Pages

Friday, August 4, 2017

Behold the Knitting! (In all its lumpy imperfection.)



I finally struggled through my first two-color project.  It's finally over.  This is the pot holder in all its imperfect glory - I don't believe more than four of the cross patterns are the same in a row.  And it's rather - let's say 'tense'.  I'm sure I transmitted my angst to the stitches because, either it's a very small version of the original pattern or the model in the photo was a four-year-old with tiny hands.  Anyhoo, it's over and I'm not totally hating it.  I will love it more after a bath and a stretch.  Let's hope I get better at this, as I have three more to go.  I did realize that I read knitting patterns a lot like cooking recipes - I am smitten by the title and the pretty pictures, then sort of skim through the rest.  The pattern repeat was a bit - cockeyed - and I didn't pick that up until I had soldiered on for eight rows.  Frogging out a project in two colors is a whole other thing than one.


I hope to get some things crossed off The List this weekend - currant jelly and cherry salsa are at the top, followed closely by clean out run-in shed and shovel llama beans.  At least it won't be boring.  On Monday, my sister and I are taking a day trip to the League of NH Craftmen's Fair in Lake Sunapee.  With any luck, I will have remembered to charge my phone and will have pictorial evidence of our good time!





13 comments:

Theresa Y said...

I think its PERFECT - Heh Heh. No kidding, I think anytime anyone take the time to handmake you anything no matter how imperfect, it is a blessing and a wonderful treat!

ElaineChicago said...

For a first-time 2-color knitter, you did a great job.... keep at it!!

wyomingheart said...

Just curious if you ever use the llama beans on your garden. If you do use them do they have to sit for awhile before using as in manure, so as not to burn things up.
Thanks and great pot holder! Wish I could knit but being left handed never made any yarn crafting...well... lets just say God gave us all abilities and knitting and crocheting are not ones of mine.

Mama Pea said...

I agree with the above comments. When I first started knitting with more than one color, it felt like learning to knit all over again . . . how to hold the needles, the tension of the yarn, keeping the yarn untangled, not dropping stitches . . . it 'twarn't easy and I do think you did a great job. Keep it up. I promise it will get easier. Really. Promise. Honest.

Susan said...

Thanks - I feel the same way. I am hoping that it won't feel so weird the second time.

Susan said...

Thanks, Elaine!

Susan said...

I DO use the llama beans on my garden. They are so popular with friends and neighbors, that I get requests for 5 gal buckets of the stuff. I have used them practically hot out of the llama (TMI?) with no bad results. It's a great fertilizer source.

Susan said...

Promise???? Right now it feels as though I am knitting with my elbows. It is not a natural process...

Rain said...

Hi Susan :)) Oooh cherry salsa??? That sounds amazing, can you post about it if you have time? Kudos on your knitting! I haven't even attempted a two-colour project EVER. I think it looks great! :)

Theresa said...

I find it quite Escher-esque!

Leigh said...

Two color knitting is a challenge indeed! I keep thinking, "if I could just relax." I like your pattern though and think it looks good. :) I envy those currents and cherries!

Susan said...

Well done! Have fun at the fair.

Ed said...

I have never attempted to knit and I can't even imagine but I suspect from watching others it is a skill that gets better the more you do it. I love to watch those needles fly around.