Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Good grief. Valentine's Day.

For most of my life, I have experienced Valentine's Day much as Charlie Brown experienced kicking that football.  Hope snatched away, right in mid-kick.  (Wah, wah, wah...)  Forget a sweetie pie, I've got friends who love me (you know who you are...xoxoxo).  To make this VaDa (to differentiate the day from the disease), even more special, I found out I was the victim of IT (unfortunately, NOT interterrestrial travel, but Identity Theft.)  I would have much preferred the former.

I suppose I should be happy that the perpetrator is not the sharpest tack in the box.  He/she opened a checking account online with another bank, in my name.  Fortunately for me, they had checks issued to my home address.  I have spent the greater part of today going from that bank, to my bank, and burning up the phone lines to all three credit bureaus.  I also reported the fraud to Federal Trade Commission and have tried to contact a human at the Social Security Agency.  After three tries, holding for 45 minutes each go-around, I gave up for now.  I'll tackle it early in the morning and hope to get a jump on the 500 million people they service.  It grates my fanny that this happened, but it was only a matter of time.  I am seriously considering life as a Luddite.  

On a sunnier note, we celebrated VaDa early and this is what made it special:

Resplendent in her VD outfit.

My youngest sis and her son came up from The City to spend the weekend with Mom.  At 98, we celebrate every day and every occasion.

I am so looking forward to Farch.  At least if it is less icy than January/February.  If it's not, it can go someplace else.  Just when I think I'm making headway on the ice accumulation, we get a spell of warmish weather, followed immediately by frigid weather.  I bet we have well over two inches of ice under the latest layer.  There was a lot of tree damage during the last ice storm and it looks like i may have to wait until April to clean up the branches.



I have the grid paper, garden journal, garden notebook and seed collection out on the dining room table.  I am ready for green things!



9 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Aw, such a sweet picture of your mom. (And her handsome grandson!
)
You've suffered identity theft? Oh, no! Drat and blast. In this day and age, I think it's a wonder it doesn't happen more often. So sorry you have had to go through all the unraveling of it. :o(

We've had more snow this winter than in many winters past and also (hooray!) less ice than in many winters past. How lucky have we been?

I, too, have been planning and giving a lot of thought to this coming season's garden. I'm going full bore this year including growing some things for the poultry. They just finished off their last head of cabbage from last year and loved it even though it was frozen!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i love the photo of your mum and nephew...how sweet! i guess i can't stop spring so i will just have to embrace it. i think i might pass on planting veggies this year because i spent so much money watering them last year and had a horrible harvest. i'm thinking of just planting flowers this year.

Joanne Noragon said...

I have been warned that two adults in the family have fallen on the resident ice.
Your mom is lovely Keep her smiling,

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Glad you and your family had a good celebration with your Mom, but bummer about that identity theft. What a pain in the behind!

Steve Reed said...

So sorry to hear about the identity theft! That's frustrating! (And scary and tedious.) I hope you get it all ironed out without too much trouble.

Accumulated ice can be beautiful but also dangerous. I'm sure you ARE ready for green things!

Debby said...

Oh no! Do they have any idea how this person got your info? Truly, one of my biggest concerns in this day. It seems as if the scammers are everywhere.

Your mom looks like such a happy soul!

Ed said...

Ouch! Hoping you get kidnapped by aliens the next time around.

ellen abbott said...

Sorry to hear about the ID theft. What a pain in the ass. People suck. I think it may be spring starting here. The birds seem to think so. Now if we can just not have another freeze.

Susan said...

I dread identity theft. I would not cope well with all the follow up. Your Mom looks so well cared for and happy. I did my seed sort last week. it was very satisfying. One or two spring bulbs are pushing through the soil but still a long way to go. Hang in there.