Pages

Monday, July 11, 2016

Getting it done.

I realized I was wasting a lot of precious time whining.  This weekend, I hoisted my BGPs, stiffened the upper lip and plunged in.  We got a good, soaking rain over the weekend and it buoyed (pun intended) my spirits and energy level. 

Two dozen garlic scape 'muffins'
I will admit that the cleaning of my house continues to suffer.  But, hey ho.  The dogs and cats don't mind (since they are instigators of all things linty and the hedgehog-sized-hair-bunnies) and I have until Thursday afternoon to spiffy up the guest room and clean bathrooms in advance of my youngest sister's arrival.

Duck Hut 2 in action
You can see how easy it is to clean out - DH2 is easier, as it only has three 2x4s to work around - a better design learned from DH1 - which has four.  You can tell the builder works on houses.  The hinged side/roof has an added benefit of providing shade and shelter from rain.  This is especially good when your Middles seem not to have the sense that god gave a turnip, when it comes to seeking shelter.  The process of getting the Middles out in the morning is as smooth as clockwork, whereas the process of getting the Middles into their hut at night is still very much a work in process.  I have to devise a chute set up so that I can get them herded in as a body, instead of picking them off, one by one. 

Nifty roof lifter

Nesting box projection with
its own lift-able lid
The huts are working out very well.  The Biggies waddle, single file, into theirs at night with only the slightest of 'help'.  Because of the construction, DH1 has a nesting box in the middle of the side.
 
Duck Hut 1 - the Prototype
Meanwhile, back at the little coop, the pullets got to go out into the Big World for the first time on Saturday.  Unlike every other batch of newbies that have gone through the process, instead of peering out timidly until someone got crowded at the door and 'fell' out, these little girls shot out of the door like cannon balls.  I have two new (to me) breeds - Partridge Rocks and Salmon Faverolles, plus a "Free Exotic Chick", which is Murray McMurray speak for extra roosters.  I have no idea what breed he is.  The Faverolles (pictured below) are brassy little things - curious and seemingly fearless.  They also go in and out of the coop all day - another first.  On the first night, all were inside with the exception of one madly peeping little Partridge Rock.  Amazing.

Salmon Faverolles
Since it was raining Sunday morning (O, Frabious Day!), I gathered up all the sofa covers and dog blankets and tootled off to the local (within 20 miles) Laundromat.  I had not been there for about five years, so was caught off guard with the new operation system that did not involve quarters.  High tech!  Money goes in, card pops out and then there is some system of scanning.  I had a brain freeze and looked frantically around for help.  There was a very nice (and highly tattooed) woman with her young son, reading in the corner.  "Help!" I chirruped.  She showed me the ropes and I was off.  I read a book (woot!) and answered some long overdue phone calls.  Then tootled home (still raining WOOT) and attacked the garden.  I weeded for three hours solid and got about 90% of the beds done. 

Duck bedding was cleaned, areas were raked, pawdicures were completed, treats were handed out for good behavior.  Lovey falls on her side and doesn't move through the whole process, silently willing it to be over.  Scrappy and Pepperoni tremble violently, but suffer through it.  I then brushed Pepperoni - he loves it so much that his nose runs - and tried to remove some of Scrappy's loose undercoat.  I swear that dog sheds a basketball-sized pile o' fur every week.

I got a lot done - although I completely missed two of the two MUST-dos on my list.  Last night, I curled up on the sofa with a cat and a dog, a glass of herbal tea and two Aleve and watched the last part of a DVD.  Bliss.





15 comments:

Fiona said...

The duck condo's in Duck Village are beautiful! Isn't herding ducks a weird combination of pushing rope and a runaway.....won't go won't go then run like mad!

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad about the laundromat routine. I go once a year, to wash my down comforter, and have to ask for help navigating the payment system every time.

Susan said...

Love those little chickies. One of my complaints regarding modern life is the myriad designs of card readers-you get handed the darn thing and I don't have a clue which button to press.

Mama Pea said...

Wowzer! You had a hugely productive weekend!

We now have a female Cayuga sitting on a nest . . . on the floor of the chicken house. Do we want more ducks right now? Arrrgh, no. But, as hubby says, it will be nice to know if she proves out to be good at this incubating job and then a good mother. (Boy howdy, are we going to be eating a lot of goose and duck this winter!!)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, everything is so bloody high tech now, isn't it. The last time I went to a laundromat it still used coins too!

Sue said...

Rain , clean duck bedding, a book, and all is right with the world.
:)

And I know what you mean about the laundromat. Hubby and I were in one in Montana that only took credit cards. ????

Sandy Livesay said...

Susan,

I love your duck homes, they're well built.
Time for me to borrow some of your energy :-)
All kinds of chores accomplished wooohooo, now go relax Sweetie.

Love to you and your furbies.
Sandy

Susan said...

Fiona - That's a perfect description of duck herding! I have trained the Anconas pretty well, but the rest are crazy.

Susan said...

Carol - The system makes perfect sense, once you get the hang of it. It's much easier than lugging around five pounds of quarters.

Susan said...

Susan - Hear, hear! I don't know how many times I've cancelled a transaction because of wrong-button-pushing.

Susan said...

Yes, I did! Do you plan on processing your Cayugas as well? I'm trying to plan ahead...

Susan said...

DSWS - Pretty soon, we will be pressing buttons with our thumbs, those being the only digits we have left.

Susan said...

Sue - I know, perfection, right? This one hasn't gone that far. I hope it doesn't. I'm almost giddy when I can write a check anymore.

Susan said...

Sandy - I do love my Duck Village. I could use another condo, but I'm fighting the urge. Love from furbies and me to you!

Mama Pea said...

We will be keeping only enough fowl feathered friends for breeding stock. Probably more this first year (than years following) until we're sure all breeders are "proven." It may look like we're starting a huge poultry operation, but that's not what we're aiming for as an end result!