Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

You know you live in Booneyville when...

potential house guests offer to nip you out to dinner at your best local restaurant as a reward for you letting them stay in the country.  When you get off the floor (having collapsed from laughter) you give them the options:  Biker Bar Restaurant/Pizza Place/Pizza Place/Soft Serve Stand.

the people you refer to as "neighbors" live more than a mile away.

you are late to work because your neighbor's calf got separated from his mama and was in the middle of the road, where you had to come to a full stop, then pull over and put your blinkers on, then shoo the little dogie in a zig-zag pattern a quarter mile down the road and up their driveway, where his frantic mother is bellowing.  You then retrace your steps (without the zig-zag) and call your neighbor about his loose calf.  This is the same neighbor who will NEVER answer their phone even though you know they are home.  So you leave a nice message and drive to work.

90% of the highway (using the term loosely) crew are related to each other.  And none of them know what they're doing.

you stop for a deer; a porcupine, a hen turkey and her poults, another deer, another deer, a groundhog (yes, I stopped), and another turkey within two miles of home.

you don't bother getting the local newspaper because you can find out the REAL news by going to the dairy farm down the road when the older members of the farm have gathered to "help" the farmer (meaning opening the door of their respective pickups - all red Fords - and jawing for hours).

you open your mailbox to find:  your mail; a pint of maple syrup made by a neighbor with a thank you note for the vegetables you left in HIS mailbox; your t-shirt borrowed by another neighbor, washed and dried, with a thank you note as well.

I L.O.V.E. Booneyville.

15 comments:

Carolyn said...

Boonies are great! And thanks for the smile-inducing post :)

Susan said...

Carolyn - You are welcome. I was going to add that I stopped for a snake, too, but I thought you'd think I was crazy!

Sue said...

This was indeed a smile-inducing post.
I love the country life and am not surprised it's wonderful no matter where one wanders.
I wouldn't trade my neighbors for anything. My brother--who lives in a city--doesn't know ANYONE in his area. Some are as close as 50 feet from his house. I know everyone within 5 miles of me....and their dogs/kids/goats/emu's/peacocks/and even one very fine Texas Longhorn. He is not friendly, however.
:D

Susan said...

Sue - Emus? Texas Longhorn? Woot! That sounds like my kind of neighborhood!!!

Candy C. said...

Aren't The Boonies the bestest?!? We couldn't live anywhere else anymore! :)

Susan said...

Candy - Other than the fact that you have to drive an hour to do anything other than homesteading, the Boonies are perfect. I do wish that my particular little plot of Booneyville was NOT next to and near two gravel pits, but...I still love it more than Cityville.

Unknown said...

LOL I can sooo relate!

Unknown said...

Cute post. That's why I want to move to boonies!

Carolyn said...

Then you must think I'm equally crazy as I used to (pre-Rhiannon) pick up the copperheads and release them down the road. And saying that you stopped for a snake does not make you NOT crazy. Way too late for that.

Mama Pea said...

Delightful post, m'dear. Thanks for the grins tonight.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Ha ha ha! I loved this post.

LindaCO said...

Love the mailbox communication. Sounds like a great system.

Mama Pea said...

One winter, we found a pound of butter in our mailbox. We never found out by whom (or why) it was left there.

D.Hausmann said...

Wow sounds like you have some really great neighbors!!! Around here we are almost the only people that have critters.

petey said...

Great post. We don't really have a mailbox, or neighbors either, but I do love the boonies!