Pages

Friday, March 1, 2019

Bits and Blobs.

If my life was a load of laundry, it would have been beaten against the rocks on the river this week.  After shuffling into work in my slippers, furry teeth and all (snort) when we last spoke, there was Wednesday.  It took me over two and a half hours to get home - with two very close calls.  I am convinced there is a regional condition called "seasonal amnesia", where a person's mind is wiped clean over the summer of all thoughts and experiences of winter, and all the joys it brings - like driving in it.  I cut my driving teeth on the southern shore of Lake Erie, so I know winter.  There was one winter where I went to work on my cross country skis because I couldn't dig my car out of the parking lot.  Only to find I was the only one there - they had called everyone BUT me to inform them the office was closed.


The very first and foremost rule of thumb to maintaining life and property when the roads are hazardous, is to drive slowly, steadily, and go lightly on the brakes.  Last night, at least three nimrods were driving too fast, realized it, then slammed on their brakes.  One hit the car behind me, but I was watching and maneuvered out of the way.  The second bounced off the exit guardrail to the left of me, but cleared me by a car's length.  The third hit the same guardrail, and then skittered across the road in front of me (about three feet from my car), hit the guardrail to my right and ended up facing the wrong way in the lane to my left.  JM&J.  With rapidly rising blood pressure and the coiffure of a hedgehog, I inched ahead and was finally able to exit off the freeway.  The roads were not that snow-covered, but they were sure icy.  Even with all my 'expertise', I came very close to going off the road and down an embankment.  By the time I got home, I was a wreck. 


Thank goodness it snowed enough to justify working from home, because I couldn't face getting in the car and retracing that route yesterday. 


Then Peanut hurt his back again.  Mysteriously, as always.  We are back to the crate for 4-6 weeks and I am picking up his meds tomorrow.  Tomorrow, I need to get everything done because we are in for another snow 'event' (Winter Storm Xavier, anyone?) from Sunday into Monday.


The domino effect in my side woods:
You'll have to biggify to see the toppled trees
The 'dusting' of snow predicted for Wednesday into Thursday:
Note the roof of the quail hutch.
A couple of gems unearthed in my stress-bashing purge mission:

Dad's first resume from graduation.
Ancient photo from my trip to South Dakota between
my junior and senior years in high school.  I'm holding
Lester Leadercharge - he of the double dimples.
(Hey!  What ever happened to my eyebrows???)
Yesterday, during my lunch break, I went through an entire box of photographs and recycled about 95 percent of them.  As are the contents of my freezer and canning shelves, about 1 percent were labeled, leaving the rest in a vague veil of mystery.  I had the unmitigated pleasure of shredding old boyfriends and keeping all the cat and dog photos.  Hindsight is always so clear, isn't it?


I finished my fancy socks, but haven't taken a photograph of them.  I have started to work on my large stash of forgotten knitting kit projects.  Although the thought of sock-knitting makes my eyes cross, I ran across a kit for Fancy Feet Anklets - Socks for the Week.  Anklets, I thought.  Snap.  I wonder why I haven't worked on these...

Cute, no?
This is why I have not touched them in over
six years. 
Since I was determined to get a least one pair done, I gritted my teeth and slogged through the 61 rows required to make the heel.  61 rows, including 122 wrap-and-turns, then having to pick up all those bloody wraps.  Well, needless to say, I missed a few and I DON'T CARE.  They are worn on my feet, in my shoes, so pffft.  Need I say that I will not be knitting Tuesday's through Sunday's anklets?   I can't even indulge in an adult beverage while knitting this heel, for fear that my socks will look like they've been hit with a scourge of pox if I miss picking up those dadgum wraps.


However, right after the vet, hairdresser, folks, and grocery, I will be hitting the local package store.  Along with everyone and their Uncle Mick, with Winter Storm Xavier looming on the near horizon.
Cheers!









15 comments:

Susan said...

You were a hottie!!! Can you work from home from say, October to April? I can not wear anklets, it always feels is if my socks have fallen down and drives me nuts. Stay warm, stay safe!

Michelle said...

OY! So glad you avoided all the accidents! I had to use the little 4x4 truck (replacement for the one Brian wrecked) to drive to town Wed. and Thurs. to get out of our driveway and up our gravel road, but the rest of the roadways were just wet or dry.

What is a 'package store'? I hope you can get all your errands done before the next snow dump hits you. Sending warm hugs.

Susan said...

Susa, I was a hottie nerd, if that's even possible! Thanks, you. xo

Michelle, I am very thankful to have AWD and 4WD on call - and a working clutch and transmission. Still, ice trumps 4WD every time. A package store is our version of a liquor store. While one can buy wine and beer in the grocery, liquor or fortified beverages are sold in separate stores. All I know is, winter is not over. A big, warm hug back.

Ed said...

Around here after a "snow event", the ditches will be littered with pickups and SUV's while you only see the occasional small sedan. People forget that just because they can get going fast, that it doesn't stop them any faster and with the extra mass, it actually stops them slower. I've seen lots of trucks and SUV's around town missing bumpers, fenders, headlights and such. I'm sure the body shops are going to be full as soon as spring arrives.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Nothing worse than icy road conditions. Glad your skill as a winter driver kept you safe!

Mama Pea said...

Well, shiver me timbers, that must have been a horrible drive home! You had to be an excellent winter driver to have missed all that slip-sliding, crash-banging going on around you! So glad you made it home safely.

Knitting socks with that many rows to turn a heel is more (much more) than I'm willing to attempt. The only time I wear those little footie socks is when I'm in my garden shoes in the garden. I buy the cheapo white ones because they're only white once, if you know what I mean.

Sorry to hear about little weenie dog. Again. I think he needs to see a chiropractor regularly. (Just imagine how that would deflate your wallet!)

You didn't get a lot of snow first of the winter so I guess Mother Nature is trying to catch you up. We're coasting along here with cold temps, but no significant snows lately. But, dum-da-dum-dum, March still has to be gotten through yet!

tpals said...

I should write a post about driving to work this morning but I'm too tired. I need a weekend to recover. At least it gave us a handy topic for small talk.

You're a stronger woman than I to finish those socks when the instructions are longer than the finished project!

Theresa said...

Our continuing snow event finally ended. I got stuck in the driveway and Gene had to tow me out with the jeep/plow. Today will be my Thursday, shopping, errands and general in town torture, but I just might have to stop in at my favorite yarn store....
Oh poor Mr. Butters. May the meds and libations be .....soothing. ;-)
Forget anklets, head right to that sweater will ya! I wanna see it.

ellen abbott said...

adventures in driving is why I DO NOT live where it gets snow and ice. dealing with an entire county highway that is under construction is bad enough with 18 wheelers barreling down the alleys of barriers and no shoulders. I am, however getting pretty tired of the rain. though cross country skiing to work sounds like fun.

Joanne Noragon said...

I knit lots and lots of socks. Wool socks are all that keep my feet warm in winter. I have friends who struggle with complex patters for socks. No, No, No, I tell them. Learn that a sock is a sock, not a complex mass of stitches by a person who probably doesn't understand stocks, either. I teach them plain old Adam Bede, Red Cross, world wars I and II army socks. Plain vanilla socks. Then they can understand what is wrong with the instructions, if they absolutely must knit fancy socks that only will get a hole in them! Then I shw them how to darn. :-)

Retired Knitter said...

My dad was a north PA native and he knew how to drive in snow - and shared those tips with me. Slow and steady wins the race - you are absolutely right! And it also helps to have a good car - like a Subaru to help manage it. When we visited Alaska, (one July years ago), we noticed 2 things - parking lots had individual heaters that the cars could plug into - and about 75% of the cars were Subarus. I am on my 3rd Subaru and they have all been my "good buddies" in snow and ice.

Helen said...

There has to be a sort of 'zen' attitude to driving in snow/ice which explains most of the people having problems. My husband and I taught for many years at American schools overseas. Winter in Germany we often got a 5:30 call that school was going to have a delayed opening (at 10 instead of 8), but we got up about the same time and drove off carefully and slowly. German road crews basically give the roads up for the night at mid-night and don't start working on them again until 6 am (why fight a losing cause). Our house was in a very small 'town' but the road made a loop through our 'town' and the road crew used it to get turned around to head back towards the main road and bigger town. So we were often able to get on the road easier than others in bigger places. But slow, easy, no sudden changes of velocity (+ or -).

Nancy In Boise said...

Glad you're safe!!!

Leigh said...

People do not know how to drive. Thankfully you know how to pay attention! Nice to do some cleaning out, isn't it?

Sam I Am...... said...

Thank God you got home safe and sound! I need to hear more tales of clearing and cleaning so I don't feel so alone! LOL! Good for you. We were all gorgeous when we were young but we never realized it....and now for me it is way too late! LOL! My entire body looks like a roll of crepe paper. But I digress...speaking of knitting...yesterday I went to work on my first toe up socks and pretty sure I had made a mistake, I was able to successfully put in an afterthought lifeline. It was a first and it helped that the socks were striped. I was so thrilled and got back on track but now I think I'm still not knitting the gusset properly so I will revisit my regular cuff down socks patterns and see if I can tell and I think there might be another afterthought lifeline in my future!
I used to live in the land of snow and ice but retired to Arkansas which sees very little but I miss it! I commuted for years risking life and limb and now that I could really stay home and enjoy some good old fashioned blizzards I am living in the land of a dead landscape during the winter which by all rights should be covered with something....it's not pretty. I love your blog and your sense of humor! Stay safe and warm and work from home!