Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Fizzled.

After searching without success for guinea keets, I decided to take matters into my own hands and bid on some fertile eggs on eBay.  Let me say that I am very glad I didn't pay a lot for them.  15 eggs went into the incubator (with its automatic egg turner - I've learned a few things) and this many hatched:  0.  I was diligent in my monitoring of both humidity and temperature.  The thermometer was new and worked properly.  There were no fluctuations in room temperature.  Zippo.  That's disappointing.  Now I'm trying to decide whether I should try it again, or keep checking craigslist in the hopes that all those who rushed out to get Guinea keets found out how much noise they make when they grow up and are trying to unload them as fast as they can.  A girl can hope, you know.

9 comments:

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

How long did you incubate them? Sometimes they can take over 27 days. And they are so darn hard to candle it is hard to see what is going on in there. How were they shipped? I never heard of buying them on ebay. Mine are laying again and I would love to ship you eggs but since they cant be shook and should be kept cool until incubation time I can not understand how they can be mailed?

Freedom Acres Farm said...

I wish you were closer to me - my neighbor is selling fertile guinea eggs by the dozen right now! Sorry you're having a bad time of it.

Michelle said...

I can't imagine wanting guineas, but I'm sorry you didn't get any. :-(

petey said...

You are the second person i have heard that has not had success with an incubator..I may rethink getting one. Dumb Mrs B, who only hatched 2 chicks lost one. Oprah is still sitting on 14 eggs and none of them have hatched yet...I am wondering if Mr T disliked the psycho hens as much as we did...hmmmm. That said...when they shipped my meaties to me, they used a bunch of odd chicks as packing material and at least 2 of them are feathering out and looking suspiciously like guineas!

Susan said...

Jane - Can't be shaken??? I would think, then, that mailing them wouldn't be the best method of delivery - since, if you put "Fragile" on the package they throw it harder. Cripes.

FAF - Oh, me, too! This is the first time I have ever had a zero hatch.

Michelle - Right, well, maybe it's a mixed blessing.

Petey - I have always had success with an incubator until this particular hatch. But, given what Jane said (and she knows her guineas), it's no wonder. I would highly recommend getting an egg turner - and an incubator with a fan. It's worth the extra $. They 'packed' with guineas??? Who was the hatchery?

Amy Dingmann said...

I second Jane's comment - those eggs can't be shaken, so I think its really odd they'd think it would work to ship them to you! Hmmm...I hope you can find someone local to provide you with new eggs to try!

Candy C. said...

Hmmmm...from the other comments, it sounds as though shipping guinea eggs is a no-no! I hope you can find some locally.

Akannie said...

You can get eggs on Ebay??

lol--who knew?

Susan said...

Mama Tea - Then, someone should alert the character who put them on eBay!

Candy - Who knew? Last year they were everywhere. This year - nada.

Akannie - You can get almost everything on eBay! It's amazing!