Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

Monday Musings.

Besides being overrun with squirrels this winter, the rabbit population seems to be keeping pace as well.  When I go out in the mornings, it looks like there was a Rabbit Jamboree all over the front, back and side yards!  Many fast and furious renditions of the Hokey-Pokey.  Lately, not only do I have to shoo (polite word for shoot at) squirrels off the birdfeeder on the deck railing, but there is a resident deck bunny as well.  Contrary to my War of the Squirrelz, I tend to have a soft spot in my heart for rabbits.  When I was a kid, I found a rabbit that had been hit by a car and injured, so, weeping copious tears, I brought it home and put it in a cardboard box lined with one of my mother's towels.  My uncle, the veterinarian, happened to be visiting (probably hoping for Mom's fabulous meatloaf dinner) and, with even more copious tears, I pleaded with him to "save my bunny!"  I don't recall any eye-rolling, but I am sure there was plenty.  He rummaged through his black bag and came up with some iodine, which he promptly poured on the abrasions on the rabbit's hind leg.  At which point the rabbit came fully back to life and tore through the house, kids and adults chasing behind him.  We finally managed to get the front door open and he shot out to freedom.  Then there was the time when Dad accidentally ran over a rabbit on the road.  A chorus of three wailers from the backseat and an ocean of tears.  We refused to talk to him.  My poor, long-suffering Dad.

On an oddly-related subject, I have, at this late point, come to like celery.  Not exactly earth-shattering news, but I have managed to loathe it most of my life.  I can trace the core of my celery-abhorrence to my brief stint in the hospital at 17 to get my tonsils out.  Expecting ice cream, I got endless bowls of institutional cream of celery soup.  Gak.  After that, the only way I would eat it was with a heavy load of peanut butter gracing the groove in a ratio of 100:1 (PB:celery).  This new appreciation for celery has come gradually and from the fact that I am so frugal by nature.  My co-worker, who is constantly bemoaning her weight, brings a large package of celery to work every week, a virtuous attempt at eating a more healthy diet.  This usually lasts for one day.  Then the celery languishes in the office refrigerator for the rest of the week, along with the carrots and other vegetables and fresh fruit that is shunned for restaurant meals.  Then she throws it all out.  OMG.  So I go and fish it all out of the trash and take it home.  Where I have to use it or show myself as a phoney-baloney.  Quite honestly, I had to choke it down the first week or so.  Now I add it to almost everything.  Except soup.

10 comments:

The Maine Gray Zone said...

Funny, I am not a big celery fan either but decided to get some recently to quench the desire for something chewy vs the usual nuts, in my new quest to get rid of the pounds I put on this winter. It is great as I believe aside from the fiber, it has zero food value.

SweetLand Farm said...

I can't imagine eating cream of celery soup just by itself. I would much rather a bowl of ice cream too! To cook with it would be fine too!
I don't mind eating celery if it's fresh and has cream cheese and olives on it, or PB!! I love it in soup though, adds a nice flavor!

Michelle said...

Cute story.what a great way to start the week, with a smile.

Jenyfer Matthews said...

I too discovered I like celery more than I thought I did. This revelation came when a large stalk came along with my bloody mary :)

Carolyn said...

What Satanic hospital did you go to that they gave you cream of celery soup instead of ice cream?!? I bet you could sue them for mental anguish.

petey said...

Did you know a whole stock of celery dehydrated can fit in your hand? Kinda cool, I thought. I always do that, so I have it on hand for soups (not cream of celery!) and stews. I got over my squirrel and bunny issues when they became annoying and waged war on me. I can relate.

Mama Pea said...

Hey, I have an idea! You could bring home all those discarded veggies (whoops, I meant v-e-g-e-t-a-b-l-e-s) and feed them to your resident rabbit herd. Wouldn't they be happy? (Hee-hee.)

Michelle said...

I read Mama Pea's comment and totally got derailed (from what I was going to say) by her excellent idea!

Candy C. said...

Celery is truly best served with a 100:1 ratio of peanut butter to celery! ;)
We have a ton of cottontails around here and they are all named (by me) Bunny Butt. As long as they stay out of my garden, they are allowed to hang out.

Erin said...

Well I was thinking rabbit dinner until I saw the bit about a soft spot for them LOL! I'm the opposite, I used to love celery when I was a kid but now seem to smell it everywhere after I eat it and it just bugs me. I didn't have PB but my mom used to put that (remember!) squeeze cheese in the tubes in the celery and I loved it. It makes me cringe now LOL what was IN that stuff? Can't remember the name of it but it made flowers and stuff through the "nozzle" hehehe we'll call it "Nozzle Cheese" ewwww!