Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Ah, for a cat's life...

Kramer catching some zzzs.

Boy, oh, boy, do I wish I could sleep that soundly!  I am always so amazed when I watch my cats.  They can go from the complete collapse pictured above to supersonic, low-flying mode across the back of the couch in about a nanosecond.  They take leisurely baths - with particular attention to inner ears, face and top of head, thanks to a buddy.  Of course, this then usually leads to biting and rassling.  They can spot a small, loose item from six miles and pounce on it.  It is usually a heavy, LOUD object that is whapped across the wood floor in the early hours of the morning.

If you have any doubt as to whether an object is safe from cats, it is not.  They can read your mind.  They have their dog-terrorizing routine down to a hairsbreadth of getting caught by said dog.  They are the reason tear-proof screening was invented.

They are infinitely interesting and entertaining.  I want to be my cats.

9 comments:

Carolyn said...

I always wondered why the saying doesn't go, "It's a CAT'S life" instead of "Dog".

I would much rather be my cat than the dog.

Thanks for the kitty picture. :)

Susan said...

Carolyn - Dogs worry too much. If I'm coming back as anything, it's going to be something with a clear conscience and not a care in the world. And that thing is C.A.T.

Mama Pea said...

Delightful post! I've never cared much for cats. Most likely because my mom had a real phobia against them. But several years ago when my daughter domesticated a feral cat (and has kept one or two since that time), I've come to think they're pretty cool creatures. Still haven't taken the plunge and acquired one of our own though. :o}

Susan said...

Mama Pea - We never had one growing up, either. My mother is not a fan. Which is why the Late Great Tippet used to sidle up to her at every opportunity, the perverse little character. Having always had the urge to "farm", I could only have cats for livestock in the endless string of apartments in which I resided. I have been kept by cats for years.

Sue said...

Cats always seem to gravitate to those that don't like them. I had a friend who HATED cats. Guess whose lap my cat always went for.....

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

It is to iffy to come back as a cat or dog. You might end up at the house of someone who keeps you confined to a crate or is mean to you. Nope, I am going to come back as a skunk. Nobody crazy enough to have anything to do with me then ;)

Susan said...

Sue - I wonder what's going on in their twisted minds?

Jane - Amen to that. I would have to come back as MY cat. Which, of course, would be impossible unless you believe in time travel, which has been proven to be unattainable. Bummer. Skunk, eh? I had a pet skunk once. He was very sweet - a little stinky, but very sweet.

The Apple Pie Gal said...

I had to wrangle up six kittens this weekend to bring to my Aunt's farm. I can't tell you how long it's been since I tried to catch a kitten...if only they had been sleeping like yours and not trying to rip me to shreds!! But it was pretty fun :) No one was hurt, in case you thought! Well, maybe me tho!

Susan said...

APG - There you are! I hope no blood was shed. Don't let Kramer's coma-like posture fool you - if I tried to pick him up, he would rocket into the next room! They're amazing!