Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Yo, Farch!

Where to begin...


Last Thursday it began to snow.  It continued to snow until we were covered in 15+ inches of heavy, wet, white stuff.  I don't know that I have ever seen such damage done by any of the storms that have hit my area in the 12 years I've lived on LLF.  And - wait for it - we are due to get another 10-18 inches starting tomorrow into Thursday.  Will the fun ever stop?  Let's hope so.
Pretty
Not pretty

Downright ugly

There's a barn behind all that.

Broken.

Maybe the worst of all

Hanging on by a thread


There were no branches there
pre-storm
It was very ugly.  And very heavy.  I had a great deal of tree and limb damage, which means a great deal of fence damage.  My laundry tree was bent in half.  Worst of all - the entire snow load off the back of the roof came down on the pergola and, had I not had the foresight to tether it to the railing post - it would have been ripped down.  As it is, it will need a lot of repair.  Mea culpa, as I did not have the presence of mind to realize that snow comes off the metal roof like an Alpine avalanche and the pergola was placed too close to the house.  Of course, it didn't help to have an inexperienced builder, either.  It was out of plumb way before the snow load hit it - ergo, the tethering.  Another item on the spring to-do list.


It was a long and back-breaking weekend, with much shoveling and re-shoveling.  The only bright spot was that I did not lose power.  A lot of houses around us did.  And for more than two days, too, so I will count my blessing where I find them.


Given that I had a lot of time on my hands (when I wasn't shoveling or recovering from shoveling), I finished my socks and started a new pair for March.  I also had some leisurely, healthy breakfasts for a change since mostly I skip breakfast (I know, I know).
Before washing and blocking

My fav - although not the most appetizing looking -
Avocado/Egg Salad on GF Caraway toast!
I also decided to add to the chaos because, well, that is just how I seem to roll.  Meet our new foster project:
That face.


That...body

Before she discovered "her" bed.
I had been thinking about fostering, as there is such a huge need in our area.  But, not surprisingly, I am both leery and drawn to it in equal measures.  I had been negotiating to foster a spaniel from SC, but she ended up ill and was not transported.  Then I was included in an email chain that contained the words, "URGENT" in every paragraph.  Zsa Zsa (who names these dogs?) had been picked up as a stray in a city west of Albany and had reached the critical stage on the animal control list.  She is older, extremely overweight and was so gentle and sweet-natured that the staff kept trying to shuffle her around to extend her stay with them.  But, as it became a matter of hours before she was to be euthanized, the rescue group that I am part of kicked into gear.  She was tested with cats and had many interactions with a Chihuahua, which she ignored.  I still had/have reservations, but I have set up a veritable fortress (there are double barriers - another layer added after the photograph just above).  She has had no direct interaction with my crew and has show little interest - other than barking at Peanut Butter the first day.  She has badly infected ears, needs to lose at least 12 lbs, her gums bleed, her skin is dry, and she was totally exhausted.  She is being treated for a dysfunctional thyroid, although no one bothered to test her - they just medicated her - and needs to have her feet bathed every other day.  She needs to have a bath, too, but there is no way I can get her (she seems to respond to Lulu, so that's what I'm calling her) into my tub.  One of the rescue staff and I are working on getting her to a DIY dog bath place where they have walk-in tubs.  It took all my strength to heft her hinney into my SUV at the vet's. 


She has literally spent the past 48 hours sleeping.  Noisily.  Once she discovered her comfy, orthopedic bed, she has been glued to it.  Who knows how long it has been since she's felt safe and hasn't been surrounded by noise.  She's already perked up and looks less bulky.  Could be the meds or could be the quality (and less of a quantity) of food.  She was once someone's pet, as she sits and offers either paw.  She also leans into you and tries her best to roll her rotund body over for tummy scratches.  The latter reminds me of the Titanic.  I am rather smitten.  But she will remain separated for a week and, even then, I will always monitor their interaction.  She is crated while I'm gone and she does not complain.  Once the snow disappears (June?), we will get out and get some exercise.  We are aiming at a weight loss of approx. a pound a week.  This will help all of us, as Lovey was beginning to, once again, resemble a loaf of bread and PB looks like a fat seal pup.  Let's not even discuss their 'mother'.


I need to clear the paths again before the worst of the storm hits tomorrow.  If the office closes for the day, I have a chance.  If not?  Well, Farch can't last forever, can it?







25 comments:

Michelle said...

Bless your heart; Lulu sounds like a gem. We all know YOU are!

Susan said...

Thank you, Michelle, you are so sweet! It was not an easy decision to step into the breech, as it were, but there is a point when you need to walk the talk.

Theresa said...

Lulu is the perfect name and what a face! Lucky you, except of course for that broken clothes line and teetering pergola. YIKES. Here wet heavy snow is the norm, snow loads on everything must be between 80 and 100lbs psf. In the Sierra's I'm told it is 140lbs per sf and higher. Hmm maybe winters in OR aren't that bad! Take care of yourself. Easy on the shoveling if possible.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i love snow but not when it breaks things! i have a lot of pergolas and some are not in great shape (bad builders). the one that was just built at my daughter's place made me realize how bad my other ones are. lulu is a sweetie! is there a chance she will stay for good?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wow, you've been hit hard with snow! I sympathize. And you have proven to be Lulu's lucky charm. I hope she feels better soon and adjusts nicely.

tpals said...

Lol, whoever named her must have seen Zsa Zsa Gabor on the news and not from her younger days. How much does Lulu weigh?

You've really been dumped on! Crossing my fingers that they're wrong about how much you get in the next snowfall.

Ed said...

Since I began to read your blog, I've learned that the weather here in Iowa is closely tied to that of New York. Yesterday it rained all day and today it is snowing all day so I'm assuming based on past experience that this is the storm headed your way over the next couple days. Good luck!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

What a nice thing you are doing. I have a friend locally, who transports dogs every Saturday almost. Such a good thing too. Sounds like you are getting much more snow than us.

Susan said...

I am definitely thinking of hiring a strong youngster to shovel (if I can find someone who will work without whining). I have a neighbor who plows my driveway, so I am halfway there!

Susan said...

I hope the next storm (tomorrow) misses you - and us for that matter. I am making no commitments, vis a vis Lulu, but I am determined to make her a new girl.

Susan said...

Thanks, Debra. I think she will really improve quickly, as she responds so well to good food and attention. She will make someone a wonderful companion!

Susan said...

LOL! Isn't that the truth? I know that the blond bombshell ZZ did say that she decided to focus on her face and not her derriere...she is close to 77 lbs! I am with you - we've had enough!

Susan said...

Thanks, Ed. I would much rather have rain at this point. I can't believe I'm longing for mud.

Susan said...

The people who are part of this rescue are so dedicated. I have wanted to foster for some time, but have been very hesitant after Bertie. I have a safety net, in that if she shows any aggression towards the dogs or cat, they will find her another foster. I am hoping she is just as sweet as she seems.

ElaineChicago said...

You are such a kind person. I'm sure Lulu is totally in love with you and will be with all the other Kids too. May will be here soon, but first there's the mud! How're the Chickens??

Susan said...

They are not a happy bunch. I hope the weather breaks soon because I need to get into the coop with a front end loader!

Mama Pea said...

Bless your little (BIG!) heart for taking care of Lulu. But, my friend, if you ask me (did ANYBODY ask me?) you take on too much. Who takes care of you?? I know, the animals do in their own way.

You've reached the point of having way too much snow this winter. And now the latest that has produced damage to something else besides your shoveling muscles. Hoping this next onslaught misses you completely. Such a winter you've had. Much more snow and hassles than we have had in northern Minnesota, for heaven's sake!

Susan said...

Ah, well. When it comes to dogs, it seems the rational part of my brain leaves the skull and the mush left behind makes all the decisions. There are just too many of these kinds of dogs that are put down every day. I couldn't live with myself if I hadn't have stepped in. I try to think of it as challenging my aging brain...snort. You sure you don't want more snow? I'd be more than happy to send it up your way. I so related to your post about loving winter and snow but reaching that tipping point where you want spring more. I'm there!

Toni said...

Good for you for fostering. Takes a kind soul and a big heart.

This last storm a tall pine fell barely missing my daughter's house but it took out the dog run. Luckily all the dogs were in the house with family. Scary!

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Oh, what a happy dog she must be! You're such a good person taking her in. I can only imagine how she will thrive now. That snow is a real kick in the pants, isn't it? I can't complain at all since we've lost almost all of our snow from a very mild spell, and now we just have a dusting. Not good with all the damage your heavy wet snow has caused. Thanks so much for your comments on my blog. -Jenn

Goatldi said...

My word woman that is the poops isn't it? Well smile and look at it this way. At least the damage was done just in time for the Spring home shows where you can get great ideas on what to do with the rehab on your hands.

Lulu is a dandy and looks nothing short of a really cute beached whale poor baby. You have a large heart and if you would like any hints on how to navigate the heart wrenching mind boggling world of rescue just holler. I would just blurt all my stored knowledge out in the here and now but I will just offer and let me know how to contact you if you throw caution to the wind and want know.

Theresa Y said...

Ohhh...that face. What a doll! Stay safe as you guys are going to get hit again. At least you have lots of snuggle company.

Florida Farm Girl said...

What a soft heart you have for the critters! Stay safe in all that snow that's coming down. I lived in Massachusetts for a couple of years and had to deal with at least one nor'easter that dumped 24 inches of snow and that's enough. Stay warm.

Susan said...

You are so good with animals. Short or long term Lulu has finally had some good luck.

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,
You poor thing having to deal with that much snow, and then the damage. I hope you don't get more snow, and ice. With that much snow when it melts will there be an issue of flooding?

OMG look at that mug...Zsa Zsa is gorgeous! You could just eat her up.....those eyes, and the body. Susan, you have a heart of gold! Thank you for being a foster parent. Thyroid blood test will help Zsa Zsa on the appropriate dosage. Once on the correct amount of thyroid meds her weight will go down, and her skin and hair will soften. We had to put Beans on thyroid meds twice a day, and he's doing so much better. I've always wondered how people come up with the names they give to animals. Was Zsa Zsa given this name at the shelter, or was the name provide by the original owner? I'm sure PB and Lovey are going to enjoy playing with the new pup.

Hugs,
Sandy