. Bernie doesn't even have to look at me!

Erin - RED VELVET? Holy cow, will they stand out in the woods! Poor little princes...heehee.