Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2020

I'd say my style is Shabby Chic. Without the Chic.

Heavens.  I was toddling out to go get feed, when I happened to glance down and was horrified to see flotsam and jetsam all over the front of my t-shirt.  Even though I was only going to the feed mill, there are certain standards even I need to meet in order to stay this side of feral.  I trickled back inside and exchanged it for the next on the stack.  This got me musing about my closet and about my general style.  All of my fall/winter work wardrobe is still front and center - after being abandoned in March with the onset of the pandemic.  I never touched the majority of my spring/summer work wardrobe and have been living in jeans and t-shirts.  The jeans that still fit, that is.  Now, with my job on the outskys, I will have a closetful of clothes that will not see the light of day.  Time for another purge.
As I was working on the latest of the SOYSOX, I contemplated my pj bottoms.  Why would anyone think it was the right thing to do, to put gold glitter threads in cotton pajama bottoms?  And why would someone who buys her pj bottoms in Walmart's bargain racks even care?  It's not like I demand haute couture in my sleepwear.  If it wasn't for this pandemic, I would insist that my style maven (aka Sylvie) make regular visits to make sure I hadn't fallen off the wagon completely.

With the onset of three good frosts in a row, I had picked everything off the tomato vines and the pepper plants that I thought would ripen.  I will have to say that my favorite tomato of all time is now the Mushroom Basket tomato.  It turns a beautiful dark red, is hugely meaty and sweet.  I had very little problem with the one plant I got from Marianne and most of the green tomatoes are ripening.
Mushroom Basket tomatoes with a
Pineapple tomato thrown in just for fun.


The peppers were disappointing, but then it was a very frustrating year for the garden (and the gardener).  I also think that they did not get enough sun, so I will be changing beds next year.

While my sister was attacking the monster hops vine with vigor, I managed to save some hops.  I am not a beer drinker or maker, but had a niggling memory of reading something about their herbal aspects in the back of my mind.  Sure enough, hops are related to marijuana and hemp and have soothing qualities when drunk as tea.  Cindy and I tried it out one night and it seemed to work.  They are bitter, but not unpleasantly so, in my opinion, of course.  Nothing that a bit of honey can't smooth over.  I dried two quart jars full and will dose myself as needed.

It must be officially autumn because my cooking mojo has resurfaced.  I've roasted vegetables, baked up a batch of delish pumpkin raisin GF muffins, baked dog biscuits, made cranberry applesauce for the freezer, and will be working my way through the rest of the apples this weekend.  I still have a head of green cabbage and a head of red cabbage to work some magic on, too.  Now all I need is the energy to match the food supply.
Cranberry Applesauce.
It tastes better than it looks!

I have been binge-listening to P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster recordings, with the result that certain expressions have entered into my conversation with alarming regularity - I say!  I trickle in and out.  I "what ho!" when entering the house.  Things have become rather fruity.  I better wean myself off this path or I may never look back.

I have had a communication from the Mothership (which I prompted, after days of radio silence) and my last day will be Friday, October 9.  We have worked out an amenable separation agreement and I will be glad when it is finally done.  Of course, negotiating my way through Social Security and Medicare has been jolly fun.  There may be a lapse between work coverage and Medicare, but that is how it goes.  I will swaddle myself in bubble wrap and stay put until the coast is clear.


I would also like to thank Debby - she who was not only the bright spot in my week, but the sun rising!

Pardon me whilst I dash off to cast a critical eyeball on the state of Peanut's talons.

A pawdicure is on the near horizon.

17 comments:

Ed said...

I've noticed my work cloths getting worn out much quicker than normal since I haven't had to put on the going to town clothes as often this year. That's fine by me.

How big is your lapse in healthcare? Most states give you two months retroactive COBRA healthcare. If that wasn't enough, I would still pick up a cheap catastrophic insurance policy just in case.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I was never much of a clothes horse but things have definitely deteriorated here too. Since I retired, I have worn nothing but t-shirts, jeans, the occasional pair of shorts and my Captain America pj pants.

Yhose mushroom basket tomatoes look amazing! I've never even heard of that variety before!

Michelle said...

"amenable separation agreement" is the best news I've heard from you so far! A health care lapse is worrisome, but then again if tRump steals this election, Medicare (and SS) may die a quick death. I'm sorry; not something you want to hear, but certainly something looming for all of us of a certain age on the ever-menacing horizon. At least you're eating well! I've never heard of that variety of tomato, and that cranberry applesauce sounds (and looks!) yummy!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i am into fall cooking too. i am so happy to have cool weather after a brutally hot and totally dry summer. those tomatoes look wonderful. did you get all of them from one plant? i just made a sauce with the last of my tomatoes today.

Debby said...

LOL. You've made the idea of going feral something to look forward to! I have been resisting it mightily myself, but perhaps I'll just give myself over to the call of the wild!

Susan said...

I predict you will stay healthy with the wonderful food you eat. How does the lapse in coverage impact your hip surgery? I have been listening to audio plays of Dorothy L. Sayers" Lord Peter Whimsy, also a lot of "what ho and by jove". Putting these phrases back into circulation appeals to me. Toodle pip and chin up old girl.

Goatldi said...

I hate to be the one to spoil your post. May I inquire was there to be a photo between the fronds in the lemons and the tomatoes photo. All I have is a big blue space I was thinking maybe you were showing off your big blue sky. I got all the rest that inquiring minds wanna know.

Who knew about hops and hemp. But since they are both H words makes perfect good sense to me.

Glad to know you have taken back your life. Off to share with my sister so she can take notes on life after retirement from your post.

MargaretP said...

Congratulations on the next step, I've found retirement to be lovely. Cooking, gardening, soap making, knitting, sewing, bushwalking...some days you wonder how you ever had time to go to work.

Joanne Noragon said...

That apple sauce is lovely. A happy retirement to you, by the way, and I hope our horizon clears and can be restored.

Toni said...

Oh my gosh! I laughed out laughed when I read the first couple of lines. I
looked down at my shirt (second day wearing it) and there it was; lots of flotsam and a bit of jetsam! How did I not know!

I purged my closet last week. Kept one suit jacket and one pencil skirt, just in case I've got to look dressed up for something. Kept three pairs of paint/garden pants, three paint/garden tops, some jeans and shirts. It's like a good haircut! Got more jammies than clothes! Loving it!

wyomingheart said...

Those tomatoes are simply peachy!.. Lol ! Great to hear that the mothership has worked out some things with you. Having retired four years ago, I must say that it seems like I have more money now, than when I was working my buns off. Don’t know how it’s possible, but it is! The only problem I have now is that living with my own schedule, seems like I don’t have enough hours to complete the projects in my days! Yep, busier now than when I worked 50 hours a week! Have a perfect week, and good luck on the SSI and Medicare journey!

ellen abbott said...

those tomatoes look awesome! I never had any health insurance being a self employed artist just barely making it at times until I qualified for medicare and the supplement which is all up in the air right about now. if it goes away it won't be any different than it ever was.

Nancy In Boise said...

I didn't realize the Hops had some medicinal properties on its own! Interesting. I never heard of that variety of tomatoes but I do tend to gravitate toward the smaller ones now since they get ripe earlier. I have most of my work clothes for the hot summer days on unworn since I worked from home. I've been drying squash and getting ready to freeze some more tomatoes. Pretty soon I'm a thought few and make some homemade pasta sauce to freeze. I have a few more years to work sadly before I can retire but given the current state of the world I may be working from home until then anyway. I bet you won't miss your winter commutes anymore to work! You can relax and have a cup of hot tea and unwind

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

I've definitely got some flotsam and jetsam floating around here too. Love the hops...tea...who knew...much easier than making beer. Yes, it's time to get the yarn out! Soy Sox...hmm...I'll have to go searching. Those tomatoes are interesting looking. Cranberry applesauce sounds very tasty. I have listened on audio to Jeeves and Wooster and it took me a while to get used to the accent so I could understand them but they were quite entertaining. I enjoyed it while making supper or doing kitchen duty. There is COBRA that you can get for in-between jobs or before Medicare kicks in. It is very expensive but a major illness could bankrupt you but then you could declare bankruptcy and all would be forgiven. Take care!

Steve Reed said...

I should have saved some hops when I cleared those vines out of the tree down the street! I had no idea they could be used for herbal tea.

A little Jeeves and Wooster never hurt anybody! Cheerio! LOL

CraveCute said...

I'm not a beer drinker, but I'm wishing I had planted hops this year!

PKBrandon said...

You crack me up; I love your blog. Stay safe and keep entertaining.