Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

January - Get thee behind me!

Waaaay behind me.  So far this month: Bernie was diagnosed with Lyme's; same Bernie 'ate' part of an old sleeping couch, which had me running for the Hydrogen Peroxide and milk; my new goat gate broke; Flora, perfectly fine one day, was not the next; my frost-free outdoor faucet (#3 since I've moved here) broke, prompting a call to the plumber; who arrived as I came back from the vet, who told me that Cookie needs $1100 in medical care.  And most of that was over the past two days!

Time to do some hard and creative thinking (and financial waggling).  I'm trying to convince myself that ALL the bad stuff for 2012 is getting fit into one month.  How does that sound to you, Universe?

It's a good thing I availed myself of some comfort food yesterday (along with the comforting presence of a good friend).  I rediscovered my Moosewood cookbook collection and made a rendition of Spinach Polenta with Fresh Tomatoes.  For those of you in need of comfort, here it is:

Spinach Polenta Topped with Tomatoes (adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers)
(I don't have the recipe here - but this is close enough)

2 cups water
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup corn grits (polenta)
1 cup grated Parmesan
8 oz. baby spinach (I only had a 5 oz. package and it was fine)

Fresh tomatoes (regular or Roma - approx. 4 reg. or 8 Roma)  *I didn't have fresh so used about a pint of my own canned oven roasted Romas
2 garlic cloves pressed or minced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried Oregano
2 Tablespoons Balsamic vinegar

Put the water, milk and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Pour the grits in a slow, steady stream into the liquid while stirring constantly.  Continue stirring until it thickens.

Heat the oil in another saucepan and add the garlic.  Cook until golden, then add the tomatoes, salt and oregano.  Stir until heated through and the tomatoes just start to soften.  When they are softened, take off the heat and stir in vinegar.

Back to the polenta!  Stir in the cheese, then add the spinach a handful at a time, stirring until it wilts.  When all the spinach has been added, make sure it's heated through, then spoon onto each dish and top with tomato mixture.  You can sprinkle with additional grated Parmesan if you wish.  It is easy and delish! 

Bring on the comfort!  And a lottery win would help a lot....

12 comments:

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

Oh My, oh my, Me thinks you need something a little 'harder' than polenta.

melanie said...

oh dear...

Mama Pea said...

Good grief, what's going on here?? Not fair! Foul! We can't put up with these here shenanigans! Enough already! (Is this where the expression, "when it rains, it pours," comes from?) You need to run fast to get out from under this black cloud. And also you need to go buy a couple more lottery tickets. Sending thoughts of support. And a hug. A big one.

Judy T said...

Oh dear. NOT the way to start the year. I'm with you that I hope you're getting all of the bad stuff out of the way this month. Here's to good comfort and a better rest of the year.
Judy

Michelle said...

Another couple of blogpals are having similar Januarys; I keeping praying for all of them/you that the rest of the year is smooth sailing! I wish I could do more....

BTW, I LOVE the Moosewood cookbooks I have.

P.S. My WV is "excsxve." I think even Blogger considers your current trials excessive!

Leigh said...

Yikes! You've got a year's worth of misfortune all rolled up into the first few weeks of the year! Comfort food to the rescue. Sounds like a lovely recipe.

Erin said...

That's terrible about all the bad news this week, I hope you are able to figure it all out without stressing too much. On the flip side, that polenta dish sounds fantastic!

Lynda said...

Yep...get a year's worth of crud out of the way right off...that's the way to do it!

dr momi said...

Aahhhh! May it be done. January get thee behind me indeed!

LindaCO said...

I'm sorry to hear of such bogusness in your life! Sending good thoughts for things to calm the heck down.

Susan said...

Jane - Methinks you are right. And I did. Twice.

Melanie - So, it gets better, right?

Mama Pea - I am starting to feel like Joe What-his-name, from the Lil Abner comic strip. This black cloud must be made of Velcro...

Judy - You are so right. I am trying not to take it personally.

Michelle - Thank you for your prayers. They are very welcome.

Leigh - I had leftover comfort last night. Cookie managed to avoid me.

Erin - That recipe is incredibly easy to prepare. I bet your boys would love it - all three of them!

Lynda - That's the stance I'm taking. I hope it works.

dr momi - I just don't want it to get behind someone else - just go away.

Linda - Thank you for your good thoughts. May the bogusness be over.

Candy C. said...

Goodness, what a MESS!! Sending you good thoughts and {{{HUGS}}}!!