Pages

Monday, July 6, 2020

Like molasses in January

Only, it's hot as hell in July.  However, there's been a hitch in my giddyap.  There's been no giddyap at all, frankly.  After much pressure from the Mothership, I took last week as vacation (now in a permanent state of staycation).  I am very frugal with my personal days (or PTO, in firmspeak), so I was rather smug with getting an entire week for only three and two-thirds days out of my PTO bank.  Ha!  The good news is that it rained almost every day of my vacation.  This means that I could take a break from daily watering of the garden and get to all the indoor things on my list.  I achieved one out of two and I bet you can guess which one.

The garden is going gangbusters, thanks to my having more time to tend to it.  I spent Saturday and Sunday weeding, as those were the only two days with no rain forecast.  However, the temperatures have been climbing steadily, along with the humidity, and, as we all know by now, the higher those numbers, the lower my energy.  There was a lot of napping and as much showering as is prudent with my well.

I finished a stack of muslin produce bags for my friend, Marianne's, new business venture - a general store that carries only local, regional and US-made goods, along with their organic vege, mushrooms and eggs.  While I am often the supplier of good ideas, that fact does not always go hand-in-hand with my being the producer of the outcome of those ideas.  I am not a seamstress, by any stretch of the imagination.  And my sewing machine(s) often let me down.  Such was the case.  I have a middle-aged Husqvarna machine that should have worked fine, as it was just serviced at the end of last year.  And these bags only require straight stitching.  Did I mention that I decided to go with French seams?  And that I had no real idea of what that was, other than a) French, therefore fancy, and b) the thing to use when you don't have a serger.  This required a LOT of thread and much bobbin-winding.  Which would have just been slightly annoying had it not been for the fact that I could no loosen that knob thingy on the big wheel thingy that powers the foot mechanism.  It would not loosen, no matter how hard I tried and what tools I plied to it.  I ended up pulling out my mother's elderly 1946 Singer Featherlight to finish the job.  That required much consultation on YouTube.  But the job was done and product delivered.  Heaven help me.

Given the weather, not much knitting has gone onto or come off of the needles.  I did whip up a very cute bunny doll for Marianne's granddaughter - and since, as usual, it wasn't finished until a half hour before I was going to leave to deliver it, no photos were taken.  I am currently working on a bear version of the doll.  I am, apparently, in my "Stuffie Phase".  I will be sure to take a pic of this one.  Which I will take up again when the temperatures drop below 90 with 99 percent humidity.  Sometime in September.

Other than that?  Not much.  I did manage to find homes for a carload of items I had winnowed out before the pandemic.  That was a bonus.  Thrift stores are slowly coming back to life, but with so many caveats that it's almost not worth the effort.  The Goodwill I frequent holds all donations for a period of 5 days before processing them - in large cardboard boxes...outside...  I have pared down my grocery shopping to once every three weeks.  Now that the garden is in second gear, I am able to provide all my salad greens, with zucchinis coming in soon.  Of the eight squash plants I planted - four zucchini and four yellow squash - all are zucchini with one lone yellow squash plant.  I really do have to work on my labeling for next year.  I have a pint jar of half sour pickles in the fridge and enjoyed a stir fry last night with one tiny zucchini, three kinds of kale, rat tail radish pods, and red onion.  Once my photos show up on Blogger (why, oh, why am I still only able to access May pics???) I will show you the fruits of my labors.

I'm back in the saddle this week, with its usual parade of endless Zoom meetings, conference calls and other techie delights.  Speaking of Zoom, I will introduce you to my Zoom persona once I can access the photos I've been amassing.  My sisters, mom and nephew in NC did a Zoom meeting to celebrate Father's Day - the first one without dad.  My mother, bless her, peered over my sister's shoulder and cried, "oh, look at all your little faces!"  She's 96 and a pip.

I hope you are all staying safe - not surprisingly, a lifting of lockdown has created the illusion that all is the same as it was before Covid.  It is not.  I know that I am much better suited (both by personality and lifestyle) to ride out extended isolation, but I also have no intention of spreading this killer to anyone in my family or elsewhere.  Let's hope consideration and empathy win out.

12 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

what's rain? i sort of remember it. i am afraid to look at my water bill. 10 days of 90+ weather with no break or water in sight. i've had it!

ellen abbott said...

consideration and empathy seem to be in short supply in this country these days. it's hot and humid here too. I dug two holes yesterday mid morning about 12" x 8" x 14" deep (looking for a water pipe and found it) and thought I was either going to pass out or throw up. Still staying in here too though life is not much different as we are anti-social for the most part and never eat out anyway.

Goatldi said...

As your world turns .

What a great idea Marianne had. A friend in Idaho works in a nursery and they have begun doing the same thing to supplement income. Pam makes tabletop bird houses and they are apparently flying off the countertops.

Happy to hear your garden picked up. Mine has too and it is so nice to feed from the trough of home grown once again. Even though I have dropped my idealistic thought of possibly canning to supplement my winter meals I am now focusing on what I will need to change to do that. And plans for a winter garden using my existing space.

Give your Mom a Zoom hug for me what a gem you have in her!

Michelle said...

I have no hope at all that consideration and empathy will win out; I only know that nothing has to stop ME from showing consideration and empathy, and so I must. (Repeated often to myself as a reminder!)

Nancy In Boise said...

Well I guess getting rained out can be a good thing! Good for you getting things done. I have miscellaneous ideas on hold covid-19 and how it may be being manipulated but time will tell. Hope all your pets are doing well and staying cool!

tpals said...

I've been feeling wilted by the heat and humidity as well. Spring was much too short. We just had a morning downpour which was very welcome, but now the temps are climbing. :(

Stay safe and well.

CraveCute said...

Wonderful post, nice to hear how things are going in your area. I only shop about every two to three weeks also. Our weather here in MN is similar to yours, hot and humid and staying that way for another week.

Joanne Noragon said...

I find consideration for the popular welfare is well in place, but then I live in a place of low population...

Carolyn said...

OMG, radish pods! I just "discovered" those this year and felt like I just discovered a secret food! (I'm slow, what can I say) I don't care for radish but I find the pods are much less potent.

You are always so busy knitting, sewing & such, and wonderful cute things! Rhiannon and I still have our little bunny nuggets, although Mr. Mustache has commandeered one of them.

Steve Reed said...

I haven't the slightest idea how to even operate a sewing machine, so you're several steps ahead of me, even if yours isn't doing quite what you wanted it to do!

Our charity shops aren't even open yet. And still people are leaving bags of stuff in front of them. :/

Sam I Am...... said...

Great minds think alike! When I used to work outside the home, I did the same thing....calculating how I could get the most out of holidays combined with a weekend and some personal days. Good job! Yes, it is hot here so I go out early and get my work done. Today I mowed and the grass was really wet but I didn't care...it was supposed to get to 90 and feel like 100! I was done by 10:30 and it was only 87 by them! LOL! Glad you got your weeding done and some other projects. What a great feeling, huh? I finally got the 2nd coat of paint on a door that got it's first coat about 6 months ago! I just keep trudging a long and I can tell you do too! You go girl!

linnellnickerson@gmail.com said...

From what I read from your Blog you've been very busy. I have a Singer Featherweight also and It's a great little machine. French seams are nice ,but can be a bit of work. When you can I'd love to see pictures of your garden! Take care and stay safe!!