Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

It pays to have a name around here.

Somehow, I missed the fact that Freddy the Bearded Lady was gimpy.  That is, until she was really gimpy.  By then I realized that there was something seriously wrong with her foot.  But what?  I headed to my favorite source of how to fix serious things - Leigh's blog.  I ran down the handy resource listing on the right and found what I thought it was -- Bumblefoot.  For crying out loud - who came up with that name?  I read the information thoroughly and came to the conclusion that I had missed the early/easy stages, and that some foot surgery was needed.  And I was NOT going to do it myself.  I do know my limitations.  Most of the time.

What to do.  I picked up the phone this morning and left a message for Doctor Rod.  It went something like this, "Hi, there Doctor Rod.  You may remember me - the one with the huge, fat cat that had both his canines extracted?  The one that could only catch one of her other two cats?  Well, I have another small problem with...with...a chicken.  I am very fond of her and she has injured her foot and could you possibly find it in your heart to do some minor surgery I will be glad to help." (I figured I had more chance of success by running it into one long sentence before the true nature of the call registered.)  I left my cell phone number and hung up.

While I was sitting in a loooong line of non-moving traffic this morning on my way to work (they had, through some amazingly stupid choice, closed four lanes of freeway into one during rush hour), my phone rang.  I looked quickly around to see if anyone would notice I was going to answer my cell phone - ha.  Everyone around me was yakking away.  It was Doctor Rod!  Sure, he would do it.  Did I need to bring her in today?  Was it an emergency?  Have I mentioned lately how much I love my new vet?  We set up an appointment for Monday morning.  I will have to help, as his vet tech is out.  He asked if I would mind if we wrapped her in a towel and I held her during the procedure.  I said that I wouldn't, and didn't feel I needed to mention that, less than a week ago, I had been pulling billions of feathers off her nameless, headless brethern.  TMI!!!

9 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Bumblefoot. Sounds like a name in a Harry Potter novel.

Sending best of luck to you in your new career as a vet tech. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Reasonable Season (Me) said...

I hope Freddy will come through the surgery with flying colors. (It had to be said... I know... a groaner.)

Good luck and let us know. :) Happy Friday too!

Susan said...

Mama Pea - I wonder if he'd let me photograph it? Hey - I'd love to have been a vet tech. It would make this homesteading venture a lot less costly, I tell you.

RS(Me) - Ooooooooooh...:o) Happy Friday to you, too!

Unknown said...

Here's a home treatment, if interested-
http://successwithpoultry.blogspot.com/2009/09/bumblefoot-chicken.html

Susan said...

Nancy - That's the same link that Leigh has on her blog. Let me ask you, how many of us have a chicken that will lay in our laps and let us mess with their feet? Let alone a rooster! I do love vet wrap though. Freddy will be residing in a big dog crate until her foot is much improved.

Unknown said...

Oh sorry, I just googled it. Yes, birds can be persnickety!

Ngo Family Farm said...

Wow, that vet is a keeper for sure!! Hope your chickie is all healed up soon. I had a couple injured birds and have been amazed at how well they can recover!
-Jaime

Erin said...

I sure hope the chicken cooperates and you are able to soak up some more vet knowledge to add to all the other stuff up there in the noggin LOL! Can't imagine how the process will go but I hope it's relatively stress free!

Leigh said...

Wow. I reckon having so many things go wrong and then blogging about them can be useful afterall, LOL. I was fortunate that Lord B would let me hold him. Cowboy or any of our Buffs however, would be a different story. Love that you have such a great vet!