Pages

Monday, May 18, 2015

All hail, Sprummer!

It's wackier than usual, this weather.  Frost one night, high 80s and humid the next day.  It is wreaking havoc with my gardening schedule.  Plus there's the fact that we have had no measurable rain in almost a month.  All righty, then. 


I'm thinking I might have found the next Chia Pet - Hula Lady!  She is powered by a small solar cell in the base.  The only complaint I have is that they should have at least painted the base green.  This looks like she's standing on the bathroom scales.  The best part?  It really, really irritates the Lexus driver to my right and the BMW driver to my left in the parking garage.  The rebel still lurks below the surface....

Monday started atypically, with me sauntering up to the screen door with my coffee to see...a full grown Angus bull in my backyard.  I went on the deck and we eyed each other up and down for a minute or two.  Then the dogs caught sight of him and Pepperoni, he of the six inch stature, decided to take issue with the interloper.  The bull snorted, stamped his hoof and then, thankfully, did a quick about-turn and trampled down the bank towards home.  I called my neighbor and left a message that his bull was on the loose.  Then we all calmed down and I finished my coffee.

I have finally decided that I need an intervention.  And where is my chief interventionist?  On a catamaran headed around the Florida peninsula.  Sylvie!  I guess I'll have to muddle through on my own.  I've got yard sale stuff everywhere, plants needing to go in the ground, a chicken coop that needs cleaning, a run-in shed that needs cleaning.  I should have paid more attention in science class so that I would know how to clone myself.  I did manage to get my tomato plants in and two pepper plants.  I also finished planting my potatoes, but still need to put the Copra onions in and my lettuce, arugula, chard and beets.  Not to mention my zucchini.  Since it was so damn hot this weekend, I divided my time getting beds ready for the tomatoes - I am so proud of myself.  I set a limit at 4 plants and managed to stop at six.  Now you can see why I need an intervention.  Of course, I am not counting the tomatillos, since they are not - or so I say - tomatoes.

The Tweenagers are now allowed out of their coop - with a temporary fence between them and the big flock.  It was the usual hysteria, followed by the thrill of discovering grass and bugs.  I had forgotten about the hitch in the process, where they do not naturally go back inside at night.  I had to round them up and put them inside - stretching my evening chores into o'dark thirty.  They will pick it up soon.  Hope springs eternal.  The Meaties are growing like...meaties.  I ran out of both time and steam last night and did not clean out their brooder.  It is at the top of the list when I get finished with chores tonight. 

While I was trying to figure out what to do with the plethora of young roosters in this batch of straight run chicks (never again), I was introduced to a local handyman by my friend/neighbor.  And, hallelujah, he lost a rooster AND was in construction for 30 years.  He has agreed to roof my run-in shed (he is inexpensive and reliable) and take two roosters off my hands.  He also knows where to buy heavily discounted bundles of shingles!  Woot!  Now I have to find some strong lad to shovel the run in out -- it shouldn't be too onerous, as it is dry and lighter than it would have been, had we had any rain since winter.  I have a lad in mind -- my dairy farmer/neighbor's new helper.

This week is all about getting ready for the yard sale.  It's no wonder I only do this once every six years.  The ads will run in the local paper (so I can't back out....I know myself so well) and it is only for one day.  I can live through that.  The dogs will go bonkers, but they will have to live through it as well.  And I get to rehome a bunch of stuff!

10 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i need an intervention too! i bought a flat of tomatoes. and this is after i planted all of my beds. i was doing so good and then it went straight out of the window.

Sue said...

I wish we lived closer. I actually have TWO WHOLE DAYS that are not scheduled. How the heck did that happen???

GLad you found a home for a couple of the boys at any rate. I only bought straight run ONCE. I learned a valuable lesson---there is always more males than females .And--no one ever seems to want the roosters.
Hope you get caught up

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I can completely understand about the amount of stuff that needs done. I'm starting to panic that I won't be able to to do it all myself this summer. Hubby has found reasons lately to be gone when it's time to garden. Cool on someone taking the roosters and getting the roof done.

Susan said...

Jaz - Where on earth are you going to put them? Roof garden? I know what you mean, though. I was all set with my four, then saw two more of unknown but intriguing varieties.

Susan said...

Sue - I would bet that your two unscheduled days are filling up fast! This was only the second (and last) time I got unsexed chicks. I am a slow learner, it seems....

Susan said...

Kristina - Isn't it interesting how your help can disappear once the novelty has worn off? I laughed when I read your post about disappearing into your closet - I really have been hoping for rain for an excuse to do nothing but purge!

SweetLand Farm said...

It's been cold and not very seasonable here in New England for sure.
I like the hula girls in the car! Haha
We had 5 roosters here for a while. Nothing but trouble they are. Now we are down to one and he seems to be ok. He was supposed to be a hen, but someone goofed and grabbed the wrong sex. I guess it happens. Oh well. Maybe we'll get a few chicks outta him.











Carolyn said...

WORST part about getting new birds....having to presonally place them in the coop every night until they finally "get" it. Oh, and the cleaning of the coop. And the cleaning of the brooder. And, and, and......exactly why is it that we have chickens??

LOVE the hula lady. Although if you start a collection I may have to order some intervention for you. My FIL has at LEAST thirty of the damned things, much to my other's dismay, all on the front porch, bobbing up and down or side to side.

Susan said...

I need help too, mostly in figuring out how I can get to your yard sale!

DFW said...

Wow busy as usual. Don't know what I would have done if I saw that bull in my backyard! Yard sales are no fun but it sure feels good to get all that stuff out of the house. My MIL & I are about due one ourselves, uggg.