Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Random is I


Thanks to the hens, eggs are in plentiful supply.  There are more than enough for me, my family and for selling.  I scored some organic spinach from a local-ish farm that offers front porch pick-up.  It's interesting, navigating the new normal.
 Lovey got a new bed for her birthday (7) and adoptiversary (5) and it appears to be a big hit.  The small sausage dog has tried to divert her from the bed so that he can claim it, but she's not budging. 
 However, a more subtle contender circles her on a regular basis.
 Seeds have been started, which always lifts my spirits and gives me hope.
 In my quest to clean out fridge, freezer and pantry, I made some gluten free banana bread that was tasty, but dry.  I am sure it had to do with the fact that I had little almond flour left and substituted with coconut flour.  An entirely different texture and it inhales moisture.  It was still good, although a little too sweet for my mostly-sugar-deprived taste.
For a mild winter, it sure is stubborn.  I don't know how many mornings I wake up to snow.  And I've quit counting out of self-preservation.  I keep hoping spring will arrive before summer. 

To keep the little grey cells from dying off, I signed up to send notes of support to senior care centers.  Two lovely young women have started what has grown into a national mission to reach out to people who feel isolated - Letters Against Isolation.  It gave me a chance to use my beloved Lamb Camp notecards. 

And the beat goes on...


16 comments:

Florida Farm Girl said...

Gee Lovey does look comfy in her plush bed. Hope you get some sunshine soon.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i think the weather has helped to keep people quarantined. i am dreading this saturday when we are supposed to be warm and sunny.i can't get the video to work.

tpals said...

I was so excited to see bees in my yard that I asked my neighbor to shop for flowers for me. Now they have something besides the weeds in the lawn to visit for pollen.

Keep holding on, spring is coming.

Mama Pea said...

Lovey's new bed looks absolutely loverly!! Never seen such a lush doggie bed. Was the last picture meant to be a video? Couldn't get it to play. Imagining it was of rain coming down? At least it wasn't (shhh) s-n-o-w. We've got a very gray day going here so far. Sun! I want sun!!

Michelle said...

Lovey's bed looks like one I've seen on Instagram; looks like there is some truth in advertising! I'm going to look into Letters Against Isolation; sounds right up my alley. Hugs to you!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That new doggy bed looks so comfy and cozy -- no wonder the others are coveting it!

Susan said...

I would love a bed like Lovey's. You are a kind and thoughtful doggie mamma. The note writing is a great idea. Our nursing hme is so locked down we aren't even supposed to stand outside. Regardless, people have been hanging hearts and other trinkets on a tree in front of a window. I painted a heart and a Miss You sign on wooden coasters and will be putting them on the tree later today. Hang in there.

linnellnickerson@gmail.com said...

Can't blame the dog for not given up his bed! It looks so soft. The cat is probably wondering where his is.The food looks good. Stay safe and healthy! Linnie

Joanne Noragon said...

Bed appropriators/appropriations provide much amusement.

Retired Knitter said...

That little bed would be wonderful for a cute little cat!! Hahaha. I am sure that little phrase has been heard over and over and over again.

Karla said...

I've seen beds like Lovey's advertised for cats, too, and wondered if they would be ignored like their other beds! :) They look so comfortable, makes me wonder how I would sleep in one?! Thanks for the link to Letters Against Isolation. I've been writing to folks in a nursing home here in IL where I live, and to another in Cambridge, NY. With all of this time on my hands, it will be good to write to more isolated people! Thank you!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Aw, the dog looks so cozy. I too am trying to rotate out of the freezer.

Nancy In Boise said...

Nice doggy bed! I'm snow oh my gosh it's almost May. It's supposed to be 87 today here unusually warm, but only for one day, then back down to 72. Then a little cooler and then 38° Sunday night. Pick a season already! This is why we've only planted cool weather crops outside so far, waiting for it to warm up a little bit more and stay steady. Hopefully we can plan our tomatoes in about the next 2 weeks, hopefully!

Steve Reed said...

Surely that snow has got to end soon?! The dog looks so comfy in that bed!

Sam I Am...... said...

What a sweety Lovey is! Look at you with your seeds going strong. I still have more to plant. I can't believe you are still getting snow! I love your cute notes and sending them to those in isolation. I am isolated but I don't mind it a bit. LOL! Yes, I am strange. I have some bananas I need to either make into bread of freeze..thanks for the reminder. Keep the faith and stay well!

ellen abbott said...

our little farmer's market in the parking lot of the junior college is not happening this spring. it usually pops up in the late summer/fall too but I wonder if this will be the death knell. vendors the last couple of years have been few.