Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

What a glorious sight!

Totally tidy nesting boxes

Yes, it's a cleaned out chicken coop!  I finished it yesterday - reveling in it's cleaned-out-ness for 15 minutes, then got over it.  Fresh shavings were spread and everyone was happy.  It was a very busy weekend - yard sale, house cleaning, errand running, garden planting, chicken coop cleaning, sister visiting.

The yard sale was okay, although it would have been much better, had the local rag remembered to run my ad.  I had big plans to get things set up and covered with a tarp so I wouldn't have to run around like a lunatic Saturday morning.  However, the winds were blowing and the temperature was dropping like a stone, so I spent the evening swaddling my tomato plants, etc.  Still, things were moved out of the house.  Of course, some things were moved in:


Thanks to my shaky hand, it's too out of focus to get the detail - it's my neighbor's old toy box for his boys.  It has a Western motif stamped in red on the front and top - saddles, horses and cowboys.  How could I NOT have it?  It replaces the shiny red chest, which got hauled out and sold.  So I'm even!  I was very tempted to keep this:


as I always wanted a tractor.  It's a child's riding Farmall - solid cast metal in really good condition.  I ended up selling it for pretty close to what I think it was worth.  Someone's lucky grandson will be tootling around in it.  I also chalked up 15,000+ steps on my Fitbit.  Thanks to all that standing and walking, I was whumped Saturday night and didn't have much energy Sunday morning.  As frustrating as it is, I am not as young as I think I am.  Plus, after a morning low of 33 degrees, the temperatures shot up to the mid-80s.  What weather!  I kept a low profile, ran some errands and cleaned the house.  Lovey's crate went into storage.  Out went the ratty rug in front of the sliding glass door, in came a new one.  Fig tree went out to keep Lemon tree company.  Windows were washed, floors washed, vacuum run.  Dust badgers tackled.

Sunday I finally mustered up the strength to tackle the coop.  My sister had dropped off her three lovely hens Saturday morning and they proved to be smart and sweet.  Never before have I had such a seamless introduction of older hens.  Penelope (RIR) mustered the troops (Izzy and Maddy - both Welsummers) and they stay in a tight bunch, keeping a low profile.  Just as I finished the dreaded job, my sister pulled up for an overnight visit (and celebration of her move closer to me/us).  What fun!  The dogs practically swooned when Auntie C came in.  As a matter of fact, the Pepperoni is entirely and totally in love with her.  I got up this morning and couldn't find him - until I located a dark lump curled up outside the guestroom door.  Cute. 

I am glad I had such a lovely end to my long weekend, as things at the office are in total chaos. 

22 comments:

Sue said...

Cripes--you almost hate to let the girls back in there!
Compost pile? Or do you spread it right away?

Anywho, enough questions. Glad you had a nice weekend. If only they were ALL so long.................
Oooooo
Retirement??
:D

jaz@octoberfarm said...

sounds like a fun weekend. i never would let that tractor go! it is wonderful! some little kid must be happy!

Janice Grinyer said...

ah, a satisfying weekend; the best kind! xox

MrsDuncanMahogany said...

Sounds like a busy but fulfilling weekend! Love the tidy nesting boxes!

DFW said...

Glad you were able to get as much done as you did (whew, I'm worn out just reading it). My MIL & I had a HUGE garage sale & the local paper missed our ad as well & we are remote enough to not get very much traffic. We wound up giving a 2 huge truckloads full to a local church. And yes, that coop is beautiful!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

The coop looks great! Sorry things are a bit crazy at work, and glad you had a prosperous weekend.

DFW said...

Note: This was a few years ago.

Fiona said...

The joy's of a clean coop! Its these simple and unusual things [to city folk] that make country folk appreciate things for what they are accomplishments! Sounds like you really did have a grand weekend!

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

You had a very productive weekend!! Your chicken coop looks nice and clean.....ready for fresh shavings. It sounds to me you made out pretty well on your yard sale with the toy box and selling items.
Now 15,000+ steps is good girl, you've been doing all kinds of walking there!!!
I can only get my fitbit to hit 12,200 steps......not motivated I guess, lol.....

Enjoy your week!

Spiderjohn said...

Susan, your chicken coop is... is...just....beautiful!!
Somewhere in the dungeons of my family's pictorial archives is a picture of me sitting on a tractor like the the one you have. I must have been about three or four. Sure don't remember if it was a Farmall and have nobody left to ask, but I do remember I was a cute little shit sitting on it!
Glad you had a good weekend.

Florida Farm Girl said...

I'm glad your sister is now close enough for jammy parties. It'll make a world of difference for you.

Susan said...

Sue - I often have visions of retirement dancing in front of my eyes. But I'm not sure I could live through retirement.... :)

Susan said...

Jaz - That's the trouble with these sales. I did not want to let it go and sold it for a good price. But I was having trouble letting all kinds of things go and the purpose of the sale was to improve the feng shui of my house!

Susan said...

JG - Ain't that the truth?

Susan said...

Mrs DM - I found those boxes in someone's trash pile. I couldn't believe they were throwing them out!

Susan said...

DFW - I am lucky that I was able to post it with a few pictures of the "highlights" in a Facebook group. Otherwise, I doubt if anyone would have shown up! I have a carload of stuff heading to Goodwill this weekend.

Susan said...

Kristina - Yes, since I have no control over my work life, it is very nice to have the farm to come home to. Very little control there, come to think of it...

Susan said...

Fiona - As much as I drag my feet getting started on it, there is so much satisfaction when it is finally done! All that's left is the dusting... :)

Susan said...

Sandy - That was the one high blip on my weekly fitbit print out. The rest of the days are WAY slower than that!

Susan said...

SJ - Well, thank you! I bet you WERE a cute little shit... :)

Susan said...

FFG - That is so true. I couldn't believe that she will be close enough now that she can stay over whenever she wants! It is wonderful!

Casa Mariposa said...

A clean coop would make anyone happy. I would love to have chickens but they'd beat up my dogs and my HOA would shit a brick. You are the busiest person I know!