Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

Monday Musings.

This falls under the "Is nothing sacred!?!" category - Olympic badminton players booted for match-throwing?  I am as competitive as the next person (and maybe quite a BIT more competitive than the next person), but the need to win, to be the best, to be on top is really getting out of hand.  Steroids, human growth hormones, drugs; the things people put into their bodies to be the best is just logic-defying.  Of course, most of that drive is fueled by greed -- let's face it; is there any reason some very tall person who barely squeaked through high school (then was fast-walked through college) should be paid millions of dollars a year?  And families are out on the street, losing their homes?  This country is definitely unbalanced.

Charlie Horse.  I had one.  Then I spent way too much time trying to figure out where that term came from (from whence cometh that term?).  Was Charlie Augustus BoDidley kicked in the leg by his horse back in 1804?  Did Charlie's horse have problems with his legs?  Is this an old American Indian ailment?  All I know for sure is that it felt like something kicked me....

Optical illusion - glancing in my rear view mirror this morning, I gasp --  Good lord!  Did I leave the house without combing my hair??? (It wouldn't be the first time, especially on a Monday.)  No, thank goodness.  It's the bundle of electronet in the back of the car.

Seething Sitting in traffic last week, I was trapped behind a large sparkly white Lexus SUV which sported the following license plate:  INDMAND.  From what I could see from the driver, it was a sleek, sparkly blond woman with lots of bling - the sun glinted off her jewelry as she lifted her cell phone to her ear.  If I ever put together a dictionary, right next to "Vanity Plates" I would put her picture.  I mean.  Really.  As the lane of traffic to my right inched by (notice, I was in the stationery lane), I spotted another vanity plate - BLSKYABV.  It was attached to a powder blue Cadillac with a resin sculpture of an alligator holding a golf ball in its mouth.  I don't think I need to elaborate on that one.

This made me wonder about why anyone would want to make their license plates stand out.  These must be people who a) never break the law; b) always drive the speed limit; c) have no one out to get them.  (Well, Ms. INDMAND seems to have quite a following, and she must want them to get her....)  Me?  I would rather fade into the furniture.  I revel in mediocrity. 

14 comments:

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

I agree with you, I would not want to be followed or admired because of my plate. I would think because of OPSEC you wouldn't want to be so darn obvious.

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

Um, am I the only one who can not figure out BLSKYABV? Why can I not see it? ANd the alligator is not helping!

Susan said...

What? You cannot read my mind? See through my eyes?? It meant blue sky above, and the drivers were oldsters, over-tanned, with (I am betting) a trunk load of golf clubs. He looked as if he had hit the clubhouse for a few hours...

Susan said...

Sandy, you are spot-on. I would rather just fade quietly into the background...

Amy Dingmann said...

Charlie horses...hate them. And your wonderings made my children consult google and they'd like you to know that apparently, Charlie Horses are called corkys in Australia. But they couldn't find out why they are called charlie horses here. And so the mystery continues on...

Sue said...

I had a vanity plate that went with my soon-to-be hubby's
NABRGRL
NABRGUY

Someone looked at my plate and said neighbor grill?
Cripes

Candy C. said...

Sure glad that was just electronet in the back! ;-)
I had a vanity plate on my MR2 several years ago, GODVL. There is a Stephen King short story called Mrs. Todd's Shortcut and Mrs. Todd's car is called a go-devil because it would, well, go like the devil! Dang, I LOVED my little red MR2 but it just didn't fit in with my new farm lifestyle, couldn't get but one bag of goat feed in the back! LOL!!

Unknown said...

I stopped watching the Olympics this year, as it too oriented towards professionals (many of them) and not so many true amatuers. Kristin Armstrong appears to have possibly bribed someone to let her kid up on the podium to be with her getting her gold, then mysteriously left and will not be in the closing ceremony. Maybe she was told to leave? More of the same....

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

NOW I see it. Why could I not figure that out? I guess vanity plates are lost on me ;)

Susan said...

Corkys! I love that word. Because they are corkers? How did it evolve? So many unanswered questions preying on my mind...

Susan said...

Better than Nabisco Rug Roll. I think it's hard to come up with something short that means something long.

Susan said...

Candy - you are a girl after my own heart! I had a black MR2 that I loved more than anything - it was a turbo, to boot. But, same problem. My folks flew in and I had to make the choice of whether to tote them to my place in two trips, or borrow a friend's car. I cried when I traded it in.

Susan said...

It really doesn't seem as special as it once was, does it? I mean, look at the USA basketball team. The same overpaid stilt-walkers as the pros. It's much more fun rooting for the amateurs.

Erin said...

Oh my, I was laughing so hard I found it difficult to get past the "bundle of electronet" hahahahha!!!!! You should have had that "INDMAND" plate at that moment LOL! Ok, I will admit that I have a vanity plate, my Subaru says "KDSNDGZ"... but hey, at least that one is the truth LOL