Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

What??? It's Monday already???

A week of vacation has come and gone and what do I have to show for it?  I don't remember.  I did get a lot done, although not enough.  But I have come to the conclusion that I will never, ever get as much done as I want to, so what the heck. 

I dug up my Yukon Golds and have two plantings of fingerlings to go.  My onions remain disappointing.  My beans are in utter chaos.  My battle against Japanese beetles continues to wage every day.  My battle against technology seems to be waged every other day.  I got my back deck cleaned off and did some sizable weeding, although that is a battle I will not win this year.  I got more hay in the barn, got to spend a lovely afternoon listening to Haydn and Mahler on the lawn at Tanglewood.  Made Chicken Ballotine which would have been amazing, had I focused enough to see that I chose one of my age-unknown freezer chickens instead of a nice, tender Red.  I now have experienced real rubber chicken!

I made some headway on my farm plan, did some major reorganizing, and picked blueberries.  I spent time with girlfriends and watched episodes of The Closer in the middle of the afternoon.  I canned.  I baked.  I made cheese, yogurt and butter.  I relaxed.

Now I am back hard at it.  But feeling better able to rassle with whatever comes my way.  Hallelujah!

10 comments:

judy said...

OF ALL THE THINGS EVERYONE DOES -I WOULD LOVE TO MAKE CHEESE AND ALSO MAYBE YOU COULD SHARE WHAT CHICKEN BALLENTINE RECIPE IS?-IS IT GOOD ?AND WELCOME BACK

Susan said...

Judy - Thank you for missing me! Basically, the chicken recipe is boning a whole chicken in one piece, stuffing it, rolling it up, sewing it together and roasting it. That's what made it so sad - all that work and it was a rubber chicken.

Carolyn said...

Was wondering what happened to ya! Welcome back.

Sorry to hear about your rubber chicken. But I do have a question....what's the point of deboning an entire chicken, in one piece nonetheless? Seems easier to just jam the stuffing in the bird & be done with it. (This is why I'll NEVER be a gourmet cook!)

Susan said...

Carolyn Renee - Heehee! I doubt if there IS a point to it. It's just one of those O/C things I do every once in a while. No pain, no gourmet gain. Ha.

The Apple Pie Gal said...

Rubber chicken! I have a visual of you with a real rubber chicken now!

Yes, we missed you! I can't believe your vacation is over already. It seems like yesterday we were wishing you good times!!

Work: Phooey!

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

That week did go fast. It sounds like you had a very full vacation, the only way to have gotten more done was to never sleep. Anyway, you have to remember what my Dad said- once you get every done and the way you want it, you usually die and dont get to enjoy it anyway. So just enjoy the undoneness of it all, and stay top side ;)

Susan said...

APG - Phooey, indeed! My excuse for not being on was that my battle with technology was mostly me losing. It wasn't even a tie.

Jane - Smart man, your dad. I had hoped to sleep a lot more, but that, apparently, is not in my DNA makeup. It was fun!

Mama Pea said...

We've all got to learn to stop pushing ourselves to do so much. Unless we're enjoying trying to do so much. Are we? I think that's the key. I mean I'd never want to loll around being bored to death with nothing to do but why am I pushing myself so hard if it's not fun? What part is fun? And do I have the smarts to cut out the rest? Why do I try to do so much? Can't I be happy with less? Less what? What do I cut out? (Can you tell my stomach is growling with hunger, no one is making me any dinner [poor me], and I'm literally in the middle of repainting the pantry.) To top it all off, you in no way asked for this rant of mine. Sorry. I must be light-headed from the hunger. :o\

I'm truly duly glad you had a good vacation week, my good bloggy buddy.

Susan said...

Mama Pea - Too much work, not enough chocolate, not to mention paint fumes are not a good combination. Add to that a dangerous lack of quilting and we're looking at burnout. Time to smell the roses - not the poly, dear Mama Pea.

Erin said...

Sizeable weeding? I am in AWE of you! I can barely stand it to go out and harvest in the morning anymore, it's terrible out there LOL!