Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Blip.

I did, actually, have all good intentions to post yesterday.  I took some pictures.  I wandered around.  I wandered around a lot.  I wrote, rewrote, edited, deleted, wrote again.  Then I wandered around some more.  A thousand lashes with a damp linguine is what I deserve.

But, here it is a new day. Day four of my incredibly b.o.r.i.n.g. staycation.  I did go shopping and managed to force myself to buy three tops - all at incredibly reduced prices.  The highlight of the trip, however was not the torrential rain, the trying-on of clothes in the glare of gawd-awful lighting (I always forget how frightening it is to see oneself in a full-length mirror in full glare), or the shock of being charged a LOCAL tax on top of the state tax.  No, the highlight was finding a BIG salad spinner at a very small price!  Woot!

I didn't get much of anything done yesterday - a pot of lovely cream of asparagus soup.  A batch of PB Granola.  A kale salad.  I had a serious case of the blahs (see above).  This morning, however, I awoke with a full head of steam and whipped out an asparagus quiche for my mother.  My dear Aunt J is coming for an extended visit and is being dropped off by my cousin and his wife this coming Friday.  My mother - who tends to sit and stew - was in knots about what to fix for lunch.  So I volunteered a quiche.  They will have to suffer through the GF pastry, however.  There is no wheat in this household.

A few years ago, I had met a woman who moved here from New Mexico.  She was having a hard time adjusting and making friends.  I tried to make friends with her.  Really and truly I did.  But there are some people who just don't gel with you.  She did, inadvertently, make an indelible impression on me by introducing me to a nifty way to roll out pie pastry.  It's a plastic circle that zips all the way around.  Dough does not stick to it.  You can roll a perfect circle.  Your rolling pin never gets dirty.  It's easy to transfer the pastry to the pie plate. 



I am always amazed at the deep, rich color of my quiches, thanks to the big, orange yolks of the eggs my hens lay.  I'll wrap it well after it's cooled and my mother can freeze it.  Since the pastry mix I used made enough dough for two pies, I am forced to make a Rhubarb Coconut Custard Tart.  FORCED TO, I say!

More to come.

14 comments:

Carolyn said...

Ok, I get the platsic circle thingy for rolling out the pastry, but what's with the zipper?
And that quiche (GF or not) looks very, very good right now :)

Sue said...

Forced? Good one. I wish I was FORCED to eat that Rhubarb tart!
Neato gadget for rolling out pie crust. The search is on..........

Susan said...

Carolyn - It keeps the pastry in one place and keeps the plastic disc on the top from wrinkling all up and driving you mad.

Susan said...

Sue - Ah, yes, I will probably be FORCED to make sure it's safe to eat...

Kelly said...

I despise going shopping too, especially for swim suits :/ There is definitely something funky going on with those mirrors and lights. It makes you wonder who is staring back at you, why do we have to shop, and how come I look better at home!!!!!
That's a neat little gadget! Your quiche looks delish!

Mama Pea said...

Is the Rhubarb Coconut Custard Tart ready to be cut yet? (I'm on my way.)

I should have gone clothes shopping with you. (Misery loves company, ya know.) I told my hubby just this past week that I should throw out all my clothes and then buy new ones. (Yes, they are that BAAAAAD!) He suggested I buy new ones FIRST. (Ha-ha.)

Regarding the pie crust rolling out thingie . . . and this is coming from someone who hates to do dishes . . . how do you wash the plastic thingie to make sure it's clean inside?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

The dish looks wonderful. I'd love to know what your ingredients are. We grow asparagus and love to try new recipes.

Unknown said...

I get bored too. I need to make a summer to do list, lots of odd things to do like- go put away the groceries I just bought, then plant some stuff.... Cool pie disc, where'd you get it???

Susan said...

Kelly - I have not worn a swim suit in.....eons. I still have my old one, what's left of it. You'd think that retailers would want the most flattering light available in their dressing rooms, wouldn't you?

Susan said...

Mama Pea - Only the crust - getting ready to finish it. There's already a place at the table for you. If I didn't have to worry about looking reasonably professional five days a week, I wouldn't care so much. And as far as cleaning the pastry plastic thingy, I just unzip the zipper, open it flat on a hard surface (the counter), suds up my dish scrubber and scrub it well, then rinse it and drape it until it dries. Easy Peasy,

Susan said...

Kristina - It's a very simple formula garnered from my old Moosewood cookbook: crust (any kind); filling - a good handful or more of asparagus, chopped roughly (I slice it about 1/4" thick, cutting the tips off separately), steam the asparagus until tender; cheese - cheddar, about 1/4 lb cut into little dice and sprinkled on the bottom of the crust; custard - 3 eggs beaten with 1 cup of milk, yogurt or buttermilk; stir in minced fresh herbs (tarragon, in this case) - put asparagus on top of cheese and pour custard over. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 40-50 mins, putting foil over the crust if it starts to get too brown. When it's lightly browned on top and doesn't jiggle when you push it, it's done.

Susan said...

Nancy - I don't remember where I got it. I know I ordered it over the internet (since there's nowhere to shop here). I bet you could find it on Amazon.com.

Unknown said...

I found it- http://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Andersons-Baking-Crust-pies/dp/B0000CFTQT Looks like it?

Susan said...

Nancy - That's it!