Pages

Friday, June 8, 2018

I didn't want it to end.




I don't usually do book reviews because a) I rarely have time to read and b) I rarely can find something that I love when I do have time.  So, I turned to my bestie, Sylvie - she of the impeccable everything.  She gave me a reading list and, since I still don't have time to read a real book, I have been borrowing them on CDs from the library.  The first book was Winter Garden, by Kristin Hannah .  It started out a little slow for me because I was not impressed with the daughters and felt like shaking them silly through most of my commute.  Then the mother started to take more of center stage and, by the end, it moved me tp tears.


Next up was News of the World.  I can hardly find enough words to convey how much I loved - adored - this book.


I was overcome with disappointment when it ended because I could have listened to it for weeks on end.  I am going to buy it, but I'm not sure whether to buy the printed book or opt for the recorded book.  I will have to say that the narrator truly enhanced the quality of the story, although it didn't need enhancing - wonderful characters, developed skillfully and believably until it was hard not to feel this was a real story.  Her language is so wonderful (sorry for all the 'wonderfuls', but it is) that it's almost musical.  It's rare that the spoken or read word can conjure up such vivid visions for me.  I cannot recommend it highly enough. 


I'm now listening to Watership Down, a classic I have not read in years.  I do have to be careful with all these great reads, however.  If I reach the parking garage during a particularly good passage, I will sit and listen and forget I have to hie me upstairs!  I've made it by the skin of my teeth more than a few times!




8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love reading a book that is so good I just cannot put it down! But you're right, they are relatively rare. "Watership Down" was one such book for me -- I first read it in university and I stayed up all night reading it because it was so compelling and exciting!

Theresa said...

Oh, thanks for the reading list. I am having a hard time finding ANYTHING I love as much as the Patrick Rothfuss books I have just listened to two times in a row. I could probably listen a third time happily.

ellen abbott said...

I'll have to give those first two a try. which reminds me, I'm due to post my quarterly book reviews.

wisps of words said...

SUPER, to find great books!!!!!!!!

Michelle said...

After reading voraciously from grade school through college, my reading petered out and eventually stopped almost completely after I got married, because SOMEone didn't like getting tuned out. :-/ When I'm in the car, I like to listen to public broadcasting to keep up with a balanced take on world news. Good books are like crack to me – I can't put them down during, and have a severe LETdown after!

Susan said...

An hour ago I was wandering around the library wishing I knew which author would provide a gripping read. It would save time if they had a “really good read” section, but who would make the call? I will look for NotW next time I’m in town. It has been raining for a week so I actually have time to read. I recommend Maggie O’Farrell, a new to me author whose prose is exquisite. One of the few authors who force me to read every word, I have a bad habit of skipping bits.

Mama Pea said...

Oh, I love Kristin Hannah and will have to get that book. Haven't heard of Paulette Jiles but will seek out that one, too. Thank you to both you and Sylvia!

Your commute morning and night is the perfect time for listening to audio books. Doesn't it make the time just fly by?

The Maine Gray Zone said...

My book club decided to insert some classics in our reading list. This month is Cather's "My Antonia", which I read when a teenager. I loved it then and love it now.