Pages

Monday, May 13, 2019

Where have you been all my life, Everything Parmesan Crisps?

I'd have inserted a photograph here, but I ate them.  All of them.  Without pause.  Well, with some pauses, but short ones.  And there is no use to photograph he weather.  Think rain forest.


I am not going to go on about the weather, because I hate it and it makes me hyperventilate.  We had about 5 hours without rain and about 3 hours of sun over the weekend.  (STOP IT, depressing weather-speak!)


Anyhoo, I had made an appointment for a spa pedicure - strictly on the basis of testing out the facility, you understand.  We (my younger sister and I) are plotting my middle sister's birthday surprise and, being in the veritable middle of nowhere, it's not easy to come up with luxurious day spas that don't cost an arm and a leg and include half a day's travel.  I was quite pleasantly surprised (I apologize, nice spa lady, if I snored....or drooled...) and so we are set.  All that is left is to further plot how we are going to get her there.  I have volunteered to lie like a rug and then kidnap her and deliver her - blindfolded, if needed - to her mini-spa treatment.  I am nothing if not sneaky.


By the time I got home, I had about one hour to do outside work before the rain returned.  I had invited a 'friend' for a glass of wine and finger foods, so was tear-assing around, cleaning and straightening, when I got a text saying she really didn't have time.  (Ergo, the quotation marks around friend.)  So, there I sat with a relatively tidied house, a chilled bottle of rose and a plate full of Everything Parmesan Crisps, a new recipe.  So I tried one.  Made animal sounds and ate the rest.  The recipe is from Skinny Taste (thank you, Sylvie, for introducing me to them!) and is incredibly easy:


Grate 1/2 cup parmesan cheese on the large holes of a box grater.  Line a baking tray with a silicone mat (preferable) or parchment paper.  Divide the cheese into four separate little piles on the lined pan, spread each pile out to about a 4" circle, leaving room between.  Put in a preheated 400 degree oven for 3 minutes.  Remove from oven, sprinkle each with  3/4 tsp of a combination of sesame seeds, dried onion flakes, dried garlic flakes and poppy seeds (I use Trader Joe's Everything but the Bagel mix), then put them back in the oven for 3-5 minutes, until they are golden.  Take out and let them cool.  You're welcome.


I slogged out to the yard and clipped a shopping bag of nettle tops, slogged back in and blanched them, freezing some and making my favorite spring soup out of the rest.  I have to say that I like nettles more than spinach in some recipes, this being one - it's basic:


Half a shopping bag of nettle tops, blanched for 3 minutes, put in an ice bath, then thick stems removed and nettles roughly chopped


Heat a nugget of butter and a slur-up of olive oil in a soup pan (I use the same pan as I did to blanch the nettles - dishes, you know) and saute until translucent a small onion, chopped, and a stalk or two of celery, chopped.  Add to this some diced potatoes and about 2-3 cups of chicken broth (or vege broth), a bay leaf and a teaspoon of dried thyme.  Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes.  Add the nettles and more broth or water if needed.  Simmer 10 minutes more, until potatoes are tender.  Remove the bay leaf and use an immersion blender or pour (carefully) into a blender and blend until smooth.  You can add a dollop of heavy cream or half and half if you wish, but I like mine straight up.  It helps you through the cold, wet weather.


Other than that - Mother's Day was a dark, cold, rainy blur - I did more cleaning and then canoed up to Vermont and back.  I have potted up the last of my seedlings and planted the Bibb lettuce and arugula in the cold frame.  It was too wet to put up the electronet for the sheep yet, but I did get the energizer set up. 


I sit in the early mornings, knitting away, and listen to the birds wake up amidst the pitter-pat of the incessant rain.  I know that this weather will pass - eventually.  As is now commonplace, the rain will stop, it will become summer overnight and I will be moaning and groaning about the lack of rain.  There is no pleasing me.  I should take my cue from the resident Carolina Wren - he is filled with music, no matter what the weather.  Just happy to be alive.



15 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

once again, we got only the tail end of the rain. i'm loving the cool weather knowing it will not last for long. my plants need sun and heat though!

Susan said...

I wouldn't even mind the cooler temps - I prefer them - but all this rain means that I will have a real struggle to get the garden in this year.

ellen abbott said...

we got 9 1/2" in 9 days with more supposed to come this week. yippee! though it did bring in some cooler temps which are quickly dissipating. as soon as the sun comes out it's summer. yes, take your cue from the wren.

Rain said...

Oooh I like those Parm chips!!! I'm going to make some! I have only grated Parm (the real stuff not the powdered)...maybe I can make a pile from that and do the rest...in my Martha Stewart "Appetizers" book, she calls them Frico Chips. I had them slated for some Christmas or New Year's dinner but then completely forgot about them!

Too bad about your "friend"...that's not very nice. But then you had the entire rosé just for you! Huzzah! ;)

We have the same crappy weather. The sun peaked out today then ran away with it's tail between its legs sigh.

Susan said...

Good gawd. That is even more rain than we have had. I would be either homicidal or suicidal at that amount. Good thing you have kittens to distract you!

Susan said...

Oh, you and Alex will LOVE these! They do say that pre-shredded may or may not work. But it's worth the try! Yes, I am glad that I did not have to waste/share the rose...I'm afraid that I tend to hang onto the idea of friendship, rather than the real thing, mostly out of desperation. I live on a virtual island here.

Mama Pea said...

The darn weather really does dictate a lot of what we can and cannot do with our lives, doesn't it? We've haven't had the way too much rain as you have but we haven't had much in the way of warm temps either. I'm not putting a thing in the garden until the first week of June.

Your "friend" did not do a decent thing cancelling after you went to the trouble of making a nice visit for her. If she fell and broke her leg or she got an emergency call from a family member . . . well, okay, we might accept that as a good enough excuse. But for her to cancel because she was "too busy?" Nuh-uh. She knew your date was scheduled so she should have managed her time better. Or politely refused the invitation in the first place. (Grumble, grumble, grouch, grouch.)

Michelle said...

Our rain stopped and the weather turned to LATE summer overnight – a month ago. Huzzah for cancelled 'dates' because more free time and parm chips for YOU. heh. ;-)

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Oh... I would have been really disappointed / ticked / sad about the friend not showing up (but, hey, it meant a clean house??). I am so DONE with this weather. At least you are making progress with seedings, etc. My vegetable garden is pretty much looking like part of the lawn now. Haven't weeded, tilled, planted... The parmesan crisps sound deadly and addictive! -Jenn

Ed said...

The only thing I can say good about the weather is at least the seeded patch in my lawn that the city dug earlier this year is growing nicely without me having to water it.

Susan said...

I guess it was a good thing (the cancelling) as it has shed me of any feeling of responsibility of holding up a friendship since there doesn't seem to be one. Things change, people change and we all need to move ahead. I think this is the longest I've gone without getting something in the garden. It's too cold AND wet! Pfft.

Susan said...

Too bad we can't mix our weather up to make the perfect climate, right? Yes! I had no complaints about being 'forced' to eat all the crisps. I've made them with other cheeses, too, and they are all wonderful! I mean... cheese. What's not to love?

Susan said...

True, but I would have rather been outside trying to beat down the chaos, rather than running around tidying up. All my seedlings are living (barely) on my dining room table - it's too cold and wet to put them out. I'm with you on the weeds. It's going to take forever to get my garden in any decent shape. Oh, yes, they are totally addictive...

Susan said...

I'm clinging to the idea that it's all lovely green because of all this rain. But, still. It would be lovely green with only a quarter of this rain!

Retired Knitter said...

Pharm Crisps! Yes. I love Skinny Taste as well. Sorry about your 'friend.' But you did have the enjoyment of not 'sharing.' And maybe that was the silver lining. I often wonder how some people can be so unaware of how their actions and or words impact others.