Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Meet Reggie, my Humidifer.

My office building was built in the 70s and the internal workings are abysmal.  Once the heat goes on, it stays on - no matter that we are having no winter this year.  It's hot and dry.  When I come out of the building at night, I feel like a goldfish that's been oxygen deprived.

I considered buying a humidifier to make my little space bearable and, instead, got Reggie.  I look at it the same way as I view my lawn.  I can't abide waste.  I am covering my lawn with raised beds, and my humidifier is a Betta.

Other than my guppies when I was a kid, I have had no fish experience.  I did have a hermit crab, but the only thing he had in common with fish was his aquarium.  I have spent the past week and a half getting ready for him - tiny Betta tank (check); gravel (check); pump/filter (check); thermometer (check); heater (check); plants (check); fish net (check); water conditioner (check); food (check); fish (check).  It rather took on a life of its own.  I even bought him a little resting leaf, so he can lounge just beneath the surface of the water and take little sips of air.  Cute!  How many humidifiers offer a little Zen with their moisture?

11 comments:

Carolyn said...

What a cute humidifier! We've been thinking that DD needs one (a humidifier, that is) in her bedroom because she occasionally has sinus trouble at night. Wonder how much moisture a fish tank would be putting in the air? And I'm sure she'd LOVE having a little fish!

BTW, have you put in the surround sound underwater speakers in his tank yet, or are you waiting for the modern-fish-art aquarium hangings before installing it??

Amy Dingmann said...

Aw, Reggie. So glad to meet you. I'm not sure I've ever seen such a lovely humidifier. ;)

Jenyfer Matthews said...

I will be interested to know how this turns out for you - my children have been begging for a pet but I know who will ultimately be responsible for it and I don't happen to want a pet. A fish is their latest (and last ditch) effort. I admit I'm weakening, but everyone I've known who has ever had a goldfish has said they are a bit like African Violets - the harder you try with them, the quicker they die. At least that has always been my experience!

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

And the pack grows even bigger :)

Candy C. said...

Ha! Now you have livestock even at work! :)

Erin said...

If you have a pump and filter, you are a step ahead of most people and probably have a really happy Betta! As an aquarium fanatic, it always upsets me to see how some people treat these guys! Clever humidifier :)

EcoCatLady said...

I had a goldfish once... he lasted about 48 hours before one of the cats ate him. :(

Leigh said...

I love bettas! I kept tropical fish for many, many years and loved it. Excellent choice in humidifiers I'd say.

Mama Pea said...

And if you're feeling especially dehydrated, you can always splash a little of Reggie's water on your face and neck as you walk by!

Ngo Family Farm said...

Aw, he's the cutest little humidifier! I had an aquatic African dwarf frog as my pet all throughout college - he had the very uncreative name of "Froggy" and his little snail buddy that helped clean the tank was "slowpoke" :) Looks like you and Reggie will be great pals.
-Jaime

Unknown said...

Cute little guy! Will he get a friend? :)