Pages

Monday, June 4, 2018

OMGIM!!

I have written myself a note that I will NOT work myself into such a state on Sunday, that I am comatose at 7P.  I am sure that note will get lost in the mail between now and next weekend, but I always have good intentions.


Saturday was spent mainly in the car.  I had to take Princess Pea (aka Layla) to an adoption event an hour away.  This entailed rushing around like a crazy person to get sheets on the line, doing chores, moving the sheep to another bit of greenery, taking down the electric fencing, giving PP her Dramamine for the trip, trying to look less bedraggled than I was and heading out through weekend traffic into a shopping strip mall.  Only marginally less loathsome (in my mind) than an enclosed mall.  When we arrived (PP having only thrown up a little) right on time, no one from the rescue group was there.  I am learning that they operate on Island time.  Or Rescue time.   And this is nothing against these great people, as they all give up their weekend/weekdays to help dogs find great homes.  I just need to relax.  (hahhahahhahheeehehhee)  It was a little chaotic because the pet store was also holding a vaccination clinic.  Princess Pea did her darnedest to prove she is the sweetest dog ever, walking on her hind legs, little front paws waving.  She did have some mild interest - and you'll have to excuse me because I am going to go on a bit of a ranting aside...


*****
What is with people?  Why on GGE do they recognize that she is adorable, trained, loving, sweet tempered and then totally lose interest because she's a 'senior'?  Seriously?  And what?  She's ten, she's a small dog, she's healthy.  She can live another 5-8 years.  When I adopted the best dog in the Universe - Scrappy Doo - he was 9.  And he was a medium-large dog.  I had him in my life for almost another 9 years!  These senior dogs are perfection.  And, if not perfection, they deserve special treatment.  They deserve the very best of EVERYTHING.  I am, of course, glad that none of these people adopted her because, clearly, they don't deserve her.  I'm done.  For the moment.
Seriously, what is not to love
about this dog?
*****
Unfortunately, due to a large list of things that had to get done, PP and I were only able to stay for an hour and a half.  I did get to meet a few of the rescue volunteers that I had never met in person, so that was nice.  Another Dramamine for the trip home - she is such a little trooper - and I dropped her off, picked up Mr. Butters, and headed for a local humane society another 40 minutes in the opposite direction.  I had placed an order from Chewy.com and it had been erroneously delivered to them.  Apparently, Chewy.com automatically pulls up and delivers to the last address, even though that address is used, say, once a millennium.  Anyway, the humane society was very nice about it and held my package and Chewy.com gave me a credit for the inconvenience.  They are a great group to deal with.  I took Butters with me because he needed to get out of the house and Lovey is still struggling with her torn CCL.  Butters is a very good traveling companion and it was nice to have some Mom/Pup one on one time.  I retrieved my box, was impressed with the facility and staff, and headed home.  Butters and I took a short detour to share a small soft-serve ice cream cone (he got the cone and half of the ice cream).  Back at home, I ticked off a few of the to-do's on my list and spent a lot of time watering.  At the top of that list was adapting my second rain barrel.  Done!
A converted Kalamata barrel -
the chicken's water will smell
like a Greek salad for days!
Sunday was the last firehouse breakfast with the Boys, then off to Marianne's farm for my work-for-vege.  She went to a graduation, so I was left with my task of weeding the greenhouse and got to revel in the beauty of the place.  It sits high on a hill, with a sweeping vista.  It is quiet and there is nothing but birdsong, some lowing of the Highland cows and distant chicken noises.  It is pure Nirvana.
On the way to the greenhouse

There she is!

View from the greenhouse, orchard
between


Hugelkultur beds, through the
orchard, to the pool.

Barn with raised beds with
strawberries - be still my back!

Scottish Highland cows
Why is it that it's so much more fun to weed someone else's garden?  Of course, their farm is organic and planted on permaculture principles, so I am sure that has something to do with it - nothing like a well-organized, beautiful farm to make labor such a joy!  I managed to get four trug-fuls of weeds pulled and picked up my swag (shiitake and oyster mushrooms, microgreens, tons of mixed greens) made a stop and then hit the ground running when I got home.  I did more laundry in anticipation of an upcoming rainy couple of days, weeded a large bed, took down the fencing around the duck village and moved it into position across the chicken yard.  Two years ago, just as the grass started to come back in the yard, we got about two weeks of torrential rain, followed by high temperatures and drought.  It was enough to kill all of the grass.  I am now in the process of cordoning off portions of the yard so that I can bring the grass back.  Not an easy process, due to the nature of chickens (scratch everything to death!)  I also finished setting up the rain barrel, got the laundry off the line and helped my neighbor load his truck with a bunch of metal crap that had been getting on my nerves for years.  This is shaping up to be the year of the Great Clean Up.  Let's hope so - it feels so, so virtuous and good.  I did not get pictures of my modest garden or the reseeding process because my arms were too tired to hold up my phone.  Egads.  The dogs and I had our dinner and a nice round of DVD viewing, before I went comatose at 9P.  The rain started at 2:14A (yes, I know it precisely) and the temperature this morning was 44!  Quite a difference from the 80 of yesterday!  The rain was very light and there wasn't much to show in the rain barrel (I will get a pic of it posted this week), but, still, when I plant the grass seed after work tonight, it should be enough to give the new grass a boost!

28 comments:

ellen abbott said...

oh (generic little) god, you do more than I do. you make me tired and that's saying something.

Michelle said...

I'm surprised you didn't move in, change the locks, and refuse to answer the door when Marianne got home! What a beautiful farm, utilizing lots of principles my husband would only scoff at....

Theresa said...

Well, I am only slightly exhausted after reading this. I came prepared with coffee in hand to boost my reserves while I read. I don't get it either on the seniors. Spike was 9ish and Mandy 8. I've taken young dogs and old, but the older ones always are the sweetest. pack Miss PP up and ship her to me....
Your rescue needs to really wok on the benefits of senior dogs, showcase them. The young ones get snapped up simply due to age usually with less work. Oh yes, we can feed each other's rant nicely!
You get to weed at a lovely place. It is nice to just hear nature isn't it?
Congrats for making it through another busy (understatement) weekend.

Mama Pea said...

I can see how that "rest and relaxation" time spent at Marianne's place was just what you needed in the midst of all your other hurley-burley of the weekend. (Maybe you should have taken a cot up there with you and spent the night. ;o}) Fun seeing the pictures of her place. So lovely.

Susan said...

I think it's more that I have to do what everyone else does in a day and a half. Butters was so PO'd at being put in his crate multiple times, that he shredded part of his crate pad. Little darling...

Susan said...

Don't think the thought hasn't crossed my mind...

Susan said...

Lovey was the youngest dog I have had - at 2. Then Mr. Butters arrived at 3 y/o. But Bernie (8), Scrappy (9) and Pepper (10) were the best from the get-go. I'm looking forward to a restful week at work.

Susan said...

Maybe I should bring my tent next time? There are two gardens I like to look at just because they are neat and tidy and grow beautiful vege - Marianne's and the Pea Family's. I would weed for you any day! xo

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Clever idea for the barrel.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

44 degrees! i'm moving. i thought it was cool this morning and it was 62. this is going to be a long summer! that farm is awesome!

Toni said...

OMG! When do you rest? I've got to go lay down just from reading this post!

wisps of words said...

Again! I'm exhausted! Just reading! All this, and recovering from Lime Disease, too!

Wanna' hear something thing, concerning dog rescue and adoption, to curl-your-toes??????????? Our oldest grand daughter, a smart woman who is an electrical engineer, is adopting a dog............
........
........
........

Are you ready for this??????
........
........
........

From Kuwait
........
........
........

Words fail me...

What the $&^%*((^%$%$^ about all the dogs in this country, who are abused and etc.????? Why go with a place which rescues dogs, from another country???? And go to fund raisers, for this entity??????

To me, it is the pervasive view, that We Are The World. Now even extending, to adopting needy dogs, not from one's own country, but from some far flung other country.

And it is maddddddddddddddddd...

Calm down, I know. Calm down. Calm down....

Rain said...

Hi Susan :)))
Oh, I know what you mean...we adopted Jack when he was 9 years old, he's like a gosh-darn puppy and he will outlive all the big dogs I'm sure of that. It's like the kid adoption thing, everyone wants an infant, grown kids aren't "cute" anymore or something. Your rain barrel looks fabulous! We were so tempted to buy one at a garage sale last weekend, $20 and it was HUGE...but then we realized we'd have to MOVE it next year and decided to wait! Marianne's place looks so nice! I hope I can have an orchard and a nice greenhouse in the future! What a wonderful way to earn your veggies!!! :)

Susan said...

I can imagine those views washing over your soul and renewing your spirit. Much as I love my tornado pups I would go for an older dog any day.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Just think of all the wonderful fruits and veg you'll get for all your hard work weeding!

tpals said...

I wish I was close by to meet Layla. Nice that you can go back to work and rest up for next weekend. ;)

Peter said...

My Peppertree dog is now 14, he was 12 when I adopted him. He is going strong (small dog) and a great joy.

Susan said...

Would he like a sister? :)

Susan said...

Kristina, I bought a rain barrel kit from Home Depot and it is very easy to convert any type of barrel. Now all we need is a good rainfall!

Susan said...

And again this morning! I had to pull the down blanket back out of storage. I was thinking about you this morning - I am just unable to function in heat and humidity. I'd be on the floor, in front of the fan with Winnie.

Susan said...

:) I force myself to go to bed around 9:30, then lie there and think about everything I need to do the next day. It's a vicious circle.

Susan said...

We have dogs from Iran (paralyzed after being tossed out third story windows), the Bahamas, Korea, Turkey, you name it. We also have dogs from Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Texas, North and South Carolina, Tennessee, the list goes on. Apparently, the Northeasterners are steadfast adopters of any rescue dogs, no matter where they come from.

Susan said...

And Jack is so completely adorable! I just cannot resist a furry face with grey on it. I water my garden solely with my rain barrel on the other side of the house. This one (should we ever get a good rainfall to fill it...) will take care of the chicken/duck yard - I am really looking forward to that, as I have to haul 5-gal buckets of water from the opposite side of the house and up and over the deck!

Susan said...

Yes, I'm too old for a puppy! There are few surprises with an older dog - they are what you see. You hit the nail on the head. No matter what the chatter in my head, standing and looking out at that green just makes everything slow down and focus on the beauty.

Susan said...

I already have dibs on vege that I've planted! Their shiitake mushrooms are the best I've ever eaten. And wait until you see the tomatoes - she/we put in 109 plants! Wahoo!

Susan said...

I wish you could, too. It is going to be very difficult to part with her. She loves to be held and she is so warm and soft. It's very healing.

Susan said...

Peter - are you going to be at the Clark Member gala bash on the 11th?

Susan said...

I keep saying I’m going to sleep in the garden. The only thing holding me back is the fear of a bear sniffing me.